Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Non-Sport Update Magazine Discussion    Oct/Nov 30th Anniversary Issue Is in the mail!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oct/Nov 30th Anniversary Issue Is in the mail!
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
Got my issue today. 3 promos, cover by Mick and Matt Glebe, 30 glorious years of NSU! A fun issue.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Came today and happy to see that GoT Season 8 Inscriptions finally hit the price guide, although I'm not sure where the low range $6 - $10 commons are found. Every one I tried to buy was asking twice that much. Big Grin

Great Glebes cover, I wonder what happens to that original artwork?

3 promos - RRParksCards Halloween 2020 Promo #1 and Nosferatu P1 have Non-Sport Update 30th Anniversary logos, while 2020 Marvel Masterpieces just has Non-Sport Update. No number there, but I got Wolverine.

Have to start reading now. Smile

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of andynova
posted Hide Post
Well, I am hoping that I receive the current one in the mail. My subscription ran out with the Jun/Jul issue as my last and I procrastinated and didn’t call to renew until July 2. I renewed for two years and was told that it would be six to eight weeks until I received my first issue. Frown That meant that I would not be getting the Aug/Sep, which as expected I didn’t. I then could not find it anywhere locally back in August. I am hoping that Harris has this back issue at the Philly Show next spring and I can get it there.

So, what did I learn from this? To renew my subscription before I receive the last issue. I’ve been a subscriber since the early 90’s and this is the first issue that I’ve ever missed getting. This will not happen to me again.

Have a nice day everyone.

Posts: 106 | Location: West Chester, PA, USA | Registered: December 18, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of andynova
posted Hide Post
I received the newest issue in the mail yesterday. My subscription has resumed. Yay. Clap

My favorite article would be the Top 10 Trading Card Evolutions of the Last 30 Years. I agree with each and every one, especially number 1.

Posts: 106 | Location: West Chester, PA, USA | Registered: December 18, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andynova:
My favorite article would be the Top 10 Trading Card Evolutions of the Last 30 Years. I agree with each and every one, especially number 1.

I was just going to say something about that article when I saw your post referring to it. I don't want to repeat the top 10 evolutions given because, hey you're supposed to buy NSU. However I do think they missed something big and maybe its because they named the elements without the overriding concept.

Yes I agree with #1 being what it is, but #2 should have been the switch to guaranteed, odds stated, premium hits by literally all card makers over the last 30 years.

Not the type of hits themselves, which are listed, but the knowledge that collectors would pull something out of a box, or a case, or even a premium pack because the maker tells you it is guaranteed to be there. Before that autographs, relics and sketches were in products, but you could buy boxes and boxes and never hit one. The odds were too long. Dud boxes were the norm and pulling a hit was the exception.

Now dud boxes don't fly. So it's the construction of product that I think should have had it's own number in that article, #2 to me, because that is what is driving current collectors to buy in the first place. The idea that a hit is definitely in there and you just have to be lucky enough to get the right one. Wink

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The local comic store received these this week, October 14.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've been checking a local B&N for the latest issue roughly every week including today since this thread started but it doesn't look like they got this issue unless they sold out within a few days and I just missed it.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
Don,

Nice job on the 30th Anniversary article. I like the list of promo cards over the years.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve. It was fun writing this one.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
Thanks Steve. It was fun writing this one.

I enjoyed it too

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming everybody noticed the pictures of all the writers. Interesting & Scary at the same time! Big Grin

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
I'm assuming everybody noticed the pictures of all the writers. Interesting & Scary at the same time! Big Grin

I agree with you as I suspect that it is tied in to Halloween as NSU needed some horror pictures and what better than to use pictures of the writers!

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
I liked seeing the pictures of the writers.
Now if there could be pictures of collectors along with some of the stuff written here Dance

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I found this issue yesterday at a local B&N. It had just come in. My next stop was a sports card store just up the road to get some sleeves and boxes and they had the issue as well. That store had not carried it before and I asked the owner about it. He said more people have been buying cards in the past couple of months since they re-opened so he ordered some non-sports too and some of it has sold so he thought he could sell some NSU too. He had some of the recent Walking Dead and Marvel hobby boxes and boxes of Yu-gi-oh.

I did notice that some of older baseball and football cards that had been in the cases were gone.

Jess

Jess

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Good to hear that shops carrying Walking Dead and Marvel boxes Thumb Up

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post