Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Non-Sport Almanac 2022 - 8th

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/656602453/m/7517044996

October 15, 2022, 02:53 PM
Raven
Non-Sport Almanac 2022 - 8th
While I heard nothing about it and saw no ads, the newest edition of Beckett's Non-Sport Almanac is out. I found it at my LHS today and will be looking thru it shortly.

Surprised there wasn't an open thread about it this year, as there were many suggestions made when the Almanac was revised for 2021.
October 15, 2022, 03:46 PM
catskilleagle
I was thinking about that earlier this month as I heard nothing about it either - even wondered if it wasn't coming out this year because of all the crazy prices some things were selling for or said to be selling for.
October 16, 2022, 04:02 AM
hammer
Very starnge not to hear anything about it. Last year you could even vote on the cover!!! Maybe they didn't want any input this year.
October 16, 2022, 07:48 AM
jademaliburoad
I was wondering about it too. Not yet available on the online store.
What's on the cover?

October 16, 2022, 02:43 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by jademaliburoad:
I was wondering about it too. Not yet available on the online store.
What's on the cover?

Three cards overlapping, all Precious Metal Gems.

A green Spiderman, centered between a red Iron Man and a blue Captain America.
October 16, 2022, 04:10 PM
Heroes For Hire
I saw that a post on the nonsportupdate Instagram on May 25 with a picture of the cover that it was coming soon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce...?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Then in mid-August started to noticed pre-sell listing on the ‘bay. Then late-September my LCS had a copy Eek I was hoping to get the latest NSU at that time so that was a surprise to see the Almanac instead. BTW, my LCS still hasn’t received the Oct/Nov issue though Roll Eyes

I’d guess Beckett’s move to another office building, new CEO, the Industry Summit/card shows in Las Vegas, revamping of the BGS Grading service among other things probably contributed to sparse information on this year’s Non-Sport Almanac here on CardTalk.
October 16, 2022, 06:18 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
I’d guess Beckett’s move to another office building, new CEO, the Industry Summit/card shows in Las Vegas, revamping of the BGS Grading service among other things probably contributed to sparse information on this year’s Non-Sport Almanac here on CardTalk.

Their new CEO is from the tech world, not the hobby. That said, getting more information to and from Card Talk would seem even more valuable. No? Wink
October 16, 2022, 06:47 PM
Heroes For Hire
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

Their new CEO is from the tech world, not the hobby. That said, getting more information to and from Card Talk would seem even more valuable. No? Wink

Unfortunately, I wouldn’t necessarily agree that getting and giving information to Card Talk members would be highly valued. Fixing the umbrella Beckett brand would be more of a priority.

Maybe I blinked and missed it, but I didn’t noticed any mention of Non-Sport Update nor Card Talk in this interview with the new CEO that I found on the Beckett Message Boards under the Non-Sport Formum (https://www.beckett.com/forums/announcement-43.html) . . .

https://www.sportscollectorsda...on-ceo-kunal-chopra/

Maybe after things settle down then the niche Non-Sport Update crowd get a little more attention.
October 16, 2022, 07:51 PM
Raven
quote:
Unfortunately, I wouldn’t necessarily agree that getting and giving information to Card Talk members would be highly valued. Fixing the umbrella Beckett brand would be more of a priority.

The priority seems to be competing with PSA and maybe even eBay and COMC, depending on all these new products and services hinted at in the article over at Dave & Adam's. However, before you build the platforms, you have to know the business and you have to engage your customers.

If that means "refining our core offerings - Pricing, Grading, and Authentication Services - but also expanding to newer services and categories beyond trading cards and comic books", it couldn't hurt to ask the actual customers what they are really buying and what they really need.

Just like if you've put together an updated Almanac, it wouldn't hurt to say you are selling it. Big Grin
October 17, 2022, 12:57 AM
catskilleagle
Matt seems to have appreciated any help that has been offered in the past. I've sent him pricing updates on various cards over the past few years though I couldn't get everything together this year.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

Maybe I blinked and missed it, but I didn’t noticed any mention of Non-Sport Update nor Card Talk in this interview with the new CEO that I found on the Beckett Message Boards under the Non-Sport Formum (https://www.beckett.com/forums/announcement-43.html) . . .

https://www.sportscollectorsda...on-ceo-kunal-chopra/

Maybe after things settle down then the niche Non-Sport Update crowd get a little more attention.

October 17, 2022, 04:12 AM
BeckettBible24
Hey everyone! You can find the Non-Sport Almanac available for sale at this link:

2022 Non-Sport Almanac
December 12, 2022, 03:02 PM
jademaliburoad
Received it today.

December 13, 2022, 01:28 AM
catskilleagle
I haven't seen the current edition but I've bought one at Barnes & Noble before. It was wrapped in plastic. I thought there might be something inserted with it.
December 17, 2022, 04:42 AM
catskilleagle
I stopped by a B&N yesterday and it did have the new Almanac along with various other Beckett price guides (Wrestling, Graded Card, etc.).
May 20, 2023, 08:52 PM
Heroes For Hire
I noticed on Instagram the other day that the next almanac wrapped and will have Doctor Who on the cover. Wonder when it’ll hit the newsstands.

Also, Beckett has another new CEO. Bet that previous guy didn’t get to the non-sport area of the company because of all the attention go towards Beckett Grading Service (BGS). That’s been rather interesting watching the various rebranding.
May 21, 2023, 03:49 AM
catskilleagle
It's been getting released around August-September and it has been around this time that the cut-off for all the info to be gathered is set.

quote:
I noticed on Instagram the other day that the next almanac wrapped and will have Doctor Who on the cover. Wonder when it’ll hit the newsstands.

Also, Beckett has another new CEO. Bet that previous guy didn’t get to the non-sport area of the company because of all the attention go towards Beckett Grading Service (BGS). That’s been rather interesting watching the various rebranding.