Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

April/May 2009 NSU Not happy
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted
I am not happy with the new Price Guide. Many of the sets I have collected over the years are missing. Almost 4 columns of space are dedicated to Americana and over 6 columns for Bench Warmer. You have got to be kidding. Beanch Warmer??? I have made mention many times in the past that I have no problem paying extra for the magazine to have a proper guide. I am not interested in purchasing any other guide. I like the NSU the way it was. There has got to be a way to re-format the guide to encompass all the good old sets just like it used to be.
* Don't list box prices
* Don't list every artist in the set.
* Don't list ANY promos
* Don't list toy cards
Many years ago, I suggested to Harris a way to save over 25% of the space and it worked. Then obviously as time goes by, the extra space is taken up by newly issued sets. Please put all the sets back in the guide.

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gul Gom
posted Hide Post
Please keep the promos. Let's just have a bigger price guide and pay a little extra.

Posts: 30 | Location: Goodyear, Arizona, USA | Registered: July 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
I love the magazine and I am just hoping to get it back the way it was. It's present format is not condusive to collecting and information. I would rather have the half & half way with one issue having all sets from a-m, then the next release having all sets from n-z. This way you would have every set listed and only have to carry around the 2 price guides.

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of Over_Worked_Mom
posted Hide Post
Ok - So remove Benchwarmers and the people who collect Benchwarmers can be unhappy. Ok then remove sketch card listings and the sketch card collectors can be unhappy. Fine - then remove promo cards and the promo card collectors can be unhappy?

The price guide cannot contain everything to make everyone happy. I think they've done a phenomenal job on trying to make the most comphrensive guide possible. I much prefer the pullout version to the bound version.

BUT NO WAY do I want a more expensive magazine. Stuff is expensive enough as it is *lol* Not just the magazine.

Posts: 4053 | Location: Lansdale, PA | Registered: January 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
For me -- when the guide was split into 2 pieces I stopped using it. . . stopped looking at it. . .

Now that it's back in one piece I actually do use it again. . . and so far everything I've looked for has been in the guide.

It's a tough job for sure, but I think they are doing a great job with it. . .

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beamer:
I love the magazine and I am just hoping to get it back the way it was. It's present format is not condusive to collecting and information. I would rather have the half & half way with one issue having all sets from a-m, then the next release having all sets from n-z. This way you would have every set listed and only have to carry around the 2 price guides.

My understanding is they're removing sets with little or no interest/price fluctuation. If the price hasn't changed in 2 years, there's really no need to keep including it. If for some reason down the road a set jumps up in price, I'm sure it'll be included again.

Regarding sketch artist lists, I think they're handy for when sets first come out, but after they're initially listed, there's really no need for the entire list again, unless there are heavy market changes. And even then, NSU can just include those that have changed.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
The new guide is PERFECT Thumb Up

Posts: 12153 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
So Say We All !!!!!!!!!!! (Too much B Galactica....) Just got my NSU mag today and I will have a lot of reading to do. Enjoy the price guide, even though my ole bi-focals and my magnifying glass will have a work out. Metal Thumb Up

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
OWM, if you want to continue to support the hobby, then why not pay a little more for the only magazine out there? I am sure a dollar or 2 per issue wouldn't hurt you? Considering that many of us collectors spend alot of money on single cards, especially people that collect really high priced cards, I think what ever it takes to help the mag out is up to us. And just because they split the price guide up Jon you stopped "looking at it"??? That is ridiculous. Why not just keep the 2 separate guides together and use them that way? You make no sense. What's the difference if it is printed on one or two pieces of paper. It is still the price guide. At least there was more info in the 2 separate than the what it is now. And as for the format, I still think there is a better way. The majority hasn't spoken.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
"The Encyclopedia of Non-Sport & Entertainment Trading Cards Volume 1, 1985-2006" which gives prices and will be updated. unless the cards you collect change prices weekly! For Info NSU has increased the cover price recently

Posts: 12153 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, you've posted your opinion, and I've posted mine. . . you may think that mine is ridiculous, but that's simply your opinion about my opinion.

