Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Passing of Dan Hemphill

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/656602453/m/739100421

May 22, 2009, 10:15 PM
H_Toser
Passing of Dan Hemphill
We have just learned that NSU friend Dan Hemphill recently passed away. Many of you may recognize Dan's name from the Finders Keepers section of NSU. Dan was a big contributor to this section of NSU. Though we haven't been able to run the Finders Keepers section in a while for various reasons, Dan continued to submit his "finds" until as recently as last month.

Dan first contacted NSU quite a number of years ago; in fact, I believe it was even before e-mail became ubiquitous. And since then, Dan's manila envelopes filled with samples and photocopies of card related items found both in his native Canada and abroad came in every couple of months. Dan must have spent countless hours writing these items up for us and sending them in along with a small fortune of his own money spent in postage to get them here. That's true dedication to the hobby, I would say!

Unfortunately, we never got to meet Dan but we'll miss him all the same.
May 22, 2009, 11:43 PM
chesspieceface
Finders Keepers has always been one of my favorite NSU sections, and I am sorry hear one of its most important contributors is gone.

Here's a chance to salute and thank Mr. Hemphill for his devotion to the hobby and I'm glad he loved this thing of ours all the way to the end. May the same thing will be said of me someday.

Rest in peace, Dan. Here's hoping there's more great cards for you to find whereever you are...
Angel

May 23, 2009, 01:58 PM
miket999
I am very sorry to hear of Dan's passing. I too regularly read the Finders Keepers section each issue, and had contributed myself a few times.

I was always amazed at how many things Dan would finds to let us know about, most I was never able to find myself. It made the hunt interesting though.

Rest in peace Dan and maybe there are cards in heaven.

Mike.
May 23, 2009, 02:01 PM
comicbookfan
I've enjoyed going over Finders Keepers many times.
Rest in peace Dan.

May 23, 2009, 02:32 PM
Mister E.
Even though a lot of us never met "Dan the Man", i always liked the Finders/Keepers section that he wrote about. It was very informative and had me on the look out for card items. Dan, you will be missed. Frown Frown Thumb Up

May 25, 2009, 07:01 AM
Quaint1
quote:
Rest in peace Dan and maybe there are cards in heaven.

I second that, though if there are, Dan WILL find them...
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast
May 25, 2009, 10:01 AM
wolfie
Sad to hear this, Dan was one of those names you knew but had never met.

Thanks for all the finds.

May 25, 2009, 11:34 AM
allender
Dang. Dan was always somebody I figured I would be delighted to share a beer or two with and then go out "exploring," either physically or in cyberspace. I guess we all feel like we knew him. He'll be missed.
May 26, 2009, 11:26 AM
Bill DeFranzo
My relationship with Dan goes back to at least the early 90's. I believe that my first contact with Dan was through an ad that I had placed in "The Wrapper". My memory regarding specifics is now vague but his kindness was such that one time after he wrote a letter to "The Wrapper" about not being able to renew his subscription due to a temporary set back, I anonymously renewed it for him. I'm not in the habit of doing stuff like that. It can only have been attributable to Dan being Dan.

AKA: Promo Czar (self-appointed)
May 26, 2009, 12:43 PM
wolfie
Funny you should mention that Bill as i'm looking for someone to anonymously renew my NSU subscription and i have no objection to changing my name to Dan if it will help. Big Grin

May 26, 2009, 03:09 PM
john the hat
Bad Taste wolfie Twak

May 26, 2009, 05:24 PM
hammer
A Sad day for NSU - shame it was spoiled by a VERY silly person
May 27, 2009, 09:08 AM
STCardGeek
Carol Burnett once said, "Comedy is tragedy plus time." Might wanna consider that, cause day one isn't enough time.
I was sorry to read the news. Finders and Keepers was a treasure trove of goodies and Dan's finds were always a pleasure to read.
I miss those days..when surrpise items could show up anywhere and we needed our roving reporters.
I was excited to see this new Trek movie brought us surpirse trek cards..blockbuster, AMC...the "party promos", Danbury Mint now has cards. My favorite kinda cards..the ones you have to keep your eyes open for. Dan woulda approved (and likely been the first to show 'em to NSU!)!

May 27, 2009, 09:58 AM
Over_Worked_Mom
Indeed. This is very sad news Frown Dan will be missed. Hey Harris - maybe you can make the next Finders Keepers in Memory of Dan?
May 30, 2009, 09:18 AM
Komodo
Wow- I knew I recognised the name, but couldn't place it. Sad to hear he's passed on. I always wondered how he could find so many of the things he did!

June 25, 2009, 03:30 AM
BM Collectibles
I just read of Dan's passing.

Personally I had been in touch with Dan many times over the years, lots of times me seeking information.

He will be missed!

Peace be with you my friend.
September 24, 2009, 05:47 PM
BILLZEE
I just learned of Dan's passing... My sympathy goes out to his family & friends. We lost a generous contributor to our hobby. Will miss reading about all his neat card discoveries...
September 25, 2009, 08:39 AM
AJJ
Rest in Peace.