Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

April/May Issue Out
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
Received my April/May 2021 issue by mail today. It has 2 promos. I got Ultraman P1 and The Art of Sketch Cards vol. 2, Promo 1.

Will have to go thru it, but at first glance the line spacing of the Price Guide section has increased and it looks to be easier to read.

I did read the first column piece, Cardboard Conversation by lan Biegel. Couldn't agree more about certified cards signed with lazy, illegible, initialed or outright autopenned autographs that are disrespectful to the card makers that are paying for them and the collectors who want to buy them.

The last line is, "The only way to stop these practices is for hobbyists to refuse to purchase these inferior quality cards."

It's a nice thought, but while I generally do it myself and will second the motion, I don't think everyone cares enough to force a change in attitude. Good to read someone say it though. Smile

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I did read the first column piece, Cardboard Conversation by lan Biegel.

Our Editor in chief for more than 100 issues is Alan Biegel

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:

I'm sure Alan Biegel will forgive my typing lapse of skipping the capital "A" and my poor proof reading skills. Thankfully you were right on top of it hammer.

I enjoyed Mr. Biegel's opinion piece.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Not having seen the inside of the issue yet, I thought maybe Alan has a brother, Ian, who filled in for him like the time I did my brother's newspaper route when he was sick.

Jess

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:

I'm sure Alan Biegel will forgive my typing lapse of skipping the capital "A" and my poor proof reading skills. Thankfully you were right on top of it hammer.

I enjoyed Mr. Biegel's opinion piece.

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
It's ok he'll answer to anything. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

It was just a typo, (A) lan not Ian. Missing the capital "A".

Few people in America name their kids Ian. They have too much trouble pronouncing it. Big Grin

NSU Editor-in-Chief
Picture of A_Biegel
posted Hide Post
I thank you and my evil twin brother Ian thanks you. Big Grin

~ Alan

Posts: 189 | Location: Bayonne, NJ USA | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I thought Ian was the good one

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Editor-in-Chief
Picture of A_Biegel
posted Hide Post
You may be right, there.

~Alan

Posts: 189 | Location: Bayonne, NJ USA | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm just glad I was right that he has a brother, Ian.

The only time it's tough to pronounce "Ian" if it's the Welsh spelling, "Ioan," which might be something like "Yo-yo." That's not a slam. I knew someone from Pontypridd who would laugh at that.

Jess

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

It was just a typo, (A) lan not Ian. Missing the capital "A".

Few people in America name their kids Ian. They have too much trouble pronouncing it. Big Grin

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Mine arrived today, with the regular Alan Biegel feature. I got ultraman P3 and art of sketch card P1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammer,

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My copy arrived yesterday along with Ultraman Card P1 and TAOSC Promo 1.

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I stopped into a Barnes & Noble yesterday and was happy to see the new issue already on the shelf. It's been coming in around the end of the month or a few days later.

I liked the article on King Kong and Godzilla and the artist interview was interesting as always.

The "Space 1999" article was a good read. I didn't know there were two other card sets for the show from Europe.

A lot of info got squeezed into that article on "Get Smart." The mentioned Bernie Kopell autograph card from the cancelled Rittenhouse Archives set was once noted on Card Talk. That's a cool card I haven't heard anyone talk about in years.

Another great issue.

Jess

Edit: I got TAOSC Promo 1 and Ultraman P3.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
A lot of info got squeezed into that article on "Get Smart." The mentioned Bernie Kopell autograph card from the cancelled Rittenhouse Archives set was once noted on Card Talk. That's a cool card I haven't heard anyone talk about in years.
Jess

Hey Jess,

I have that Kopell RA autograph card. It is slightly larger than standard size and sticks out of the regular pocket a little.

I can't remember where I picked it up, its been so long, but I never knew that the set was cancelled because there were other Get Smart cards and I just assumed I didn't look for the rest. I have the Feldon autograph card from Inkworks TV's Coolest Classics also.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Raven,

I didn't know it was a little oversized. That adds to its uniqueness. I did notice that two have sold on Ebay in the past two days. Is that proof of the power of NSU?

My mom watched "That Girl" back in the late 60's/early 70's. Kopell played the boyfriend's best friend, I think. I barely remember it though the theme music still runs fresh in my mind. He must be well-liked because he's been in all kinds of stuff over the years. He's famous for "Love Boat," of course. I think a lot of actors hope they'll have a career from which they are remembered for at least three different roles.

Jess

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Jess

Hey Jess,

I have that Kopell RA autograph card. It is slightly larger than standard size and sticks out of the regular pocket a little.

I can't remember where I picked it up, its been so long, but I never knew that the set was cancelled because there were other Get Smart cards and I just assumed I didn't look for the rest. I have the Feldon autograph card from Inkworks TV's Coolest Classics also.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:

I didn't know it was a little oversized. That adds to its uniqueness.

Jess

Yes, I just checked it in case I was thinking of the wrong card, but it is just shy of a 1/4 inch higher on top and peeks out above the pocket. It's a weird size, the width is normal. I would say it could have been a miscut, but the card seems centered.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Nice Marvel topics in this issue. From the cover, to the feature on Marvel Black Diamond, the Marvel Ages side bar, Top 10 department on 90’s Marvel inserts, Hot List with WandaVision autos, and finishing the the inclusion of some early 1990’s products in the price guide.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post