Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How about pics of collections?
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted
I like seeing the pictures of everyone at the various card shows in the NSU magazine. It's nice to have that feeling of connection with the collectors, dealers, manufactures, publishers and so on after reading about their experiences here. It's kinda like looking at a "non-sport card family album" when flipping through the pages of the NSU magazine.

On that note, I was wondering if there was any thoughts of adding a section to the magazine to showcase the reader's collections? I think it would be great to see some of the members with their collections in every oTher issue or so. Maybe it could even be sponsored by one of the card companies. Just a thought because I saw that being done in a sports card publication this month and thought our non-sport community here could do a better job showcasing our hobby in NSU Dance

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I think this is a really nice idea.

Though I think due to interest it would have if being part of the NSU magazine, it might be good as thread on the forums instead?

That way lots of people can contribute as they wish and there's plenty of space!

Plus people could link to their own external websites/photo collections, for those with more extensive collections.

Would be nice to see it in the magazine too though.

Great idea. Thumb Up

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Definitely a good idea!
Perhaps we could submit photos and then have a poll?
The winner(s) could be put into NSU, or we could just start a post on here?

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think its a good idea to "spotlight" a few people per issue . I would be good to even have a spotlight thread on here where you interviewed fellow collectors.
I love seeing other peoples collections

Posts: 48 | Location: Australia | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is my collection:

http://chrbyr.freehostia.com

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Beckett does this. I'd certainly be interested in seeing more NSU-ers' collections!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
1% to 2% of my collection can by found here. It maybe be less than that, looks like the owner of the site has move some to the site gallery.

http://tradingcardspace.com/ga.../index.php?cat=11689

http://tradingcardspace.com/ga...php?cat=11689&page=2

Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgf351
posted Hide Post
I've been posting bits and pieces of my collection in my blog a couple times a week. The link is down below.

Check out my blog Card Crazy!

Posts: 111 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Flag City Collectibles
posted Hide Post
love this idea! I wish there was a great central location for registry sets for non sport cards. I know PSA offers this for cards in general but 75%+ are sports related. CGC and NGC have this for comics and coins respectively which I can log and track my entire collections along with pictures. For this I would have to upload everything into photobucket but only get so much free bandwith each month

Posts: 749 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
I am very supportive of this proposal but firmly believe that the original posters intention was not to have a site full of pictures of what cards you own but to create a more personal profile. This means certainly a picture of you and maybe could be extended to adding a profile of yourself, married/single, kids (ages?) where you live (city) what the local card scene is like, where do you buy the bulk of your cards, what do you collect, pictures of your collection (but not individual cards) etc. etc This could lead to the rest of us getting a good idea of who are chat buddies are and bringing us closer together as a community with a common passion - cards!!!

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I like the suggestion of perhaps showcasing a different card collector in each issue and getting their feedback on the hobby and why/what they collect. I really enjoy reading other collector's comments, which is why I like Card Talk.

As for pictures of collections, I must admit I don't really need it. Not everyone has the room to display their cards or they just don't want to do it. I might be pictured with a stack of binders, how interesting is that? Big Grin

Several of the threads on Card Talk are picture heavy and I appreciate the creativity of those collectors who assemble these large displays, but it does seem like a competition sometimes.

If its a choice between looking at pictures of a collection or using that space to discuss the story behind the collection, I guess I'd rather hear about the story. Smile

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:

If its a choice between looking at pictures of a collection or using that space to discuss the story behind the collection, I guess I'd rather hear about the story. Smile

Exactly Raven!!

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Several of the threads on Card Talk are picture heavy and I appreciate the creativity of those collectors who assemble these large displays, but it does seem like a competition sometimes.

I don't think competition is the right word, more like showing off and bragging maybe?

But seriously where else are most of us, who don't know anyone except for people on like minded forums, anyone who is interested in card collecting? I sure don't, everyone I know thinks collecting cards is the most ridiculous waist of time and money, so I definitely never bring up the subjects of what new license I'm excited about that has been bought and how much I spend on my hobby.

It's nice to be able to show other people who appreciate the effort put into collecting these sets.

