Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Spooky Oct/Nov Issue Haunts the Mailbox

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/656602453/m/3827071796

October 09, 2021, 05:44 PM
Don Norton
Spooky Oct/Nov Issue Haunts the Mailbox
Okay, maybe its not that scary - a couple of Halloween related articles. Cover story is CZX Middle Earth. One promo this time, RR Parks Halloween Event (with full article inside issue).
October 13, 2021, 09:45 PM
andynova
I received the newest issue in today's mail. Great stuff inside. I especially liked the Hogan's Heroes article. Very interesting. It is good that NSU mixes in vintage cards articles along with the newer items.

October 16, 2021, 07:23 PM
Raven
Got it in mail today.
October 25, 2021, 02:26 PM
JOHN LEVITT
My copy arrived this morning.

October 25, 2021, 03:32 PM
catskilleagle
I looked for it at a local B&N last week but it hadn't arrived. I went again yesterday and it was there.

Of the Halloween sets coming out by RRParks, I like the "Galaxy of Tomorrow" set the most.

I thought the Hogan's Heroes article was very thorough even including a side note about cards for the show being in the "TV's Coolest Classics" set (Inkworks, 1998).
October 27, 2021, 01:42 PM
Raven
So finally started reading the issue and I wish there had been an expansion of ALAN BIEGEL's short "Face Off" Cardboard Conversation into a feature length article with more photos.

This one is for all the people who don't think its a big deal to buy unlicensed cards. When you see the lengths that card makers have gone through over the years to keep within licensing rights, while still trying to put out a card set, you can appreciate what a tough job it is to have a legitimate product that wasn't violating anyone's rights.

I would have liked to have read about more vintage examples and also current ones in recent sets, where card makers are navigating within the licenses they have and also trying to get around the obstacles that those licenses put in their way. I would also like to hear about how open sourced material can be used for cards that don't require that licenses be purchased. It's a good topic to cover more in depth in MHO, but nice subject to bring up at all.
October 27, 2021, 01:48 PM
wolfie
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

This one is for all the people who don't think its a big deal to buy unlicensed cards.

As far as i know i do not buy unlicensed cards however i see unlicensed cards all the time on ebay etc from people who clearly have just printed them in their home. Now somebody must own the license for these subjects and sets and yet the sets remain on sale and are not removed. This leads me to think that if the person who owns the rights does not care enough to have them removed what am i worrying for?

October 27, 2021, 02:56 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

This one is for all the people who don't think its a big deal to buy unlicensed cards.

As far as i know i do not buy unlicensed cards however i see unlicensed cards all the time on ebay etc from people who clearly have just printed them in their home. Now somebody must own the license for these subjects and sets and yet the sets remain on sale and are not removed. This leads me to think that if the person who owns the rights does not care enough to have them removed what am i worrying for?

wolfie, I agree with your sentiment 100%. It is not up to card collectors to try to police sellers of unlicensed product that is publicly displayed for sale. It's up to the licensed holders to protect their own copyrights and if they don't care about their money, neither should anyone else.

That still doesn't mean card collectors should buy unlicensed product because they won't be getting collectibles and they are hurting legitimate card makers and the hobby as a whole for all the reasons that we have run through in numerous threads on the subject. That's my opinion anyway.
October 28, 2021, 09:37 AM
hammer
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
My copy arrived this morning.

Good for you Big Grin
October 31, 2021, 01:27 PM
Raven
Reading over the 4 page spread on Hogan's Heroes cards in the Oct/Nov 2021 NSU, it occurred to me that there is no way that TV show would ever get on TV or have a revival or remake now. Forget about getting any cards. The images alone would be deemed unacceptable.

I don't know if any of the cable channels carrying old shows runs Hogan Heroes anywhere in this country. I kind of doubt it, its ripe for complaints. I can't remember the last time I even heard of episodes being on, but it was a rerun staple for a long time after it ended. Whether a comedy on a WWII POW camp can be fondly popular now is a big question and I think its too problematic for networks to risk.

How this effects the card demand I don't know. Some people may first get interested in them. The article is very focused on the cards and doesn't mention anything possibly controversial about the subject matter by today's viewpoint, although it does note that several actors were Jewish and the issue was addressed during the show's run.
October 31, 2021, 05:32 PM
Batman
METV runs it regularly, what is the purpose of even bringing this up?

