Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NSU Final Holiday Giveaway!
 Login/Join

Picture of Curler
posted Hide Post
It's the only magazine that I buy every issue of! It's great that manufacturers provide promo cards for the issues too.

Posts: 381 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Enjoying how the rotating Hot Lists themes keep it timely, Top 10 are fun and insightful, and Artist Remarques give a little insight on sketch card artists.

Would like to see an issue that has some wrestling in it especially now that WWE is on FOX and AEW is on TNT because that could be a growing segment to tap into. I even found out this year that Dr. Beckett has some older wrestling cards on his podcast. Might be too late, but an issue with wrestling in it around WrestleMania would be good timing.

Speaking of podcasts, get a podcast or go on someone’s podcast. Get some NSU exposure to another segment of the hobby. Having Matt jump on the “Fat Packs Podcast” again would be nice to hear. Or having Allan or Harris joining Dr. Beckett on his “Sport Card Insights” could be interesting hearing about the early days of the magazine and collecting.

With that said, I think keeping articles and topics timely and relevant to the current market releases and trends are important, but not at the expense taking a look back at vintage releases. Striking that balance is tough, but keeping it close to that 50-50 ratio might be good to please the current reading base and to entice new readership to catch on. Maybe even having some “extended version” of articles on the Beckett+ platform.

Its been said before, but sometimes to photos are too long and take away page space from other topics.

In the price guide, would like that see some of that non-sport representation from products like Goodwin Champions and Allen & Ginger. At least for autos and relics.

The price point ($5.99) of the magazine is still a good value especially compared to the other Beckett family of price guides ($9.99). Could a NSU branded “special edition” be put in place quarterly? For articles, polls, topics and the like that just didn’t have room in the normal NSU magazine. Maybe a special on Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel, DC, Garbage Pail Kids, James Bond, Outlander and so on.

More polls or topics that originate here on Card Talk that finding their way into the print magazine. Being “internet famous” and/or “Card Talk famous” is one thing, but then to be “NSU magazine famous” is a whole other level Thumb Up

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Those are good ideas. I'm sure there are wrestling magazines but there probably isn't much trading card coverage in them. NSU should be doing something to get get those fans to check it out - maybe a regular column. The column could cover all those "non-sports sports," the ones that don't get much attention in other Beckett publications and maybe have some crossover celebrities.

I think the articles have to be weighted a little more toward what's about to be released so maybe 55-45% or 60-40 upcoming stuff to vintage cards. Suddenly, the 90's are 20-30 years ago. I liked the recent article on the Mad Magazine cards of the early 90's which was tied to the announcement that the magazine would stop publishing monthly. It might have been Piko who suggested some time ago that NSU should cover more smaller sets of the past.

I didn't know what the Beckett sports guides sell for. The print is so tiny.

Yes, some kind of NSU special edition or annual devoted to the cards of a long-running franchise would be fun to read and attract some collectors of other kinds of memorabilia.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
Enjoying how the rotating Hot Lists themes keep it timely, Top 10 are fun and insightful, and Artist Remarques give a little insight on sketch card artists.

Would like to see an issue that has some wrestling in it especially now that WWE is on FOX and AEW is on TNT because that could be a growing segment to tap into. I even found out this year that Dr. Beckett has some older wrestling cards on his podcast. Might be too late, but an issue with wrestling in it around WrestleMania would be good timing.

Speaking of podcasts, get a podcast or go on someone’s podcast. Get some NSU exposure to another segment of the hobby. Having Matt jump on the “Fat Packs Podcast” again would be nice to hear. Or having Allan or Harris joining Dr. Beckett on his “Sport Card Insights” could be interesting hearing about the early days of the magazine and collecting.

With that said, I think keeping articles and topics timely and relevant to the current market releases and trends are important, but not at the expense taking a look back at vintage releases. Striking that balance is tough, but keeping it close to that 50-50 ratio might be good to please the current reading base and to entice new readership to catch on. Maybe even having some “extended version” of articles on the Beckett+ platform.

Its been said before, but sometimes to photos are too long and take away page space from other topics.

In the price guide, would like that see some of that non-sport representation from products like Goodwin Champions and Allen & Ginger. At least for autos and relics.

The price point ($5.99) of the magazine is still a good value especially compared to the other Beckett family of price guides ($9.99). Could a NSU branded “special edition” be put in place quarterly? For articles, polls, topics and the like that just didn’t have room in the normal NSU magazine. Maybe a special on Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel, DC, Garbage Pail Kids, James Bond, Outlander and so on.

More polls or topics that originate here on Card Talk that finding their way into the print magazine. Being “internet famous” and/or “Card Talk famous” is one thing, but then to be “NSU magazine famous” is a whole other level Thumb Up

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
When I go to B&N I see wrestling magazines, but I’m pretty sure there isn’t much if any trading card coverage in those magazines.

