Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Borders Stores Closing
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
As you may have already heard, Borders is closing its remaining 399 locations. The stores are expected to be out of business by the end of September.

For those who purchased Non-Sport Update at Borders, we hope you will continue to support us by purchasing directly from us (through the Non-Sport Update online store) or through your local hobby dealer, comic shop, Barnes & Noble or other newsstand outlet.

If you have friends who you know purchase Non-Sport Update through Borders, please pass this message along to them.

Thank you.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
2 posts on the same subject is a "NO NO", you posted it. hahahaha Borders is my #1 comic book, computer book store and always find bargain cd's and dvd's there.

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
Harris, let me ask you this: all my local Borders closed down when the first wave of closings happened, so I started ordering and buying my issues at my regular comic book store. Would it be more helpful to you if I just subscribed?

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason00:
Harris, let me ask you this: all my local Borders closed down when the first wave of closings happened, so I started ordering and buying my issues at my regular comic book store. Would it be more helpful to you if I just subscribed?

No, I would never tell to stop supporting your local store and buy from us over them. We appreciate that you do buy NSU locally.

The worrying part for us are those readers that count on Borders to get their copy and now will just vanish or the whole ordeal will make them loose interest.

Thanks for asking Jason.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
The truly sad thing is that Borders didn't have to shut, not altogether anyway. A plan was in place with "Direct Brands" to keep a number of the stores going and would have raised $215 million for creditors right away. The creditors however believed that by liquidating they could bring in $254 Million and stopped the deal. Now it's all gone and 11,000 people lost there jobs.

I know this will have an impact on the NSU I hope it's minimal, and that new outlets can be found for the magazine. The more shops it is in the more impulse buyers (which can be converted) it may pick up. It really should be an item stocked by all comic and hobby shops.

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I always enjoyed Borders. We had one in New Orleans just a few blocks from my sister's house and one in Jackson, MS down the street from my favorite comic book shop. Both stores always seemed to have an active/moderate crowd when I went in. The staff was usally pretty friendly too. It's a shame.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blackholeman
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness for my local comic shop, as no bookstore (Barnes and Noble) carries NSU here.

Posts: 150 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I also shopped at the local Borders and found quite a few books and DVDs that were not carried anywhere else near me, especially with imports. However I have to admit that I haven't been buying from them nearly as much as I used to in the past two years.

Everyone says that the digital age is killing books and that's why sales at Borders and Barnes and Noble went down. I think that's true, but not because of digital books online, simply because print books and CDs and DVDs could all be ordered cheaper on the internet. In some cases up to $10 cheaper an item.

Stores like BJs and Walmart were regularly undercutting the prices at Borders and forget about Amazon. So what can consumers do when they want to support a business, but can get the same thing for a lot less at the clink of a mouse?

Funny part is, once all the competition is driven out, you wind up with situations like NetFlix raising the subscription prices across the board and what are the choices. Guess its called the free market system at work. Wink

Posts: 10381 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Raven

In my opinion the digital age is not just killing books these days as per the following example. Recently my wife and I were thinking about getting a new gas stove and whilst we were visiting another store in an industrial estate on the outskirts of the nearest town about 8 miles away. We popped into a branch of a well known UK retailer and saw a gas stove we liked. Because we were unsure of the size needed we asked the salesman for the specifications, he also confirmed that we could have delivery the following day. Upon returning home we established that our choice was suitable and rather than travel back to the store I went on line to the retailers website and discovered I could by it from them 25% cheaper on line(this being a £100), the price in the store had already been reduced by £100.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
I went into a Borders store today to pick up an extra copy of the latest NSU for the promos mostly. It should be stocked there by now. The only thing they had was 1 copy of the last NSU (which I am proud of). I'm guessing since they are closing up shop, they are not bringing in current copies of magazines.

I hate it. I frequently picked up extra copies of NSU at Borders.

Mike.

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
At Borders.com, it states that sales up to 40% off, start tomorrow in all 399 stores.

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Upon returning home we established that our choice was suitable and rather than travel back to the store I went on line to the retailers website and discovered I could by it from them 25% cheaper on line(this being a £100), the price in the store had already been reduced by £100. John

That's really bizarre, if I understand you correctly, the same retailer was undercutting his own store price by a lot online. You can often times find things on the websites that are not sold in the stores, and sometimes there is a small discount for buying the items online, but a 25% difference is pretty counter productive to the business. Why would you ever buy in the store again? Then the store closes up for lack of customers. Wink

Internet buying has broken everything down to whoever is offering the cheapest possible deal, and while that might sound good on the surface, it is shrinking the job market and it is destroying the value and quality of goods.