October 31, 2021, 06:55 PM
catskilleagle
I didn't catch "Hogan's Heroes" until after all the episodes were in the can. Because the show ridiculed Nazis, any criticism at the time or today has been largely deflected especially with Jewish actors and perhaps others among management and crew involved with show. Yeah, a comedy about a Nazi prisoner camp sounds like a tough pitch with memories of Nazi atrocities still fresh in the minds of survivors and their families. It might have even been a therapeutic exercise for some while others refused to watch it even if they acknowledged that it was well-meaning. It did well enough to run for several years so many people didn't think a show like that came "too soon." Remember that "The Producers" was also released in the 60's.

I also get the feeling that "Hogan's Heroes" isn't one most people these days immediately think of when talking about 60's TV. I would say few people under 40 have watched it or could summarize it. It might be time for a documentary about the creation of the show and its run. There was a movie and a documentary about Bob Crane.

quote:
Reading over the 4 page spread on Hogan's Heroes cards in the Oct/Nov 2021 NSU, it occurred to me that there is no way that TV show would ever get on TV or have a revival or remake now. Forget about getting any cards. The images alone would be deemed unacceptable.

I don't know if any of the cable channels carrying old shows runs Hogan Heroes anywhere in this country. I kind of doubt it, its ripe for complaints. I can't remember the last time I even heard of episodes being on, but it was a rerun staple for a long time after it ended. Whether a comedy on a WWII POW camp can be fondly popular now is a big question and I think its too problematic for networks to risk.

How this effects the card demand I don't know. Some people may first get interested in them. The article is very focused on the cards and doesn't mention anything possibly controversial about the subject matter by today's viewpoint, although it does note that several actors were Jewish and the issue was addressed during the show's run.

October 31, 2021, 07:18 PM
Raven
The cultural and social changes of the last few years, coupled with media bombardment, have had a significant impact upon how history is viewed for many people. Entertainment history is no exception to that. Some of it makes sense, some doesn't. No matter what the point of view on any given subject, there is no denying things are looked at differently now.

Vintage card sets can either be hurt by or benefit from these changes brought on by cultural shifts, just like movies, TV shows, books and lots of other things from both the near and distant past, collectible or not. It's good to at least acknowledge that there is a discussion to be had on it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,
October 31, 2021, 11:00 PM
Batman
Whatever, still no place for that here, it’s about cards, not your beliefs.

November 01, 2021, 10:29 AM
wolfie
Well we know that if the film or tv series fails then the card set it is based on usually bombs aswell.
With this in mind if the cultural thoughts about an old tv series change to negative will the card set that was based on that show suddenly be not wanted by anybody for fear of appearing to support it by wanting to own the cards.

Time will tell. Personally i think it is all daft but some folks take these things very seriously these days.

November 01, 2021, 04:58 PM
catskilleagle
Several years ago, someone was legally wrangling for the rights to "Hogan's Heroes." I don't see the point unless there's some angle for a re-imagining of the show that would attract a 21st century audience.

Think about "The Dukes of Hazard" which has been banished from the airwaves. It's been stamped as racist, though if you watched the show, the Dukes were hardly racists. It was a family hour with most if not all of the episodes about them helping anyone in need and fighting local corruption. You just can't have a show with the heroes driving around in a car with the Confederate flag painted on it anymore.

Are fewer people collecting "Dukes of Hazard" cards because of how the show is judged today? It's a legitimate question. People who were fans of the show before are probably still fans.

"Star Trek" was all about diversity from the beginning. There seem to be more Star Trek shows and cards now than ever.
November 01, 2021, 07:03 PM
Raven
I'll see your "Dukes of Hazard" and raise you a "The Cosby Show", one of the most acclaimed TV shows ever made, that has now been banished from the airwaves. That one not specifically due just to a cultural movement, but for the downfall of its star. Imagine if there were card sets made on that title? There is other merchandise and random cast autographs that have taken a big hit.

There is nothing new about vintage collectibles or any collectibles falling out of favor. Some of the reasons are new now and, as wolfie noted, some are even kind of "daft", but the results are the same. And controversy can also have the opposite effect and stir up more demand for something. So its an interesting time to collect cards, autographs and entertainment memorabilia that you like, while keeping an eye out for icebergs ahead.

Perhaps your idea is the best Jess. Stick with "Star Trek". Who's going to pick on an Earth loving astronaut? Wink
November 09, 2021, 02:59 AM
hammer
Still waiting for mine. I'm cancelling if the problem continues.
December 11, 2021, 07:14 AM
hammer
Arrived today Clap
December 11, 2021, 07:44 AM
JOHN LEVITT
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Arrived today Clap

As did mine.