Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Cards in Sports Sets
 Login/Join

posted
Hey everyone. I threw this topic up over at Instagram and I wanted to leave it here, as well.

What is the opinion on Non-Sport cards in sports sets? Would this be something you'd like to see included in NSU?

It wouldn't be anything extravagant. Perhaps, we could have a bonus page or half page devoted to one or two sets every issue. Or, maybe we could do some write-up and include the checklists/pricing there.

There are a ton of cards/sets out there. Regular base cards/parallels, inserts, relics, patches, autographs and sketches have all been produced. The number is well into the thousands or possibly tens of thousands.

I know for sure the plan is to incorporate all the Non-Sport in Sports sets in a special permanent bonus section in the Non-Sport Almanac next year.

What does everyone think? Yay or nay?

Posts: 275 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: June 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yay. I loved those Fans of the Game autograph cards when they first appeared, but its hard to remember in which product individual autographs were seeded because it was a sub-set covered in a couple of different sports sets as I remember.

Including non-sport cards that come from sport card sets into the Non-Sport Almanac is a great idea. You can just dump that Funko section if you need more room. Big Grin

I do think that autograph cards hold more value than relics and trying to come up with a good way to list and price sketches is pretty much an impossible task to me. So if you do find a lot of cards falling into this bonus section, it would be better to concentrate on non-sport autographs so that you have primary hits, rather than lesser hits in MHO.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I have long been a fan of the non-sport subjects, both base and chase, in sets like Panini Golden Age, Goodwin Champions, and Allen and Ginter. These all come in such a variety of designs and sizes, ranging from tobacco card sized cards to 8 x 10 box loaders. One of the most amazing card series I ever saw was the one from an Allen and Ginter set, called The Ascent of Man, showing man's developement from cosmic dust to apes, to cavemen to modern man. It is done as a puzzle, 21 cards or so across... very cool.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In recent years many of my most prized non-sports autographs have come out of sports products.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of having those cards in the Non-Sport Almanac Thumb Up

A small write up in the NSU about a set or 2 along with a checklist and pricing sounds pretty cool Metal

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post