Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Borders Stores Closing
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Close out discounts are always done in stages, depending on how far away the actual closing date. Anyone mobbing Borders now is paying no less, and in some cases more, than they would have prior to the liquidation. That's because they are only giving 20% off the ORIGINAL price. Any sale price would have covered that a week back.

Each week or two the percentage off will go up. I believe I heard all stores close some time in September. You will only get bargains after it hits the 50% mark and by that time most of the popular stuff will be gone, taken by people who think they got a deal. Wink

However Borders has a lot of niche inventory that will still be available and I intend to get there sometime in mid - late August to check out what's left and what's worth picking up.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
Which issue, Kevin??

Volume 22, Number 3

Went to Borders tonight and got the last copy of this issue they had.

Same for me. I was at my local Borders on Tuesday and picked up the last copy. It was hidden behind some other various mags but I found it. Thumb Up

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I found out this weekend that none of the Borders stores received the current Aug/Sep '11 issue.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Where did they all go then?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
They must all just be sitting in a warhouse somewhere I guess.

Shame.

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
Borders in Methuen, Ma., has the last issue of NSU and the latest one for sale at 40% off.

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
I was in the Borders store in Cranston, Rhode Island this afternoon and it looked like one of those skanky discount stores. So sad.

The liquidators are also bringing in other **** from other places and trying sell that stuff, too.
I saw shower robes, stuffed animals, small purses. Geez.

They are even trying to sell off the coffee tables and all their book racks. I was more interested in that than anything else.

Basically it was like scavenger birds picking the meat scraps off a dead carcass that was left behind by the carnivorous. Again, so sad.

RIP Borders

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I strolled through my local Borders on Saturday and there was some older titles and speciality stuff at bargain bin prices, but the current regular DVDs and books were still at only 30% off. A lot of people were buying, but I don't think they realize that they are paying the same prices that they would have gotten at a Borders sale before liquidation or they can still get at any big retailer like Walmart.

The merchandise selection and prices were much better when Circuit City went out, I got some deeply discounted items then. Not that its a good thing because I miss these stores, but people shouldn't just buy because a closing sign goes up, at least get your monies worth.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
Not much at our sore. 40-60% off and the prices were still too high. Bought 2 car magazines for 50% off. Not much else of interest at this time.

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I remember back in the 1980s and 1990s, pretty much every single mall here in NJ had a Waldenbooks AND a B.Dalton book store in them. So you had your choice of 2 stores per mall.

Now, to my knowledge, they are all gone. This has happened everywhere in NJ, from what I can see. Not one mall has a bookstore inside the mall itself. Some have them separate from the malls, across the parking lot or so. I am not sure what those are/were, mostly Borders ?

There are still a bunch of Barnes & Nobles around. Wonder how they are doing ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of sthomas
posted Hide Post
Not well, at least according the N.Y. Times most recent coverage.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/20...ef=barnesandnobleinc

They're nowhere near dead since their Nook competes head-to-head with Amazon's electronic reader, Kindle.

Posts: 92 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: February 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
OK, I did some research on the bookstores...

By the late '80s, B.Dalton's profits began to slide and at some point, Barnes and Noble bought them out but continued to use the name. By 1997, only 500 stores remained and the last 50 stores closed about 2 years ago.

As for Waldenbooks, Borders bought them out and most were renamed Borders Express by 2004. Most of them closed by 2010, and now they are all gone.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
I saw this morning that today (Wednesday) was the last day that Borders would be open for business. Jo Anne and I decided to see what they had left at our local Borders.

As we went in there were signs saying Everything 3 for $1.00. Not much left except for a couple of short isles of books and boxes full of padded cases for their eBook reader.

We managed to find 5 books we wanted to buy. Went up to pay, and they rang them up at 25 cents each (for those needing help, that is 4 for $1.00). Got 5 books for less than $1.50 with tax. Can you believe that? One was even autographed by a local author..

Looked like about 75% of their displays had been sold off too.

We will miss the store though.

RIP Borders..........

Mike.

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Last Saturday my local Borders had a last 9 days sign in the window, which would mean this coming Sunday as the end. They were down to 70% off and still had a lot of books, less CDs and very few DVDs. I did pick up several items finally, but one more place is now gone.

I'd rather browse through a store than stare at a website anyday. Frown

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
90% of everything at Borders in Methuen, Ma. Only some books and posters left. I bought a Green Hornet poster for $.80 and a Historical book on U.S. Presidential Dollars for $1.00. No CD's or DVD's. Furniture was 1/2 price.

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The one in Davenport, Iowa closed Wednesday as well.
What can anyone tell me about the Books-A-Million chain?
Supposedly, they are going in the former Borders store.
I'd never heard of them until they announced it a few
weeks ago...

Greg

Posts: 1357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
The only Books-A-Million I have ever been into is in an the Potomac Mills Outlet Mall in Woodbridge, VA.

I don't buy many books these days, so I cannot compare it to Borders, but they do carry a lot of discount books, magazines, non-book items and sometimes some trading cards. I'm not sure if anything is going into our closed Borders store yet. I'll have to drive by and look for activity next time I go near there.

Mike.

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Somewhere there are still Borders and Crown Books and Waldenbooks and B. Dalton and Sam Goody and Musicland and MusicPlus and the Wherehouse and Hollywood Video and Play Co toys and Kaybee Toys and Puzzle Zoo and on and on and on...

I must've bought non-sports cards at every single one of those of those places, not to mention our local comic shop which just closed after 20 years.

Somewhere, all those places are still open and exactly as I remember them. I want to go to there.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
And have 10 cent comic books and 5 cent a pack for cards with bubble gum.

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
We have Books-a-Million (BAM) all over the South. We call them the poor man's Barnes and Nobles. They don't do much on decor but they try to cram a lot of stuff in a limited amount of space. Membership cards gets you 10% off everyday and they have specials several times a month. They don't card NSU (at least not the ones I have been to) and they don't card cards in general. Sometimes they get blister packs of older products.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post