Each person is allowed to have an opinion, and your calling my real world experience with the guide ridiculous doesn't change my experience.

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
As the man said, "To each his own" - it's clear that you'll not be happy until you get your way. I will just respectfully disagree (although I am biting my tongue about your personal attack on my "support" or lack thereof of the hobby and NSU.)

Posts: 4053 | Location: Lansdale, PA | Registered: January 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi_Collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you want to continue to support the hobby, then why not pay a little more for the only magazine out there? I am sure a dollar or 2 per issue wouldn't hurt you?

I have heard this statement over and over again for the past year.

I already have to support (Pay) my taxes, oil bill, phone bill, cell phone bill, internet bill, cable bill, water bill, mortgage, car insurance, gasoline bill, Health Insurance bill, Dental Insurance bill, Life insurance bill, clothing bill, college fund for the kids and of course my food bill.

Money doesn't grow on trees people. There comes a point when we don't have an extra dollar per month to give away.

I for one am glad the price guide is separated. Back in the olden days, I would read the magazine then put it away for safe keeping to reread the articles then I would read the price guide. I would keep the price guide in my car, my backpack, anyplace and everyplace knowing that when it gets all ripped up I will get another one just like it every 2 months.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
OWM, if you want to continue to support the hobby, then why not pay a little more for the only magazine out there? I am sure a dollar or 2 per issue wouldn't hurt you?

Show some respect to people who don't agree with your opinion! Why should we all pay for something we don't want? We are happy with the price guide. Perhaps you could commission NSU to produce your own guide exactly how you like it!

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Barbara C
posted Hide Post
I love the format of the new Price Guide which now contains the majority of pricing in one handy booklet. I am primarily a promo card collector, which for me includes the Benchwarmer auto/promo cards and the toy cards. I find it interesting to hunt for the array of card styles.

Posts: 3139 | Location: New Castle, DE USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
We have to remember that NSU has lost a HUGE source of advertising income when Inkworks closed the doors. Now NSU must replace all of that advertising revenue from other sources. I can't imagine this is going to be an easy task.

This is true and something i had not thought about.

RADICAL OPINION ALERT!!!!! Eek

I would scrap the price guide completely and save money on printing.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
What about an online guide that is accessible only by those who have subscriptions? Knowing that there would be costs to design and publish it, there could be a user fee of a few dollars per month. Then, those who don't mind paying extra for it can see every single set and card NSU has ever listed in the price guide.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
While I've already posted that I like the new format, we all have to remember that NSU has the final say in how the magazine is produced.

I don't know of another magazine that so actively sought the input of its readers before deciding on a course of action. That alone shows how highly NSU values its readers. But while they will listen to our input, NSU must decide for itself what's best.

We have to remember that NSU has lost a HUGE source of advertising income when Inkworks closed the doors. Now NSU must replace all of that advertising revenue from other sources. I can't imagine this is going to be an easy task.

We can sit here and debate and argue whether we like something or not (although I do wish we'd avoid these personal attacks). Personally, I'll support whatever decisions NSU has to make to survive and grow.

Good points - Well made Thumb Up

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
I visit sites that require payment and member login (for example, a couple of sites that offer pumpkin carving patterns). Precisely because I have to pay for the access, I won't give out my user info so someone else can get free patterns. I can also access the sites from any computer.

By the way, I'm not asking NSU to spend money. I just wanted to propose a possible solution, for some point in the future, to provide readers with access to info that for space reasons can no longer be included in the guide. If enough people are interested, it could make some money.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
I can definately see both the pros and cons of an online price guide. It's definately an intriguing notion and I hope that at least on some level, NSU is considering it and pursuing it (maybe in conjuntion with a way for users to print out their wants/needs lists - user checks certain boxes in the guide that he needs, it prints out a list of those items with "current" value listed as an easy way to go to shows with a handy dandy list)