Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dec 2022/Jan 2023 Out
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
I stopped at a local sports card shop to buy some supplies and was surprised to see the new NSU for sale. Previously, someone from the east coast announces the release and usually subscribers in the UK get it before I do. The owner said he received his copies today.

The cover article asks which sci-fi card series is the best and offers some good ones with a sidebar on some stinkers. I would pick Star Wars Widevision (Topps, 1994) over The Orville, but if NSU was going for one set per franchise, I would have gone with the original Star Wars blue series over their choice (no spoiler om this one).

I didn't know there was a Topps International Trading card Day in August. You could have picked up a free exclusive pack of sports or GPK cards.

I hadn't heard that there is a Batman (Topps, 1966) calendar for 2023. Sounds like a great Christmas gift for my brother or nephew.

Great interview with artist Angel S. Aviles too.

The issue is bagged with an Ultraman Series 2 promo from RRParks plus a promo for Drive-In Double Feature from RJF Image/Design. My question for RJF: what happened to the "Invasion of the Bee Girls" cards they announced last year?

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

I didn't know there was a Topps International Trading card Day in August.

Neither did anyone who could be classed as international.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On the Utltra Man, I think there are 2 diff promos, 1 per issue

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My local comic store says he will have the new NSU in on Nov 23

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just got my copy in the mail today.

Included Ultraman NSU Promo 6 and Drive-In Double Feature P8.

Looks like a good article on Americana cards and Cracknell did "Top 10 Discount Autographs of Expensive Stars". I have six out of the ten, so not bad, but "discount" isn't the word I would have chosen. Especially since a few are not cheap and #1 is over $1,000. I like "off-brand" or "off-title" better, to mean not in the "best" character.

Like Nimoy's autograph card in Outer Limits is considered secondary to one from Star Trek. Yet it might also be harder to find since he signed in multiple Star Trek products over the years and Outer Limits has the one. The Tennant I picked up this year and that was cheap because it was a voice character, but still Star Wars and so what? Maybe it should have been called "Top 10 Smart Autographs of Expensive Stars". Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Just got my copy in the mail today.

Included Ultraman NSU Promo 6 and Drive-In Double Feature P8.

Looks like a good article on Americana cards and Cracknell did "Top 10 Discount Autographs of Expensive Stars". I have six out of the ten, so not bad, but "discount" isn't the word I would have chosen. Especially since a few are not cheap and #1 is over $1,000. I like "off-brand" or "off-title" better, to mean not in the "best" character.

Like Nimoy's autograph card in Outer Limits is considered secondary to one from Star Trek. Yet it might also be harder to find since he signed in multiple Star Trek products over the years and Outer Limits has the one. The Tennant I picked up this year and that was cheap because it was a voice character, but still Star Wars and so what? Maybe it should have been called "Top 10 Smart Autographs of Expensive Stars". Big Grin

"Discount" and "Cheap" are totally different things. If you are a fan of Nimoy and looking for his autograph, harder to find or not, his Outer Limits card is more affordable than his Star Trek autographs.

All Harrison Ford autographs are expensive. But spending closer to $1,000 for an Ender's Game signature than $2,000 for anything Star Wars. So it's a "Discount."

Calling something "Off-Brand" is insulting to those who like a license/show/movie/product. Just because a fanbase isn't as large or vocal doesn't make it inferior.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I liked your article. I like your top 10 lists in general, as I have said before. "Off-Brand" or "Off-Title was my way of saying it's not the main character or title for that specific signer. There was no insult intended whatsoever and all cards mentioned were in licensed product, so obviously no issue there either.

As to suggesting inferiority, I said they were smart choices. I said I have six of them myself. So that is actually the opposite of being inferior cards, isn't it? It was an endorsement for buying the "off-title" cards, as I always look to do myself.

As for word definitions, discount means something came down in price. These cards all have their own prices, they have not come down, some may well go up with more demand after people read your article.

But they are cheaper than the same signers on autograph cards belonging to the more desired titles. They are not cheap, but better bargains than the same autographs on more expensive cards. Ford's Enders Game autograph isn't discounted from his Star Wars cards, it's cheaper, even while being expensive in its own right. Get it?

I think that was the whole point of your list and I agree with your choices as much as any others that could have been selected. Hope that explains my post better, which was a compliment that seems to have fallen flat over a word.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, instead of "discount" it could have been "bargain" in the title because "discount" refers to an amount taken off the price with the added connotation that it wasn't selling at the previous price so it was marked down. You can't say any of those cards were discounted from a higher price. They are just less expensive alternatives.

There was a Card Talk thread about bargain autographs. I remember someone bringing up the James Earl Jones/Conan the Barbarian and maybe the Harrison Ford/Ender's Game.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I liked your article. I like your top 10 lists in general, as I have said before. "Off-Brand" or "Off-Title was my way of saying it's not the main character or title for that specific signer. There was no insult intended whatsoever and all cards mentioned were in licensed product, so obviously no issue there either.

As to suggesting inferiority, I said they were smart choices. I said I have six of them myself. So that is actually the opposite of being inferior cards, isn't it? It was an endorsement for buying the "off-title" cards, as I always look to do myself.

As for word definitions, discount means something came down in price. These cards all have their own prices, they have not come down, some may well go up with more demand after people read your article.

But they are cheaper than the same signers on autograph cards belonging to the more desired titles. They are not cheap, but better bargains than the same autographs on more expensive cards. Ford's Enders Game autograph isn't discounted from his Star Wars cards, it's cheaper, even while being expensive in its own right. Get it?

I think that was the whole point of your list and I agree with your choices as much as any others that could have been selected. Hope that explains my post better, which was a compliment that seems to have fallen flat over a word.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
There is also a nice layout on the Donruss/Panini Americana series in NSU. I always liked Americana sets because they had great autograph cards, and a lot of the focus was on old Hollywood. There were a bunch of relic cards with swatches from big Golden Age stars too. While the rival Pop Century has continued on, it looks like the last of the Americana line was released back in 2015. Here's hoping Panini will revive it someday.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Yay, finally saw it at B&N yesterday! Clap

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
My LCS received their’s on November 30th

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Curler
posted Hide Post
My issue included promo cards Ultraman Series Two NSU promo 6 and Drive In Double Feature P3.

Posts: 381 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I neglected to note that I got Ultraman Series 2 NSU promo 6 and Drive-In Double Feature P9.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
My issue contained Ultraman P6 & Drive-in P2

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am hoping to get mine some time this week notwithstanding the postal strikes. My area has not received any letter post at all this week (last delivery was Sat 4th) because the local PO management are only allowing the postmen and women deliver parcels and with the undelivered mail piling up they are also not allowing them to do any work that takes them past their normal hours.

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks to the kindness of my regular postman who broke his management's instruction by delivering letter post unpaid and outside his normal working hours I received some letter post today which included the latest edition of NSU which had the same numbered promo cards Hammer mentioned in his post (pun intended).

This was only my 2nd Royal Mail delivery in December and according to my postman might be the last this year if his management get their way. He said that the unsorted letter mail is rapidly filling up the storage space they have available but the bosses do not seem to care, I asked him how other sorting offices were coping and answer was they were not with some in a far worse state judging by the photographic images he had seen.

I know I still have outstanding regular mail that was intended for Christmas but there doesn't seem to be any reliable way of complaining about it as there is no tracking.

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I hadn't even heard that there was a postal strike going on in the UK. I think the last time we had one here was in 1970. The Post Office is now part of government, and they are not allowed to strike in the US. When they are mad, we just get worse service. Big Grin