Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Non-Sport Update Magazine Discussion    August/September Arrives in my Mailbox
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

August/September Arrives in my Mailbox
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
Just a few minutes ago my latest issue arrived and I guess I was not expecting one yet. DC Infinite Earth Cover, 2 promos, RRParks Three Stooges Lenticular Motion Cards and Cryptozoic CZX Middle Earth.
Nice looking issue, was really impressed with what they did with my article on 1976 Star Trek. Also cover article and an artist bio on our friend Laura Inglis.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Excited that they are at least putting out CZX Middle Earth promo cards. Maybe there actually will be a product someday. Roll Eyes

The NSU promos for DC Infinite Earth came out so long ago, I would have sworn the cards were already out. Big Grin Guess I got it mixed up with Supergirl.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
Just a few minutes ago my latest issue arrived and I guess I was not expecting one yet. DC Infinite Earth Cover, 2 promos, RRParks Three Stooges Lenticular Motion Cards and Cryptozoic CZX Middle Earth.
Nice looking issue, was really impressed with what they did with my article on 1976 Star Trek. Also cover article and an artist bio on our friend Laura Inglis.

Sounds great, hope mine doesn't take 6 weeks to get here like last one

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Arrived today. The 2 promos were CZX Middle-earth P1 and The Three Stooges Series Nine P1.

Although Series Nine says Lenticular Motion Cards, the promo is just a regular card.

The Middle-earth promo is a thicker, glossy card like all CZX, but character montage is dark on borderless background. Only Gandalf stands out in his white.

I don't know what card makers have against bright, colorful photos. Twak Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
IT REALLY GETS ME MAD THAT IT APPEARS EVERYONE GET THE CORRECT 2 PROMO CARDS AND I DIDN'T. WHY DO THESE THINGS ALWAYS HAPPEN TO ME??????? I CALLED UP BECKETT AND THEY TOLD ME THERE WAS NOTHING THEY COULD DO TO GET ME THIS PROMO. APPARENTLY THESE ARE HAND SORTED. I THINK SOMEONE MAY HAVE DISTRACTED. HARD TO COUNT OUT 2 CARDS-PROBABLY A PRODUCT OF OUR EDUCATION SYSTEM.

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No, Frank, it happens from time to time. I think the last time there was a Lord of the Rings promo inserted, I didn't get that one with my issue. It would've been nice to have but oh well. Humans are imperfect. The card might have slipped unnoticed out of someone's hand and was found on the floor later or maybe they ran out of them. I understand the frustration but you might be able to find it cheap or trade for it later.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I did notice that the small white envelope with the promos wasn't sealed, just folded in, when I went to tear it open. Its possible for a card to slip out before being placed in the middle of the magazine to be bagged. I honestly can't swear that promo envelopes were always sealed before, but I kind of think they were. Maybe someone else can say or at least confirm when they get their issue. It is disappointing to not get all the cards expected.

If its any consolation Frank, I think you got the CZE promo, and that was the better one. Smile

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I honestly can't swear that promo envelopes were always sealed before,

Smile

Yes they were.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Raven

I have several of these envelopes tucked away in a drawer ready for re-use, which is mainly when I send off to Rittenhouse for one of their promo cards and occasionally two, I would not be able to do that if they were sealed.

Perhaps they were only sealed when the Toser's were responsible for NSU.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I dunno, I can definitely remember tearing them because I had to rip the edge and watch out not to catch the cards. It was way after the Tosers and I wouldn't have to tear it if the flap was only folded over. I just can't say if recent promo envelopes were all sealed, or if only some of them were sealed, or if none of them were sealed. Sounds like a survey. Wink

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Don't know where to put this because there is no thread yet for CZX Crisis On Infinite Earths, but it is the NSU Aug./Sept. cover.

While NSU is carrying the release time for both Crisis On Infinite Earths and Middle-earth as TBA, I just got the email update from CZE. Middle-earth isn't mentioned, but Infinite Earths is down as 1st Quarter 2022 with no price. Of course that is probably their most optimistic guess.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANK AMICO:
IT REALLY GETS ME MAD THAT IT APPEARS EVERYONE GET THE CORRECT 2 PROMO CARDS AND I DIDN'T. WHY DO THESE THINGS ALWAYS HAPPEN TO ME??????? I CALLED UP BECKETT AND THEY TOLD ME THERE WAS NOTHING THEY COULD DO TO GET ME THIS PROMO. APPARENTLY THESE ARE HAND SORTED. I THINK SOMEONE MAY HAVE DISTRACTED. HARD TO COUNT OUT 2 CARDS-PROBABLY A PRODUCT OF OUR EDUCATION SYSTEM.

Worth reaching out to Richard Parks. I'm really surprised Beckett doesn't keep a few extras just in case. They may be hand-sorted, but there have to be extras somewhere.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
ACTUALLY I DIDN'T GET THE STOOGE PROMO-THE LOTR WAS THERE.

