Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feb/Mar Issue is Live!
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
The new issue arrived today, with a look at 2021's New Cards. 2 promos - Cryptozoic Crisis On Infinite Earths and RR Parks Psycho Ape. Lots to read and look at.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
I wish Diamond would get it sooner so then the comic shops would get them sooner Roll Eyes

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Don't comic stores usually get it late in the month, the month before the date ?

So in other words, comic stores should have gotten the Feb/Mar issue in late Jan. Or am I wrong ?

Our local store did not get it yet.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
What did you get for the Psycho Ape promo? P4 for me.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Mine has arrived today. Really enjoyed the 2021 previews, some nice sets coming out. Got Psycho Ape P4 and P- GSR (Arrow)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammer,

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
What did you get for the Psycho Ape promo? P4 for me.

Hey Todd:

All copies had the P4 Psycho Ape promo. So no variance there. However, there were three different CZX Crises on Infinite Earths card. The Supergirl card (P-MB) is most common and should be found about 2.5 times more frequently than the others. The other two cards are P-BR (Superman Brandon Routh) and P-GSR.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Because I frequently comment about the font size, or lack there of Big Grin, in the price guide section, I must say that I noticed an improvement. Not sure that the font got a lot bigger, but the space between lines seems wider, which makes it more readable.

Now here is something NSU should take up with its printer. In my copy, the darkness and lightness of the ink on the price guide pages changed significantly from one page to the next. Some inking was strong, some noticeably lighter and some very light. It had nothing to do with the shaded areas either. Some shaded sets were fine and some light. So that is an issue with how the publishing is coming out. The magazine part itself looked fine.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I went to Barnes and Noble on Feb 15 and all they had were the Dec/jan issue not the new one

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just got back from Barnes & Noble. The new issue wasn't there yet - maybe this weekend.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Noticed this a couple of issues back, but forgot to ask. Why is the NSU full page ad for the Non-Sports Almanac stuck on a picture of the Star Wars cover of the 2017 Non-Sport Almanac? That's not the latest one by 3 years, but it looks like you're selling an outdated book. Time to change the ad. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
None at B&N today

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Local Comic Shop received the latest NSU today. Seems to be about 3 weeks after the first sighting once again.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Because I frequently comment about the font size, or lack there of Big Grin, in the price guide section, I must say that I noticed an improvement. Not sure that the font got a lot bigger, but the space between lines seems wider, which makes it more readable.

Now here is something NSU should take up with its printer. In my copy, the darkness and lightness of the ink on the price guide pages changed significantly from one page to the next. Some inking was strong, some noticeably lighter and some very light. It had nothing to do with the shaded areas either. Some shaded sets were fine and some light. So that is an issue with how the publishing is coming out. The magazine part itself looked fine.

Which pages? I’ll check out how my issue looks.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
Which pages? I’ll check out how my issue looks.

Pages 44. 53, 56, 57, 60. 61, 64, 65, and 68.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I bought my copy yesterday. The local B&N had at least 7 copies. It used to have just 3 or 4 and they always sold out.

It's a great issue. I liked the 2021 preview article and was a little surprised at how many companies are publishing cards now. I hadn't really thought of it. I was even more surprised when I realized that the "Bee Girls" set mentioned is actually a set for the early 70's sci-fi horror movie, "Invasion of the Bee Girls." Uncut, it was an R-rated movie due to nudity. I wouldn't have thought it would have enough of a following for a card set but collectors are always asking for something different. It could inspire some cool sketches of the Bee Girls in their sunglasses.

There were nice articles on "Picard" and "Kung Fu" too. I didn't know how to spot a test card for the latter before.

The "Top 10 Darth Vader cards" article was good too but I wouldn't have picked the Star Wars Galaxy factory set hologram. Vader doesn't look right in that hologram. More memorable would be the Darth Vader sticker from the 1977 General Mills cereal (Adpac) set. Yeah, I know, some people don't think a sticker should count. Another better choice would be that "Star Wars Illustrated: The Empire Strikes Back" sketch that X showed in the Favorite Sketches thread. Awesome art.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I was even more surprised when I realized that the "Bee Girls" set mentioned is actually a set for the early 70's sci-fi horror movie, "Invasion of the Bee Girls." Uncut, it was an R-rated movie due to nudity. I wouldn't have thought it would have enough of a following for a card set but collectors are always asking for something different. It could inspire some cool sketches of the Bee Girls in their sunglasses.

You have a good eye to pick up that card, I passed it over. I had that movie on VHS at one point. Who knows what happened to it, but I never looked to find the DVD. William Smith was the male star and he made some strange low budget movies in the 70's. Grave of the Vampire is another one I remember pretty well.

Invasion of the Bee Girls used to play on TV with several scenes trimmed or cut out entirely, but the uncut version really wasn't that much to talk about when you did see it. If they could get autographs and sketches, Smith is in his 80's, it might make a nice oddball set. I'm not sure how much, if any, cult status the movie has though.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think it was on "Creature Features" out here in the early 80's because I saw part of it then and then just about all of it on another local monster movie show maybe 7-8 years ago.

Yeah, William Smith usually played a bad guy on TV shows.

It's an oddball enough movie that it could sell some cards because people get a kick out of 70's clothes and low-budget movies. It must've had some cool theater posters in other countries but I couldn't find an image of one. I've seen some great foreign movie posters for "Bullitt," "Our Man Flint," and various James Bond films.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I was even more surprised when I realized that the "Bee Girls" set mentioned is actually a set for the early 70's sci-fi horror movie, "Invasion of the Bee Girls." Uncut, it was an R-rated movie due to nudity. I wouldn't have thought it would have enough of a following for a card set but collectors are always asking for something different. It could inspire some cool sketches of the Bee Girls in their sunglasses.

You have a good eye to pick up that card, I passed it over. I had that movie on VHS at one point. Who knows what happened to it, but I never looked to find the DVD. William Smith was the male star and he made some strange low budget movies in the 70's. Grave of the Vampire is another one I remember pretty well.

Invasion of the Bee Girls used to play on TV with several scenes trimmed or cut out entirely, but the uncut version really wasn't that much to talk about when you did see it. If they could get autographs and sketches, Smith is in his 80's, it might make a nice oddball set. I'm not sure how much, if any, cult status the movie has though.

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Best Girls has a mild cult status. I sure dig the movie, but then again I love 70s drive in movies. Card set though? Don't see dollars coming in on that.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Curler
posted Hide Post
I purchased the Feb/March issue this week. It contained Psycho Ape P4 promo and Crisis promo P-BR.

Posts: 381 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
But for newer readers that are used to sport cards, it might be easier to find sets like 1990 Marvel Universe and 1992 Marvel Masterpieces Big Grin