Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Pricings at Beckett
 Login/Join

posted
Greetings, everyone. This is Matt Bible, the non-sport analyst at Beckett. From this day forward, I will be posting pricing updates here in the forum. So, whenever we have a new product priced, you will get the notification right here. We do this on all our social media outlets as well as on our own homepage forum. Today, new pricing updates are:

2018 Solo A Star Wars Story

2018 Game of Thrones Season Seven

Posts: 275 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: June 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Thanks that is great but do we need base cards priced individually? Chase cards yes or limited 1\1, 1\10 etc but a basic base card out of a base set of 72 no, especially for sets where we get a base set in a box.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Am I right in assuming that you need to have paid and be subscribed to the Beckett digital price guide to see any of this pricing?

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
IS IT 80 ODD PAGES THAT YOU CANT GET INTO UNLESS YOU SUBSCRIBE IF SO IT IS USELESS AND A WASTE OF TIME
PIKO

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Thanks that is great but do we need base cards priced individually? Chase cards yes or limited 1\1, 1\10 etc but a basic base card out of a base set of 72 no, especially for sets where we get a base set in a box.

I concur that base cards for sets like Arrow, Flash, and Gotham don't really need to be priced individually since the cards are basically storyboards and it take up too much space in a physical price guide. But in the digital price guide, it's more like a checklist that also has pricing.

In other sets that highlight individuals/characters, like Marvel Premier, then individual pricing seems to be a bit more useful. Although the majority of the Marvel characters in trading cards have a similar level of popularity/demand and generally fall into a similar price range, there are a few that tend to standout and sell at a slightly higher clip than the rest most of the time - Deadpool, Spider-Man, and Wolverine. Then a handful of others their popularity rise out of the land of commons from time-to-time because of various reasons such as a recently movie release, a popular comic storyline, and speculation of an upcoming movie/TV show (Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Hulk, Thor, Thanos, and so on).

For 2017 Marvel Premier their base cards are individually numbered to 125, the commons are priced in a $10-$25 range, with a small group of individually priced characters at a slightly higher range of $12-$30, with the top 3 characters at the $15-$40 range.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I can't see anything useful -- even after creating an account. I'm not sure if I should be able to see images or not -- I see no card images, but a number of broken image links so I'm not sure if that's an issue or a feature.

It would be nice if Beckett provided content on Card Talk. Maybe it is just my perception, but it feels like everything I see being posted by someone who seems to be affiliated with NSU or Beckett is a link out of Card Talk to another site -- that certainly makes it feel like Beckett would rather have us on another site than Card Talk. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
It does seem like the powers at Beckett would prefer more web traffic directed towards their main page. I wonder if it gets them a better ad rate.

It's been a while since I went on the Online Price Guide (I prefer physical price guides) but if I remember correctly, there was a way for us collectors to upload images to the online price guides.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
It's been a while since I went on the Online Price Guide (I prefer physical price guides) but if I remember correctly, there was a way for us collectors to upload images to the online price guides.

That would be brilliant! Collectors do the work to scan and upload images then you sell the collector provided content back to collectors!

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
I can't see anything useful -- even after creating an account. I'm not sure if I should be able to see images or not -- I see no card images, but a number of broken image links so I'm not sure if that's an issue or a feature.

It would be nice if Beckett provided content on Card Talk. Maybe it is just my perception, but it feels like everything I see being posted by someone who seems to be affiliated with NSU or Beckett is a link out of Card Talk to another site -- that certainly makes it feel like Beckett would rather have us on another site than Card Talk. . .

I post links versus cutting and pasting an article for a couple of reasons:

1) The main page for an article is the main page for an article. It is a central place for all places, including here and various social media pages.

2) Cutting and pasting an article actually hurts a site. It's called duplicate content. Google doesn't like it.

3) Time. We all work hard, long hours. Putting a link and a quick description saves a bit.

4) In all honesty, posting images on here is a pain. This ties back to #3. Message boards are great, but the tech hasn't evolved much in the last ten years.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:

I post links versus cutting and pasting an article for a couple of reasons:

1) The main page for an article is the main page for an article. It is a central place for all places, including here and various social media pages.

2) Cutting and pasting an article actually hurts a site. It's called duplicate content. Google doesn't like it.

3) Time. We all work hard, long hours. Putting a link and a quick description saves a bit.

4) In all honesty, posting images on here is a pain. This ties back to #3. Message boards are great, but the tech hasn't evolved much in the last ten years.

All fair points, but it reinforces what my perception has been for quite a while. . .

Also, content can be a lot of things -- joining conversations/starting conversations or really even saying hi.

posted Hide Post
I purchased the newest Beckett Non-sports Almanac. Twelve pages of vintage card prices and checklists ? The collecting world isn't just about new cards. A complete waste of money. Very lame Beckett.

Posts: 31 | Location: Boston Mass | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:

I concur that base cards for sets like Arrow, Flash, and Gotham don't really need to be priced individually since the cards are basically storyboards and it take up too much space in a physical price guide. But in the digital price guide, it's more like a checklist that also has pricing.

For 2017 Marvel Premier their base cards are individually numbered to 125, the commons are priced in a $10-$25 range, with a small group of individually priced characters at a slightly higher range of $12-$30, with the top 3 characters at the $15-$40 range.

My point was any set that has a base set per box doesn't need individual pricing plus what do you need a checklist for? They are numbered! The marvel premier or bench warmer etc don't have a base set per box so need to be listed and priced. All that needs to be said about an arrow set is "base set 72 cards - $10 per set"

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
There is no need to take up space in a price guide for non-sport base cards. You don't need to provide a checklist with a base card captions. They are numbered, they all have the same value.

For those rare ones that may have a character of interest or may be short printed, include them with a higher price as the exception to the others. And of course do a full set price. You have limited space and time, who would think listing 90 individual five cent base cards is a good idea?

As for the new pricing notifications, I have no problem with Beckett providing links to their website. Beckett owns NSU, it can push its other services here where non-sport card collectors reside. However I think more information should be given than just the link when more is necessary to access the information mentioned.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bunkie:
I purchased the newest Beckett Non-sports Almanac. Twelve pages of vintage card prices and checklists ? The collecting world isn't just about new cards. A complete waste of money. Very lame Beckett.

Should have read this first:
http://nonsportupdate.infopop....4605353/m/3357070096

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post