Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Non-Sport Update Magazine Discussion    Up & Down Arrows (aka "Plus & Minus") in the price guide
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Up & Down Arrows (aka "Plus & Minus") in the price guide
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted
Pretty sure card collectors from the 1990's and early 2000's liked to see the "Up" arrows in their Beckett price guides and older Non-Sport Update aficionados liked seeing the "Plus" next to the prices (not so much "Minus" signs) of their cards.

I was listing to the Fat Packs Podcast Episode 291 and Rich Klein was talking about working on price guides in the 1990's with Eric. I found this pretty interesting - currently there's 6 on pricing team compared to maybe 25-30 in the department in 1990's and so much traveling to card shows back then.
https://m.soundcloud.com/fatpa...ttlefield-box-breaks
Listen to the whole interview, but price guide stuff started right around the 20:20 mark.

From looking at the Price Guide Staff in the table of contents of the Aug-Sept 2018 NSU issue, there are 12 names listed. But I'm positive that they don't all work on the NSU price guide. I wouldn't be surprised that it's currently an army of one (Matt) for NSU because of the other publications need pricing also.

But what the 1990's and the other current Beckett publications don't have is Card Talk. We can point out what's hot and what's not - individual base, insert, autograph cards and so on. Maybe we can help BeckettBible24 get more of the Up & Down arrows in the price guide.

I think this insert set in slightly undervalued:
2011 Marvel Beginnings Villain Hologram
Currently pricing: $20-$40
Increase to: $25-$50

Individual cards that could be slightly higher:
Deadpool: $40-$100
Doctor Doom: $30-$80
Green Goblin
Thanos
Venom

Although we probably won't see this set in the monthly NSU price guide, maybe something to keep an eye on for the next Non-Sport Almanac price gathering period and on the Online Price Guide (OPG).

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I know how you feel because my first tendency whenever I pick up a price guide is to check for new sets listed and then scan for up and down indicators. Its the quick way to try and see what changed from the prior issue.

Compiling and revising price guides is a thankless job I think. The lag time between updating prices and magazine publication alone probably means that any quick changes won't make it in for at least the next two months. And because everyone is focused on newer cards, the older card prices are allowed to stay as though they never change, which of course some do change. I am sure I am not alone when I say that I have looked at current guides and found several listings that I know are way out of whack from the prices I get on those same cards when I am looking to buy. Sometimes I can get things cheaper on newer stuff, but most of the time I find the cards I'm interested in listed lower than I can really find them. Maybe that's just because I look mainly for autograph cards.

Anyway, in the distant past you could email NSU if you thought a price was really off on a particular card. You could still probably do that, but since this is a big concern for you HH, why not start your own thread in maybe General Card Discussion. Collectors could just list a card or group of cards and give the price guide range and state what they think it should be. It doesn't have to be a big discussion, just suggestions, and NSU could take a look at it and see if there is any merit to the change based on research. In that way it could aid the pricing analysis because let's face it, it is a job that is easy to find things wrong with, but no one ever says when the majority of it is good. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Good idea! Thumb Up Could someone move this to the General Card Discussion, please?

This came to mind because I was reading the Beckett's 4th Annual Superhero September Final Giveaways! thread so I can't take all the credit for the concern. I think BeckettBible24 does a terrific job, but I also think the we here can help lessen his load some. Non-Sports is such a wide array of cards that pitching from different angles could help Angel

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post