The next Wrestlemania is April 5, 2020 so having a wrestler on the cover of NSU for the April/May issue could catch the eyes of those fans. The cover subjects could be whatever Topps WWE promos being released around that time.

Potential article subjects could be: the various non-sport products that The Rock has autograph cards - 1998 WWE Superstarz (Comic Images), 2001 Scorpion King (Inkworks), and 2005 Doom (ArtBox); a highlight of other crossover wrestling stars in movies & TV like: Andre The Giant (The Princess Bride), Hulk Hogan (Rocky 3), Roddy Piper (The Live), Sgt. Slaughter (G.I. Joe), Triple H (Blade: Trinity), Randy Savage (Spider-Man), Big Show (Waterboy), Steve Austin (The Expendables), Kevin Nash (Magic Mike), John Cena (Bumblebee), The Miz, Becky Lynch & Shawn Michaels (The Marine 6), Ronda Rousey (The Expendables 3), Edge (The Flash), Roman Reigns (Fast & Furious presents: Hobbs & Shaw) among others; and the lasting popularity of the 1998-99 Topps WCW/nWo autographs.

Of course, having Hot Lists and Top 10 Lists are a must, too

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Those are good ideas. I'm sure there are wrestling magazines but there probably isn't much trading card coverage in them. NSU should be doing something to get get those fans to check it out - maybe a regular column. The column could cover all those "non-sports sports," the ones that don't get much attention in other Beckett publications and maybe have some crossover celebrities.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't watch autographs too closely but while I was looking for something else in Completed Auctions I noticed that a Scorpion King A1 The Rock autograph card went for $510 a couple of months ago. It got 23 bids. The current Beckett Almanac has it valued $125-250. That's something to write about.

quote:
When I go to B&N I see wrestling magazines, but I’m pretty sure there isn’t much if any trading card coverage in those magazines.

The next Wrestlemania is April 5, 2020 so having a wrestler on the cover of NSU for the April/May issue could catch the eyes of those fans. The cover subjects could be whatever Topps WWE promos being released around that time.

Potential article subjects could be: the various non-sport products that The Rock has autograph cards - 1998 WWE Superstarz (Comic Images), 2001 Scorpion King (Inkworks), and 2005 Doom (ArtBox); a highlight of other crossover wrestling stars in movies & TV like: Andre The Giant (The Princess Bride), Hulk Hogan (Rocky 3), Roddy Piper (The Live), Sgt. Slaughter (G.I. Joe), Triple H (Blade: Trinity), Randy Savage (Spider-Man), Big Show (Waterboy), Steve Austin (The Expendables), Kevin Nash (Magic Mike), John Cena (Bumblebee), The Miz, Becky Lynch & Shawn Michaels (The Marine 6), Ronda Rousey (The Expendables 3), Edge (The Flash), Roman Reigns (Fast & Furious presents: Hobbs & Shaw) among others; and the lasting popularity of the 1998-99 Topps WCW/nWo autographs.

Of course, having Hot Lists and Top 10 Lists are a must, too

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the giveaway! Looking forward to all the new releases in 2020! Keep up the great work in the magazine.

Posts: 67 | Location: Catawissa, PA | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
1 would just like to say that I received my winning cards and they are great, a big thank you for the competition and the site over the year. Looking forward to the next year Smile

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
use it as a resource for what is hot

Posts: 2604 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to our winners! Coalregion you have won the one-of-a-kind figurine and chesspieceface you have won the Art of TMNT boxed set.

Please email your mailing info to mbible@beckett.com and we will get those sent out this week!

Thanks to everyone for playing and keep an eye out for future contests!

Posts: 274 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: June 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Congrats to the winners and thank you to Beckett for the contests this year

Posts: 2604 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Congrats to coalregion and chesspieceface! Metal And a big thank you to Beckett for your generosity all year long. Clap

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Coalregion and chesspieceface for ending the year, or decade if you count it that way, on a high note. Smile

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Congrats to the winners!

I think Matt deserves some kudos for all his hard work contributing towards building a better non-sport community here, on social media, and in the magazines Thumb Up

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Congrats to the winners!

I think Matt deserves some kudos for all his hard work contributing towards building a better non-sport community here, on social media, and in the magazines Thumb Up

I can’t believe that was the first post with “2020” as the year on Card Talk . . . and this is my first post of 2020 on Pacific Coast Time Dance

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
congrats to the winners and thanks to the sponsors. Clap

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to Coalregion and Chesspieceface. Thanks to Beckett for doing those contests doing extra things for Card Talk people across the year. Happy New Year everybody!

Jess

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Well, my mom always said I was a winner and I guess I finally have something I can show that proves it.
Smile

I'm surprised and grateful to get this generous prize. Thank you to Beckett, NSU, and to my fellow Card Talkers who make this place a fun (and informative) read.
Thumb Up

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post