Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Non-Sport Update Magazine Discussion    Dec/Jan Issue Out Thanksgiving Week
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dec/Jan Issue Out Thanksgiving Week
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
I was surprised to receive my new issue today. Nice Mandalorian Cover. Only one promo, but it does have a twist, RRParks Series 4 promo, but 7 different cards can be found, I pulled P6 which is really scarce.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, I have a question if anybody can decipher my expiry date on my mag. It says "EXP ISS:24-FEB" Does this mean it expires Feb 2024? I am asking because I paid for a 2 year subscription on top of what I already had. Thanks

Posts: 49 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: July 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those who receive their issue, please leave feedback here regarding the new price guide format. This is a living format so it will be changing as it goes. I've been working on pricing updates constantly so I'm hoping to get consistent up/down arrows in future issues permanently. The current range is 2015-20 but that can, and most likely will, change.

Posts: 275 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: June 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeckettBible24:
For those who receive their issue, please leave feedback here regarding the new price guide format. This is a living format so it will be changing as it goes. I've been working on pricing updates constantly so I'm hoping to get consistent up/down arrows in future issues permanently. The current range is 2015-20 but that can, and most likely will, change.

Despite being a subscriber I don't need to wait for it to arrive before commenting as it is of no interest to me whatsoever and has been for several years now.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Received my copy today, along with RRParks Series 4 P8 promo.

I do still value price guides and the work that goes into them. They are not gospel and there are other more timely tools, but if they are even mildly accurate, they are a snapshot in time for a card set and a reference to provide some crosscheck with other sources.

So having said that, I'm not crazy about the new look. The price guide section still covers the same 30 pages, but all cards released before 2015 are omitted. Despite that, the font is as small and light as before. You would think that other sets must have been added or expanded upon to make up the same ground, but I can't confirm that because I don't feel like squinting to compare them to the previous issue when they are no longer following in the same title order.

They are now listed by year and then alphabetically, so that the same title is not together. There are 2 problems I have with that. For the big franchises like Game of Thrones and Star Wars etc., by starting in 2015 you are leaving out some of the biggest cards that are still in high demand. GoT starts with Season 4 as an example.

The other issue is that you don't always have a title that comes out every year and/or you don't know the year you are looking for, even if you may know the season. This looks to be even more confusing finding certain sets then when you kept the title together, but not in year sequence.

Some people have already made the suggestion to go back to the split price guide, A - L one issue and M - Z in the next. That may be a better way to go if it means more coverage of important sets and a font that is readable. Up and down arrows would be great. As far as the years go, I would rather see the determination done by the demand and activity of a card set, rather than a hard and fast cut off for all of them with no exceptions.

Thanks for the effort you are making to include reader feedback.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
There’s a lot of effort that’s put forth to gathering the information needed to put together the price guide and I don’t want to dismiss BeckettBible24’s drive to present us non-sport collectors a product (price guide) that helps enhance our collecting experience by not trying provide some debatable constructive feedback. Hopefully, I can get the issue in my hands soon.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I do still value price guides and the work that goes into them. They are not gospel and there are other more timely tools, but if they are even mildly accurate, they are a snapshot in time for a card set and a reference to provide some crosscheck with other sources.

Exactly! These price guides are snapshots in time that can be used for reference in conjunction with other tools to make informed decisions.

quote:
They are now listed by year and then alphabetically, so that the same title is not together. There are 2 problems I have with that. For the big franchises like Game of Thrones and Star Wars etc., by starting in 2015 you are leaving out some of the biggest cards that are still in high demand. GoT starts with Season 4 as an example.

The other issue is that you don't always have a title that comes out every year and/or you don't know the year you are looking for, even if you may know the season. This looks to be even more confusing finding certain sets then when you kept the title together, but not in year sequence.

That brings up a good point: traditionally non-sport cards usually don’t put an emphasis on the year that they are produced. In some ways that might make it slightly more difficult to find TV show products that usually emphasize seasons. For example, off the top of my head, I can’t recall the years that Buffy The Vampire Slayer by Inkworks came out.
Perhaps with more feedback the 2015 start date can be expanded to include previous years of products/brands that are highly collected in future issues.

quote:
Some people have already made the suggestion to go back to the split price guide, A - L one issue and M - Z in the next. That may be a better way to go if it means more coverage of important sets and a font that is readable. Up and down arrows would be great. As far as the years go, I would rather see the determination done by the demand and activity of a card set, rather than a hard and fast cut off for all of them with no exceptions.

The alphabetical split was tried before and ultimately reverted back by the previous owners before Beckett. I found the split not conducive for me to purchase consecutive issues as my primary interest is with Marvel products. Why would I purchase the issue when I KNOW that the price guide wouldn’t have anything with Marvel Annual, Marvel Masterpieces, or Marvel Retro in it? Buy it for the articles and in depth analysis then? Probably not as the features tend to be hit or miss with my collecting interests and the hobby analytics for non-sport cards don’t seem to be a thing yet.

If the alphabetical split were to happen today, I would especially avoid purchasing the “A-L” issue. Doubly so if it was in the form of the separate “take along” price guide. Just looking a DC products is just not good enough. Not even the Hot Lists that I look forward to seeing each issue could persuade me.

Conversely, if cut off date is 2015 and the majority of products that I’m interested in is prior to that then I’m less inclined to purchase the magazine also. I concur with Raven that the popularity, demand and activity of the sets should weigh more for price guide inclusion than just the year that it was produced.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of make-mine-marvel
posted Hide Post
I got P8 if anyone needs it ...

@Sketchcards on Twitter

Posts: 1817 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
I pulled P6 which is really scarce.

Why is the P6 promo card scarce? I pulled one in my copy of NSU.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
It says Really Scarce on the back of the card.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
I missed that. Thanks!

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I got my issue yesterday. 2/3 of the staples holding the book together were all messed up, had to pull them out. Frown

I received P8. Is it only one promo per issue? Thought it was odd P8 is not listed on the back of the card.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
My copy arrived today with the P8. Loved the Freddie and the Dreamers article by Alan.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Curler
posted Hide Post
I purchased my copy on Friday. My promo card was P4, almost scarce.

Posts: 381 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Promo card number P8 on the Mr. B Natural promo card is top right corner.

Posts: 45 | Location: Nevada | Registered: April 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
I got my issue yesterday. 2/3 of the staples holding the book together were all messed up, had to pull them out. Frown

I received P8. Is it only one promo per issue? Thought it was odd P8 is not listed on the back of the card.

Posts: 45 | Location: Nevada | Registered: April 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Parks:
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:

... .P8 is the common version. P1-7 are the scarcer variations.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
It says Really Scarce on the back of the card.

Thanks Don. Yes, p8 is the common version... p1 with white border is "rare ... not really", p2 green border is "more rare than p1", p3 black border is "rare-ish", p4 light greyish powder blue border is "almost scarce", p5 red border is 'Scarce!", p6 quasi darkish mauvey purple is "REALLY scarce" ... and P7 old gold border is "WOW! SCARCE!".

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Diamond Distributors finally delivered the latest issue to comic book shops today Roll Eyes

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My local Barnes & Noble received it Saturday or Monday. Those were nice articles on The Manolorian, Star Trek Discovery, and Wonder Woman along with the interview with Sean Patrick Spence. He does great work.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
Diamond Distributors finally delivered the latest issue to comic book shops today Roll Eyes

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Matt,

I understand starting over. Now that you're five years out, you can build on that by identifying what older singles and sets are getting almost as much action.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by BeckettBible24:

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post