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
No, Frank, it happens from time to time. I think the last time there was a Lord of the Rings promo inserted, I didn't get that one with my issue. It would've been nice to have but oh well. Humans are imperfect. The card might have slipped unnoticed out of someone's hand and was found on the floor later or maybe they ran out of them. I understand the frustration but you might be able to find it cheap or trade for it later.

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I DID. I MAY BE ORDERING THIS SET DEPENDS ON THE $. HE IS DISCOURAGING WRITE IN REQUESTS FOR PROMOS BUT HE IS SO COOL IF I PLACE AN ORDER HE MAY SEND ME ONE ANYWAY. NOTHING COMING UP OF INTEREST THAT HE IS PUTTING OUT UNITL THIS AND THE NEXT CHOKE SET. I HOPE THIS IS STILL AVAILABLE AS I MAY HAVE TO ACTUALLY BUY IT OR TRADE FOR IT DOWN THE LINE.

quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:

Worth reaching out to Richard Parks. I'm really surprised Beckett doesn't keep a few extras just in case. They may be hand-sorted, but there have to be extras somewhere.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I HAVE BEEN TOLD THESE ARE HAND STUFFED.

quote:
I did notice that the small white envelope with the promos wasn't sealed, just folded in, when I went to tear it open. Its possible for a card to slip out before being placed in the middle of the magazine to be bagged. I honestly can't swear that promo envelopes were always sealed before, but I kind of think they were. Maybe someone else can say or at least confirm when they get their issue. It is disappointing to not get all the cards expected.

If its any consolation Frank, I think you got the CZE promo, and that was the better one. Smile

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't know where to put this because there is no thread yet for CZX Crisis On Infinite Earths, but it is the NSU Aug./Sept. cover.

While NSU is carrying the release time for both Crisis On Infinite Earths and Middle-earth as TBA, I just got the email update from CZE. Middle-earth isn't mentioned, but Infinite Earths is down as 1st Quarter 2022 with no price. Of course that is probably their most optimistic guess.

I can tell you that they have not solicited orders yet.

1Q2022 might still be right though. That's 6 months or more out, and they usually only take orders a few months out.

Just wonder who is steering the ship at Cryptozoic now. Maybe we'll meet the new captain at Philly (in Philly) come October.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
Just wonder who is steering the ship at Cryptozoic now.

Ed

I think they will have a problem with Infinite Earths, no matter who is in charge.

The 'event' was shown in parts on the CW between December 2019 and January 2020. Right there it's dated and people have forgotten about it.

Putting out an expensive CZX premium product on DC characters in the movies is one thing and doing it for DC characters on the cheesy CW is another. There may still be demand, but not so much when its over $200 a box.

Some of these shows and actors are already gone or going. Supergirl is cancelled and Ruby Rose left Batwoman. Plus there have been sets already made on some of the shows with autographs already on the market.

I'm still interested in Middle Earth, if it ever materializes, but this one would be DOA for me. Its just my opinion and based on what I think will be the price. If it came out a year ago or if it's become a regular $80 box I could see it. It didn't come out and I don't expect the cost to drop when it does. I think it was a mistake, but of course you don't know until you know. Big Grin

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I really wish these cards were printed on regular card stock without all the fancy foil. It would cut down on the costs and could still have the autographs.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
Just wonder who is steering the ship at Cryptozoic now.

Ed

I think they will have a problem with Infinite Earths, no matter who is in charge.

The 'event' was shown in parts on the CW between December 2019 and January 2020. Right there it's dated and people have forgotten about it.

Putting out an expensive CZX premium product on DC characters in the movies is one thing and doing it for DC characters on the cheesy CW is another. There may still be demand, but not so much when its over $200 a box.

Some of these shows and actors are already gone or going. Supergirl is cancelled and Ruby Rose left Batwoman. Plus there have been sets already made on some of the shows with autographs already on the market.

I'm still interested in Middle Earth, if it ever materializes, but this one would be DOA for me. Its just my opinion and based on what I think will be the price. If it came out a year ago or if it's become a regular $80 box I could see it. It didn't come out and I don't expect the cost to drop when it does. I think it was a mistake, but of course you don't know until you know. Big Grin

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really wish these cards were printed on regular card stock without all the fancy foil. It would cut down on the costs and could still have the autographs.
[/QUOTE]

I wish the cards were brighter and showed more color. They are usually edge to edge borderless or dark bordered photos with high gloss and heavy on the blacks and browns. The foil is supposed to standout, but that little CZX logo doesn't do much to liven it up.

And no matter how improved the quality of the base cards or how many boxes necessary to complete a base set, I think we are seeing all of them sold complete for very little when they first come out. Not $5 sets, but maybe $25. Premium base sets are still being dumped in comparison to the box cost.

But you need big autographs to carry big product box prices, at least as a hook. CZX Super Heroes & Super-Villains contained a few big autograph cards, how ever tough the odds. Its possible for Middle Earth to carry a few big signatures, if they can get them. The best Infinite Earths will have are the main CW TV stars, if you can find them, and some will be repeats from other products. It's not the same thing and I don't see how they are going to trade high enough to lure in lots of speculating box/case breakers.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My subscription magazine arrived today with both promo cards.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post