Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintage in April-May Issue of NSU
 Login/Join

posted
Hey everyone! I thought I would make a little post here to let everyone know that the April-May issue will include a 2-page vintage section ahead of the modern section. We'd like to get your input on what sets you'd like to see in there. So please, take the the time to leave a comment and share what you'd like to see.

Posts: 275 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: June 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Topps Shocking Laffs

Somportex sets

Cornerstone sets.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Would prefer to see pricing from sets in the 60's like The Beatles,Monkees,Man from Uncle.JFK,RFK.
Vintage should be taken to be anything from the mid 70's backwards as there is a trading section on NSU Card Talk that is set up for those issues.
You may find that a 2 page spread might not be large enough to cover many of the issues as there is a lot of interest in vintage cards.

Posts: 2604 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
What year ends the vintage definition? Is it pre-1980 card sets?

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think that would generally be considered correct, but as the years go on, the hobby should really come up with a different standard.

All we have now is vintage and modern being commonly used as terms. Would anyone regard a 1985 non-sport card as being in the same class as a 2018 non-sport card when the manufacturing has changed so radically? Yet they are both modern. I think there should be designated 20 year cycles and cards should fall into each cycle as they age out. Maybe some official trading card publication could look into an idea along those lines. Wink

On a somewhat related note, I have been recently advised that only pre-70s sports cards in high grade condition are in demand in the vintage sports card market. So there is an additional 10 year push back and gradable condition is key for vintage sports issues. As non-sport cards are going down the same path, you can make of that what you will.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I almost want to say that when the packed inserted autographed, sketch, and memorabilia cards started in the mid-1990’s should be considered “modern” cards.
But I don’t think of the cards of the 1980’s and early-1990’s as necessarily “vintage” either. Maybe “pre-modern” or something like that Wink

I’m curious about:
1966 Marvel Superhero
1967 Marvel Superhero Stickers
1967 Star Trek

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think "pre-modern" is a pretty good term for 80's to mid-90's sets though a round number so close to the most recent turn of the century might yield to the year 2000 for many people as the 2020's come and go. At some point what's now "vintage" may be subdivided with terms like "vintage" and "classic" and early 21st century cards might have their own category as Raven said.

quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
I almost want to say that when the packed inserted autographed, sketch, and memorabilia cards started in the mid-1990’s should be considered “modern” cards.
But I don’t think of the cards of the 1980’s and early-1990’s as necessarily “vintage” either. Maybe “pre-modern” or something like that Wink

I’m curious about:
1966 Marvel Superhero
1967 Star Trek

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I think i would class anything pre Inkworks as being from another time of collecting so that would be what, 94 ish?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Inkworks, when it was known as "Graffiti", had its first card set with the James Bond, Goldeneye cards, released around the time of the movie, in November 1995

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Right so there is a split, let's say........

upto 1980

1980 -- 1995

1995 -- now.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Right so there is a split, let's say........

upto 1980

1980 -- 1995

1995 -- now.

Going with a 3-way split, I would say . . .

Leave vintage at pre-1980

Pre-Modern 1980 - 2009

Modern 2010 on.

I agree Inkworks is a cornerstone to what has become the modern non-sport card, I would just expand the Pre-Modern, or whatever else you want to call it, to cover more years and the entirety of Inksworks beginning and demise, along with the best years of a few others like Artbox and Breygent (I know, not done yet) and Press Pass.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Nice timing on having a feature ”Stuck On Super Heroes” in the February/March 2019 issue that focused on the 1967 Marvel Super Hero Sticker by Charlie Novinskie Thumb Up

quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
I’m curious about:
1966 Marvel Superhero
1967 Star Trek

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Having received my April/May 2019 copy of NSU this morning I presume that the 2 page vintage section is about the Chu-Bops Album covers issued 1980-83. I have a vague recollection that I have seen them here in the UK but I cannot be totally sure where or when. I have better recollection of the original LP albums having still got some of those pictured.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Having received my April/May 2019 copy of NSU this morning I presume that the 2 page vintage section is about the Chu-Bops Album covers issued 1980-83. John

I just got NSU today, I don't think that's it. That's just an article about an early 80's set I never heard of. While I enjoying reading about vintage products, I do think the subjects need broader popularity. Also a whole page and a half is taken up by pictures, so there's not much space left for the writer.

Anyway, I think this vintage thing was supposed to be 2 pages of price guide on older cards before the regular listings. I can't find it, so I could be wrong, but maybe it didn't make it in.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In the "Departments" section of "How To Use The Price Guide" on page 41 under "Updates" there's a blurb that says the special vintage section has been postponed.

Probably needs more feedback. Maybe requests could be asked on Beckett and NSU's Twitter accounts in the near future also Thumb Up