And I love seeing other people's collections, 90% of the time, they are cards that I will never be able to afford or even cards that I didn't know existed. Everyone's collections are so diverse and different, it's so great to see all the variety.
Even I get jealous of others collections, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see what other people have though.

quote:

What if there isn't really one there? Most of the time, my story behind collecting a set is that I like the show or whatever subject it is, not really much to tell Smile

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:
quote:

I don't think competition is the right word, more like showing off and bragging maybe?

quote:

What if there isn't really one there? Most of the time, my story behind collecting a set is that I like the show or whatever subject it is, not really much to tell Smile

Ahh, showing off or bragging was what I was trying not to say. Big Grin

And you have a story, even if you don't think so. Wink It's not just about the titles you like to buy, it's that card collecting in general is enjoyable to you. As you said, outside of the forum, most people think its dumb and a waste of money. Of course these are the same people who own 400 pairs of shoes, have designer names on their clothes and handbags, stand on lines for IPhones, go to spas twice a week to cope and have maxed out all their credit cards. Razz

Anyway, when you first got interested in non-sport cards, and what you started collecting and what you branched into or out of, that's all a story worth telling to people who have the same interests. And no one here will think its dumb. Smile

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

And you have a story, even if you don't think so. Wink It's not just about the titles you like to buy, it's that card collecting in general is enjoyable to you. As you said, outside of the forum, most people think its dumb and a waste of money. Of course these are the same people who own 400 pairs of shoes, have designer names on their clothes and handbags, stand on lines for IPhones, go to spas twice a week to cope and have maxed out all their credit cards. Razz

Anyway, when you first got interested in non-sport cards, and what you started collecting and what you branched into or out of, that's all a story worth telling to people who have the same interests. And no one here will think its dumb. Smile

Very true on all accounts there Raven Thumb Up especially about the shoes and clothes and iphones, I honestly don't get what all the fuss is about with getting a new phone every time there is a new model. Big Grin

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was looking for something else and I ran into this old post of mine about pictures of collectors and/or collections in the NSU. Then I thought I remembered seeing a picture of a card show in the February/March 2017 issue so grab the NSU and flipped through it and sure enough there is one is the "upcoming events" department! Not sure who the collectors are or where it was taken, but thought it was cool to see some non-sport collectors Thumb Up

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Noticed a picture in the April-May 2017 issue on page 28 within the Feature of "Hail To The Chief" which thought was kinda neat to see Thumb Up

Please keep including pictures of collectors. Maybe even expand to some collections sometime in the near future. Really would like the see more of the collecting community Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, card collecting has become something that the average person thinks of as "Dad's hobby" or "Grandma's hobby" or they don't think of it at all beyond a vague recognition of the Pokemon or Magic The Gathering crowd. However, unlike those people with all their shoes and IPhones in a drawer somewhere, I don't need a therapist. If I have a bad day, I can open a box of cards and do a little more organizing and then feel like something got done right that day.

As for stories, I traded emails with another card collector the other day. We talked about how we got into collecting (long emails).
The way we got into non-sport was very similar (collected baseball cards before discovering non-sport) and at roughly the same time (late 60's to early 70's). There are others who found non-sport first or maybe never got into sports cards at all. These are interesting stories because each of us can relate to an interest in an alternative way to tell a story or learn about dinosaurs or airplanes or whatever and we can imagine ourselves getting into the hobby the way other people did if we had somehow missed that ice cream truck that showed us Star Wars cards for the first time or if we didn't have friends that had baseball cards lying around.

Jess

quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Ahh, showing off or bragging was what I was trying not to say. Big Grin

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
I was looking for something else and I ran into this old post of mine about pictures of collectors and/or collections in the NSU. Then I thought I remembered seeing a picture of a card show in the February/March 2017 issue so grab the NSU and flipped through it and sure enough there is one is the "upcoming events" department! Not sure who the collectors are or where it was taken, but thought it was cool to see some non-sport collectors Thumb Up

Thanks! That's a photo taken at one of the Philly Shows. The dealers on the right side of the photo are Robert Osifchin (foreground, purple shirt) and Todd Riley (back, black shirt). The photo was taken by the late Cliff Tooker.

quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
Noticed a picture in the April-May 2017 issue on page 28 within the Feature of "Hail To The Chief" which thought was kinda neat to see Thumb Up

Please keep including pictures of collectors. Maybe even expand to some collections sometime in the near future. Really would like the see more of the collecting community Smile

Thanks again! Bill Z is a Card Talk member.

Thanks for your input here (and catskilleagle's) as well as in the "April/May issue in the US" thread.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Harris! I hope we'll get to see a couple pictures along with some interesting collecting stories from the April 2017 NSU Card Talk Member Gathering in a future issue Thumb Up