Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Non-Sport Update Magazine Discussion    Are there lists of cards for specific characters?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are there lists of cards for specific characters?
 Login/Join

NSU Elf
posted
Just started a new collection of a specific character(Solomon Grundy). Are there lists out there of all cards that feature a certain character? They do it for sports players but I couldn't find anything doing an online search.

I can go through the checklists on Jeff's site but was trying to be lazy!

Same question applies to comic book covers.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I doubt it. I once tried to research cards on Emma Frost and had to pick through checklists and other people's references. I give it up before I got anywhere near a good list.

Maybe you can find someone else's list, if they ever posted it somewhere.

It would also depend on the character you are looking for. Big names like Superman have too much stuff available to ever complete, but you have a better chance of finding out about it. A character like Solomon Grundy has a small fraction of stuff in comparison, but is harder to search because there is marginal interest. I'll bet a lot people had to look the name up, and yes I did hear of him, but I don't remember his place well other than being a villain. Wink

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
Just started a new collection of a specific character(Solomon Grundy). Are there lists out there of all cards that feature a certain character? They do it for sports players but I couldn't find anything doing an online search.

I can go through the checklists on Jeff's site but was trying to be lazy!

Same question applies to comic book covers.

Never seen a list.

But, you can use Google's advanced search to search ONLY Jeff's site for "Solomon Grundy". That would make the search manageable if not easy.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5082 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I doubt it. I once tried to research cards on Emma Frost and had to pick through checklists and other people's references. I give it up before I got anywhere near a good list.

Maybe you can find someone else's list, if they ever posted it somewhere.

It would also depend on the character you are looking for. Big names like Superman have too much stuff available to ever complete, but you have a better chance of finding out about it. A character like Solomon Grundy has a small fraction of stuff in comparison, but is harder to search because there is marginal interest. I'll bet a lot people had to look the name up, and yes I did hear of him, but I don't remember his place well other than being a villain. Wink

That is why I picked him. Not a big name like Superman so there won't so much out there that I would give up collecting him.

quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

Never seen a list.

But, you can use Google's advanced search to search ONLY Jeff's site for "Solomon Grundy". That would make the search manageable if not easy.

Ed

That is what I figured I would end up doing. Not a whole lot of DC sets so it isn't too bad.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
DC Comics: Super-Villains is scheduled to be released in the Spring. It's by Cryptozoic, so who knows about the release date, but I would think that you should find a Grundy card in that.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never seen a list.

Ed

Even simpler: Google search for:

... grundy site:nslists.com

I found:
DC Villains - Skybox 1995
DC vs. Marvel - Fleer/Skybox 1995
Justice League - Inkworks 2003
Humpty Dumpty Up-to-Date - Shelby Gum 1930s

I left the Solomon out of the search and it found a few false leads, but Google has a way of ignoring quote if you try to use a phrase like "solomon grundy." Note that Solomon also showed up for the nursery rhyme character ("born on a Monday"), even before Cyrus Gold appeared in comics! There probably more of these in the ancient history of unlisted card sets.

Amalia Barrios' site also picked up the Peru version of DC vs. Marvel.

I tried to set up search-word fields for the checklist site, but came to the conclusion that the Google searches over the domain works better. "Emma Frost" would probably pick up some false positives.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Not bad on "Emma Frost". I found:

70 Years of Marvel Comics Rittenhouse 2010
Flair '95 Marvel Annual Fleer 1995
Marvel 2012 Greatest Heroes Rittenhouse 2012
Marvel 75th Anniversary Rittenhouse 2011
Marvel Beginnings Series 1 Upper Deck 2011
Marvel Beginnings Series II Upper Deck 2012
Marvel Beginnings III Upper Deck 2012
Marvel Comic Heroes 2 Top Trumps Winning Moves 2003
Marvel Dangerous Divas 2 Rittenhouse 2014
Marvel Figure Factory S.2 ToyBiz 2005
Marvel Fleer Retro 2013 Upper Deck 2013
Marvel Greatest Battles Rittenhouse 2013
Marvel Hero Attax S.2 Topps 2012
Marvel Masterpieces S.2 Upper Deck 2008
Marvel NOW! Upper Deck 2014
Marvel Premier 2012 Upper Deck 2012
Marvel Premier 2014 Upper Deck 2014
Marvel Universe 2014 Rittenhouse 2014
Marvel: Dangerous Divas Rittenhouse 2011
Women of Marvel Rittenhouse 2008
Women of Marvel Series 2 Rittenhouse 2013
X-Men Archives Rittenhouse 2009

And some gaming cards from Amalia's site:

Marvel Overpower - Classic
Marvel Vs System - Web of S.M.
Marvel Vs System - X-Men

But in the earlier sets there are a lot of hits for White Queen, without the Emma name:

Marvel Annual Flair '94
Marvel Master 1992
Marvel Master 1994
Marvel Master 1995
Marvel Master 1996
Marvel Masterpieces 3
Marvel Metal
Marvel Recharge 1
Marvel Recharge 2
Marvel Universe 1992
Marvel Universe 1994
Marvel vs. Wildstorm
Varvel Vision
X-Men .99
X-Men 1
X-Men 1994 Fleer Ultra
X-Men 2
X-Men '95 Ultra
X-Men 96
X-Men '97 Timelines

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:
quote:
Never seen a list.

Ed

Even simpler: Google search for:

... grundy site:nslists.com

I found:
DC Villains - Skybox 1995
DC vs. Marvel - Fleer/Skybox 1995
Justice League - Inkworks 2003
Humpty Dumpty Up-to-Date - Shelby Gum 1930s

I left the Solomon out of the search and it found a few false leads, but Google has a way of ignoring quote if you try to use a phrase like "solomon grundy." Note that Solomon also showed up for the nursery rhyme character ("born on a Monday"), even before Cyrus Gold appeared in comics! There probably more of these in the ancient history of unlisted card sets.

Amalia Barrios' site also picked up the Peru version of DC vs. Marvel.

I tried to set up search-word fields for the checklist site, but came to the conclusion that the Google searches over the domain works better. "Emma Frost" would probably pick up some false positives.

Pretty sure that Humpty Dumpty one would be the nursery rhyme. The google search is a start but like you said there are a lot of false positives and missing hits altogether.

Good thing there aren't a lot of DC sets to search through!

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If I modify the search to:
... "solomon grundy" site:nslists.com

I get the same four sets with no false positives. The first time I wanted to make sure I saw any set with just "Grundy".

Over the last few years, Google has gotten (nearly?) flawless in avoiding missing items. One reason I format the lists as text files is to make them uber-friendly to search engines and I specifically enable robots.txt. Please email me if you find a proper hit that Google misses, since I use that method for my own searches ...