Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Premium Pack Articles

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/656602453/m/6137028795

February 21, 2011, 12:32 PM
DavidBird42
Premium Pack Articles
Hey, I am thinking that premium packs are a nice ADDITION to what we can buy...the more the merrier.
February 21, 2011, 03:07 PM
Freddy
What this boils down to is this...
Let the companies take the risk doing Premier Packs & or Boxes. And then let the market {aka:the consumers} decide. It'll either work or it wont.

February 21, 2011, 04:32 PM
hcbrewer
I would just like to mention that, I believe, there is a collation to what is happening in the market because the market is "growing up" as we do

It has been mentioned in this thread that we used to just by a couple of packs at a time as we could afford them and traded our base single to make our sets - thus the sets had value to us because we had to make them
we also got excited for these base cards, looking for our favorite heroes, art work, etc
- there wasn't large or numerous chase sets

Now we buy boxes (and some of us cases) - so we don't need the doubles to trade because we have multiple base complete sets already and we are more interested in making master sets and completing the chase card sets
- base cards don't excite us anymore - the chase cards are the thrill - and what we use for trading now
(mind you I must compliment Rittenhouse on the Heroes vs Villains base card set - beautiful cards)

so the problem here is there is not a market for single packs any more
- when was the last time any of you just bought a pack or two?
there isn't a younger generation getting into the market - just those of us that always have collected or did when we were kids
(generalizations of course, but trying to make a point)

Hopefully companies like Enterplay can get kids interested in this hobby again

oh, and I have recently bought some single packs - they were premium packs Smile
I would like to mention that premium packs are also "growing" and adapting as they find there place
- my recent pre-orders were for A/B/C packs so I could get a complete set of the base cards

just my 5 cents

February 21, 2011, 04:49 PM
Nicnac
quote:
Originally posted by DavidBird42:
Hey, I am thinking that premium packs are a nice ADDITION to what we can buy...the more the merrier.

Correct. What the discussion is about is if the market begins to SWITCH to premium packs.

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
What this boils down to is this...
Let the companies take the risk doing Premier Packs & or Boxes. And then let the market {aka:the consumers} decide. It'll either work or it wont.

This discussion is exactly that. Do we agree/disagree, like/dislike the way the industry is headed at the moment.
February 21, 2011, 04:58 PM
Freddy
quote:
Originally posted by hcbrewer:

so the problem here is there is not a market for single packs any more
- when was the last time any of you just bought a pack or two?
there isn't a younger generation getting into the market -

just my 5 cents

Funny you wrote this today because my son and I went out this morning and while at Target he picked up 4 packs of "Star Wars: Rise of the Bounty Hunters." It was great to see him picking which packs he thought might contain a special card. Three out of the four packs had specials (2 foils & 1 cell card}. So, a pretty good score for a nine year old.

And isn't your 5 cents really now worth between $24.99 or $34.99/pack. Only kidding.

I can see both sides of the argument here. But me personally...I hope Premium Packs don't become the norm. It might have it's niche, but in my opinion, it won't bring in any new blood to the hobby. Not to mention it'll price me out of the hobby, well for the new stuff at least.

Fred

February 21, 2011, 05:06 PM
hcbrewer
[/QUOTE]

Funny you wrote this today because my son and I went out this morning and while at Target he picked up 4 packs of "Star Wars: Rise of the Bounty Hunters." It was great to see him picking which packs he thought might contain a special card. Three out of the four packs had specials (2 foils & 1 cell card}. So, a pretty good score for a nine year old.

Fred[/QUOTE]

February 21, 2011, 05:13 PM
hcbrewer
quote:

Fred

opps, new to this so my apologies for the straight quote posting Big Grin

I wanted to say Ilike how target and these other retailers are getting into this market with lower pack pull rates and making cards cheaper so kids can actually afford them

nothing better than seeing a kids face open something he loves

Fred - would he have been excited to get a sketch card?

February 21, 2011, 07:22 PM
Freddy
quote:
Originally posted by hcbrewer:
[QUOTE]

Fred - would he have been excited to get a sketch card?

Well if he wouldn't have been, I sure would have. LOL
I told him once, "Jr, all of my collectibles are yours when I'm gone."
His reply, "I'd rather have you dad."