Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aug/Sept 2022 Out
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of jademaliburoad
posted
A friend just got it in her mailbox. It has an Elvis cover, and Outlander (P6) and Nosferatu promo cards. Can't wait to get it.

Posts: 1188 | Location: France | Registered: April 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of andynova
posted Hide Post
I'm all shook up that I got the Aug/Sept issue in yesterday's mail. It features a nice article on Perna Studios' new release.

Posts: 106 | Location: West Chester, PA, USA | Registered: December 18, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
After everything I went through with the last two issues this one shows up without a hitch.

Awesome cover! Liked the article covering/mocking the crazy asking prices for some cards out in auction land.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Having renewed my 2 year subscription last month I am hoping that it is NOT my turn for the delay in delivery nor the lack of delivery I had in 2018.

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My previous comment is null and void as the latest NSU arrived this morning safe and sound with no tears whatsoever to its "envelope".

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
After the earlier trouble I had with my subscription, This issue arrived today.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammer,

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Picked up the latest issue a couple days ago at a card show.
Good issue Thumb Up

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Guess it's my turn again, I haven't received my issue. Don't know if you all are just early. Wink

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just purchased the online version. This is the first time in around 10 years that i wanted to check book values on some of my sets. But what has happened to the price guide? It's bare bones & had nothing from any of my sets. Marvel & Star Wars (Obviously) then random book values on American Pie lol.

I remember scrolling from year x to year x & almost all of the card sets were listed.

What a waste ...

Is this common nowadays?

Posts: 22 | Location: Australia | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Tonyz:
I just purchased the online version. This is the first time in around 10 years that i wanted to check book values on some of my sets. But what has happened to the price guide? It's bare bones & had nothing from any of my sets. Marvel & Star Wars (Obviously) then random book values on American Pie lol.

I remember scrolling from year x to year x & almost all of the card sets were listed.

What a waste ...

Is this common nowadays?

It's a space limitation. Modern sets have a lot more going on, which takes up more space. To keep adding everything would mean a phonebook every issue. Depending on what you're looking for, the entire price guide is available online through Beckett.com. There's also a much more comprehensive annual guide.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Over the past few years, the guide inserted with the issue has become more of a flash on just-released sets, an update on recently-released sets, and a report on any sets from the past few years that have been selling. It stopped trying to be comprehensive years ago. You need to consult the latest Beckett Non-Sport Almanac to look up old stuff and then check Ebay's completed listings to see if your stuff is still selling in the same range.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Tonyz:

What a waste ...

Is this common nowadays?

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ah yep, this makes sense i guess. Thanks for all the help.

Posts: 22 | Location: Australia | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Back to no issue for me again. Got 3 out of 5 for the subscription (who knows - this was suppose to the 4th of the 5). It is not worth the hassle anymore to contact Beckett.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I am sorry you have not received this one either barobehere (again!). Even though you are fed up, I have asked for another copy to be sent to you.

I am also checking on yours, Raven, and asking for another copy to be sent.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Thanks Harris, like I said, I appreciate your volunteering to check on it.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was at a Barnes & Noble today and noticed the current issue for sale.

Harris wrote a nice obituary for Charlie Novinskie, a writer for NSU across over 20 years and part of the team that put out Topps Comics across its run in the 90's. I don't remember anyone mentioning him but it sounds like we missed something relevant to many discussions here by not talking about his article "Birth of the Trading Card" which covered the process of how a manufacturer acquires a license for a set all the way to printing and on to distribution. I think I have at least one issue with a piece from that 6-part article.

I noticed in the price guide that the first 1977 Star Wars set (blue) with stickers is listed at $300-600. Really? Sometime in the late 90's, I bought a high quality set for $15. I didn't discover the cards until after the second set (red) came out. I still need stickers (and some red cards) to finish those sets. Those are still great-looking cards - so nice Topps keeps ripping itself off (I mean, paying homage) repeating the design in at least a few sets. For a kid back then, putting Star Wars on a trading card seemed like the greatest idea since the cereal premium.

Anyway, as a side note, the guide lists the "obscene" C-3PO card (#207 from the green series at $75-150) but most sales I've seen are closer to $75.

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
I am sorry you have not received this one either barobehere (again!). Even though you are fed up, I have asked for another copy to be sent to you.

I am also checking on yours, Raven, and asking for another copy to be sent.

While you're at it, I also have not received yet. I just got off a chat with Beckett and they said my subscription is still good, I was thinking it might have expired.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Anyway, as a side note, the guide lists the "obscene" C-3PO card (#207 from the green series at $75-150) but most sales I've seen are closer to $75.

Sounds like that card is still “in range” for the printed price guide. Although it’s on the low end of that range. Perhaps if that trend continues, the range will “pump down” to around the $60-$120 range in the next issue.

But that’s still a pretty good idea of the card price for using the old way to look up card prices. If you go to card show these days, just about everyone goes on their phone to look up the latest “comps” on eBay completed auctions.

I bring the NSU with me to shows so I’ll have an idea of some newer card price ranges just in case the internet connection is bad Thumb Up

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actually, I was mistaken. Last year in April, Mykdude noticed a #207 error auction ending at just over $120 but it was below the seller's minimum. He was surprised because he had seen it sell regularly for less than $20. The card was not mint so the seller probably made an error there. I checked the 2019 and 2020 Beckett Non-Sport Almanacs and noticed a drop in value from $30-80 to $25-50 so it was even lower than I remembered. However, when I look at Ebay's Completed Listings now, I see prices all over the place for graded and ungraded ones. A couple of buyers got an ungraded one for $15-20 each but you can also find sales over $100.

I think it was elsewhere on this forum that someone pointed out there are still a lot of unopened boxes out there and yet 1977 Star Wars card values have apparently jumped in general since 2020. Collectors looking for a deal on something might still find one if they watch for it.

quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

Sounds like that card is still “in range” for the printed price guide. Although it’s on the low end of that range. Perhaps if that trend continues, the range will “pump down” to around the $60-$120 range in the next issue.

But that’s still a pretty good idea of the card price for using the old way to look up card prices. If you go to card show these days, just about everyone goes on their phone to look up the latest “comps” on eBay completed auctions.

I bring the NSU with me to shows so I’ll have an idea of some newer card price ranges just in case the internet connection is bad Thumb Up

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of jademaliburoad
posted Hide Post
Despite an incomplete address, the new issue found my mailbox.

The photo of Julian Glover's card from GOT is a Blake's 7 card.

Interesting insights of artist Dave Gaskin, sharing his creative process.

Great looking Outlander promo card featuring Murtagh.

Posts: 1188 | Location: France | Registered: April 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post