In this new digital age, for every one positive thing there are at least two negative things that are a direct or indirect result. This period is going to be as life altering as the industrial revolution, only I don't think most people get the consequences yet because they are too obsessed with playing Angry Birds and finding their twentieth ring tone. Big Grin

Posts: 10381 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by miket999:
I went into a Borders store today to pick up an extra copy of the latest NSU for the promos mostly. It should be stocked there by now. The only thing they had was 1 copy of the last NSU (which I am proud of). I'm guessing since they are closing up shop, they are not bringing in current copies of magazines.

Sadly, the latest issue was sent to them....well, sent to the distributor that supplies them, anyway. Where these copies end up is anyone's guess.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
In this new digital age, for every one positive thing there are at least two negative things that are a direct or indirect result. This period is going to be as life altering as the industrial revolution, only I don't think most people get the consequences yet because they are too obsessed with playing Angry Birds and finding their twentieth ring tone. Big Grin

That's well said, Raven. I'm as geeky and into tech as the next person....probably much more so. But I find the loss of so many physical things very sad too.

I saw Page One: A Year Inside The New York Times last night. It hits on a lot of these topics and gives you a lot think about. I recommend it if you get the chance to see it.

Back on topic....Be sure to let your friends know who purchase at Borders that they should come to NSU now for their copies or their local hobby shop or dealer.

Below is an email sent tonight to people on Borders' Borders Rewards email list.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
How sad, I also was a big fan. I hope to support them tomorrow during their sales. Hard to believe these BIG corporations can go out like this. I know it is not the first, nor will it be the last time, sad all the same.They will be missed.

Posts: 955 | Location: HICKORY HILLS IL | Registered: April 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
I have bought NSU in Borders stores before I subscribed. The two branches of the store in Glasgow closed down quite a while ago, it seemed they could not keep up pace with Amazon or Play in the UK and were doomed as a result.

Sorry for those that still had them, used them or worked for them.

TTFN

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Upon returning home we established that our choice was suitable and rather than travel back to the store I went on line to the retailers website and discovered I could by it from them 25% cheaper on line(this being a £100), the price in the store had already been reduced by £100. John

That's really bizarre, if I understand you correctly, the same retailer was undercutting his own store price by a lot online. You can often times find things on the websites that are not sold in the stores, and sometimes there is a small discount for buying the items online, but a 25% difference is pretty counter productive to the business. Why would you ever buy in the store again? Then the store closes up for lack of customers. Wink Big Grin

Raven

You are 100% right in your understanding, even the guys that installed the stove could not believe it and they work for the Company. We intend to check out the same store when we replace our 21 year old washing machine, we thought it was only 19 and we have had it from brand new but the same installation guys told us how old it is, it still works and does the job it's supposed to do so there is no need to replace it yet.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
We stopped by Borders today and it was packed! The line to check out must have wound all the way to the back of the store.

One item of note; magazines were on sale for 40% off and they had 6-8 issues of NSU.

Which issue, Kevin??

I stopped at our Borders tonight and it was very crowded too. CDs at 20% is not all that enticing to me....I'll check back when they are 40% or 50% off.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
I was there tonight, I had a copy of the issue with Transformers on it but could not see anything else worthy of buying at current prices to warrent me standing in line for about 45 minutes. If it were the issue with the Vampirella promo, I just might have made an exception.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I stopped at our Borders tonight and it was very crowded too. CDs at 20% is not all that enticing to me....I'll check back when they are 40% or 50% off.
Big Grin

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
We stopped by Borders today and it was packed! The line to check out must have wound all the way to the back of the store.

One item of note; magazines were on sale for 40% off and they had 6-8 issues of NSU.

I stopped at Borders on the way home form work on Friday night and was disppointed that the only items with a decent discount were the magazines. With most of the books only discounted 10% there were plenty of people leaving without buying anything. I found a few magazines I wanted (no NSU's in the store) and while the line seemed long it was moving pretty good. I don't think I was in line for more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post