Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'08 NSU Comic-Con Variant Issue
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Hi All:

We're working on this year's variant issue for Comic-Con (July 24-27 in San Diego, CA). This year's cover will feature beautiful Marvel Masterpieces art and will be sold at the Upper Deck booth. It will come with an exclusive Marvel Masterpieces promotional card. Only 800 copies will be produced. For any of you out there who follow numbers, this is more limited then nearly any other Comic-Con variant we have done (the first Comic-Con variant was limited to just 799 copies).

As in previous years, we will be holding back a few copies for our regular NSU Online Store and NSU Card Talk customers. Copies will be available for pre-order soon and will ship after Comic-Con has ended. We encourage all of you who will be coming to the show, however, to purchase your copies from the Upper Deck booth. And you'll have good reason to do so, which I'll explain below.

For those attending the NSU Card Talk member gathering at Buster's (details soon -- I promise), Upper Deck has promised NSU Card Talk members will also receive three other Marvel Masterpiece cards, exclusive to Comic-Con. I am not sure how these are being distributed at Comic-Con but this certainly will be an easy way for our members to obtain all four promos.

In other Marvel Masterpieces promo news, we will not have a MM card in the regular edition of the upcoming Aug/Sep issue as previous stated. We will, however, have an exclusive Marvel Masterpieces promo in the Oct/Nov issue and a second exclusive promo in the Dec/Jan issue. My understanding from Upper Deck is that some of these promos will be for their second series and some for their third series. As always, these promo insertions are subject to change but it seems pretty likely that these plans will not change.

I'll be posting the variant cover art soon.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Marvel-us. Thumb Up

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great issue and a great opportunity for those going to the Card Talk gathering. Wish I was going!!!

Mike. Smile

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Batman is getting hyped for Comic Con! Smile Thumb Up

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
still some years and then I will be there. Keep saving, keep saving, ...

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Harris, thank you for your response on my Thread about the variant issue.

Will the Variant issue have the Batman, Star Wars, and other cards as the regular issue?

Do manufactures hand out more than one card at the gathering?

I hope so. My wife's health, and the crowds at SDCC, prevent us from attending a show of that size, that far from home.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tattoox:
Harris, thank you for your response on my Thread about the variant issue.

Will the Variant issue have the Batman, Star Wars, and other cards as the regular issue?

Do manufactures hand out more than one card at the gathering?

I hope so. My wife's health, and the crowds at SDCC, prevent us from attending a show of that size, that far from home.

Hi Tattoox:

Here are some answers for you.

First of all, to answer your question about the cards in the regular issue --- No, the variant issue will only come with the one card (Marvel Masterpieces). This is how we have always done the Comic-Con variant issues (and all variant issues, for that matter).

Regarding the second question, "Do manufacturers hand out more than one card at a time?" -- I am not exactly positive how Upper Deck will be handling this but I suspect the answer is going to be no. For those that purchase the variant issue at their booth and come to our breakfast, Upper Deck has told us they will be able to receive the other three MM cards they are exclusively handing out at Comic-Con. I doubt they will offer more then one set. From what I understand, regular Con goers will also be able to get these three cards -- one per day, I believe, though this part I am unclear on. What I am thinking is that those who purchase the variant issue and also visit the Upper Deck both might walk away with seconds of one or two of the cards.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Hi All:

The Aug/Sep issue of NSU starts shipping from our printer today. As stated above, there will be a variant version of the issue with an exclusive Marvel Masterpieces cover and exclusive promo card. I'm kind of partial myself but I think the covers came out really nice and make a nice set!

If you will be heading to Comic Con International this year, be sure to purchase the variant issue at the Upper Deck booth. We're told that those who attend the NSU Card Talk breakfast and purchase a copy of the variant issue from Upper Deck at the show will be able to get all of the Marvel Masterpieces promos that Upper Deck is giving away at the show.

For those who are unable to make the show, we have a small quantity of issues that we will begin pre-selling today. They are on-sale now in the NSU Store. These copies will ship once Comic Con International has ended at the end of this month.

I am posting images of both covers and the special variant promo card below.

Thanks.

Fore more details about the regular issue, click here

Fore more details about the variant issue, click here

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Great covers, well done. I will be picking up the variant at Comic Con, if I'm feeling generous I may even pick up an extra copy for the lazy Headless Horseman! Eek

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
Just ordered mine since I am not lucky enouh to get to go!

Great job on the covers!

Mike.

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hollypop
posted Hide Post
I'm agreeing with Mike and Batman- the covers look great!

Are we only allowed to order one copy of the variant?

Posts: 1458 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: May 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
As Kennywood said, you are allowed to order more then one copy. Go for it. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That green cover really pops!

Posts: 1571 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
Picture of ezarc
posted Hide Post
Make sure to check out the 'NEW and NOTEWORTHY' section for a review of a new GARBAGE PAIL KID parody card by legendary artist, JOHN POUND!

Here is the card site, if you're interested:
http://www.crazeone.com

Posts: 3 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
Any idea when these will swell the ranks of the postal system?

Hi:

Most of these are en route now. A few went yesterday, the bulk today, and a few more will be going tomorrow.

There are still copies available if anyone would still like to place an order.

Thanks.

Harris

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
Question for you Harris:

Do the copies you're mailing out to people of the variant issue have the P9 promo bagged inside or are they going to be loose like at Comic-Con?

Was there a particular reason why the card and magazine were not bagged together at the show this year? LOVE the promo and LOVE the cover, just thought it was strange (no pun intended) that they weren't bagged together.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
Question for you Harris:

Do the copies you're mailing out to people of the variant issue have the P9 promo bagged inside or are they going to be loose like at Comic-Con?

Was there a particular reason why the card and magazine were not bagged together at the show this year? LOVE the promo and LOVE the cover, just thought it was strange (no pun intended) that they weren't bagged together.

Jake:

The cards were not printed in time to include them in the issue. In fact, the magazines were already on the way to San Diego when Upper Deck's printer was printing and cutting these. It was simply a matter of timing.

As for the copies being mailed out -- cards will be in envelopes inserted inside the issue, like our regular issues. The difference is that we have bagged the issues ourselves, rather then having the printer poly-bag them, as normally is done. Again, this is the same timing issue. If we had received the cards before the magazines were printed, we would have bagged them like usual but it was not possible.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
cool thanks for the answer Harris!

I of course would have opened the variant issue to get the card out anyway so it's not a big deal. It was just a curiosity. And it proved my wife right once again on something lol. She thought it was probably timing

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Jake, it's amazing how many times your wife is right. Big Grin

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
I agreee Wolfie! It's a scary amount!