Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feb/Mar Rings in the New Year
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
Got my new issue today, and it looks good! 3 promos, The Freak Brothers (Also known as the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers!), Ultraman Series 3 and Edgar Allan Poe. Issue has the 2023 Year in Preview, a great look at classic Rails and Sails and a card salute to Queen Elizabeth. Plus lots more.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Received my copy in the mail today. Also 3 promos, Freak Brothers P7, Ultraman NSU Promo 1 and an unnumbered Poe.

Top 10 autographs in this one are from actors connected to "Avatar" and its sequel. One note here, although Michelle Yeoh is included, she was said to have had a role or cameo in the new one, but she never appears. James Cameron may have left her character on the cutting room floor for "Way of the Water", which would be his mistake, or she may be in a future "Avatar" in 2 - 4 years, which is the current best guess.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Pg 11 lists 1997 as RA picking up the Star Trek license...would think it was still under Skybox control at that time.

Looking like David Castaneda signed for season 2 of Umbrella Academy.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pg 11 lists 1997 as RA picking up the Star Trek license...would think it was still under Skybox control at that time.

There was a time that BOTH RA and Skybox had a license to make cards.

If I remember correctly, Skybox's license specifically said 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 trading cards and RA was able to capitalize on this by doing oversized sets for a few sets.

That's at least what I recall from discussions in the day.

That was right when I was getting into the business as a dealers, so it is a little foggy.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
quote:

There was a time that BOTH RA and Skybox had a license to make cards.

If I remember correctly, Skybox's license specifically said 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 trading cards and RA was able to capitalize on this by doing oversized sets for a few sets.

That's at least what I recall from discussions in the day.

That was right when I was getting into the business as a dealers, so it is a little foggy.

Ed

Now that you mention it that sounds about right. Had no interest in the big cards so TZ and Farscape were my first RA items. Didn't get into Star Trek until 35th Anniversary.

I remember buying the Denise Crosby auto thinking it was a normal sized card. Was pretty disappointed when it showed up. Still got it though. Wink

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
How many different Freak Brothers promos are there in the new NSU ? I think P1 to P4 were at San Diego last summer

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
How many different Freak Brothers promos are there in the new NSU ? I think P1 to P4 were at San Diego last summer

A few big time first autograph cards for this set if Cryptozoic can manage it.

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:

Tommy- There is just one Freak Brothers promo in the new issue (P7).

Posts: 12994 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Due to the Royal Mail overseas mail problems that Kevin has highlighted elsewhere I was not expecting to receive the current issue for a while but today to my surprise it arrived

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Due to the Royal Mail overseas mail problems that Kevin has highlighted elsewhere I was not expecting to receive the current issue for a while but today to my surprise it arrived

regards

John

It's only outgoing international mail that's affected , the only thing's delaying NSU would be the understaffing and strikes .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Saw it on the shelf at Barnes & Noble yesterday Clap

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The local comic store will have them Feb 8

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I hadn't seen the new NSU at Barnes & Noble over the past couple of weeks. On Wednesday I checked out a local sports card shop I hadn't visited in over a year and found the issue there. During the pandemic, it closed off part of the store which included a case that had a lot of factory sets by Kitchen Sink and Eclipse along with other sets. The store has been fully open for months now. The case has sold out of all those sets and has a mix of 80's and 90's unopened packs with hand-sorted sets and some Pokemon singles.

It was interesting to read about the sets coming out this year. I thought it was a little weird that Monsterwax was so tight-lipped about what it was releasing. I realize another company might like one of their original ideas and run with it too but they would be starting from scratch while Monsterwax would be already well into the production process assuming the cards were coming out this year. Is there a card idea so hot that you risk someone else literally "stopping the presses" to switch over to that project immediately if you announce it? I'm not in that business so maybe you should wait until you are some point down the line in the project before saying anything.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Just Renewed my subsciption to start with the Apr/May edition. Hopefully it all goes smoothly

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post