Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New December issue is Live
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
Today I received my new issue of NSU, with Rey on the cover. Looks really good! Only one promo - thank you Richard Parks!
Good Thanksgiving reading!

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Does "The Hot List" make a return in this issue?
Beckett Sport Card Monthly had these for the Top 5 for Non-Sport ...

5) Vanessa Williams auto
4) Caitriona Balfe wardrobe
3) Sam Heughan auto
2) Jeffrey Dean Morgan auto
1) Daisy Ridley auto

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Yes, the new HotList is in there, there are some new additions.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Nice!
Does it mostly consist of autographs?

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
No - its a mix of autos, sketches and relics

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the Hugh Hefner's 1992 Star Pics Playboy autograph card or the his pajama relics from 2005 Playboy 50th Anniversary by Stellar Collectibles will land on The Hot List soon? Although those Star Pics autos can be a bit questionable like the ones from Twin Peaks and SNL.

As for sketch cards, there was talk when the last issue had The Hot List about sketch cards being listed as a group from a product versus individually listed by an artist. Did that change to something like "Matt & Mick Glebe from 2017 Star Wars Masterwork" or stay a more general "sketch cards from 2017 Star Wars Masterwork" type listing. For example, there was some really nice sketch cards by some individual artists from 2017 DC Bombshells are are worthy of individual listings, but I wouldn't say sketch cards are "hot" as a whole.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately any compiling of hot cards, particularly certified autograph cards, are always going to be weighted toward new product and the most expensive signatures in that product. Even though a previously common card may become hot due to a recent event, it will rarely make any lists.

An example of this might be Tessa Thompson's Heroes auto, which should get a nice boost from her major role in Thor: Ragnarok. I'm sure collectors are picking it up now, where as it was not sort after even two months ago. Still it won't get that high and will probably not show up on the Hot List.

Now Harrison Ford and Daisy Ridley are going to be elevated to the list as soon as any new autograph product comes out, but is that really fair? I mean we don't need a list to tell us that they are in demand.

I'm not against the Hot List at all, I rather like it. Its just that with only 20 slots there are hardly any surprises. I would like a sort of companion list of underrated autograph cards. Stuff that should be worth more or stuff that we don't even know is out there. That would be a harder list to compile of course, but it could be pretty useful for people who are looking for affordable gems.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Great detective work on the Tessa Thompson autograph card! It probably sold sporadically in the $5 to $15 range for months and in the weeks since the release of the Thor movie is probably an easier sell in the $15 to $40 range.

Even though demand for the Tessa Thompson auto card has probably increased a great deal, it probably isn't at a level to crack a Top 10 list of hot non-sport cards. There's just too many newer cards that collectors are wanting to add to their collection. But with the renewed interest in that older auto, I can definitely see that hidden gem on collector's radar moving from virtually a non-entity to the range somewhere between 19 to 35 spot if there was a Top 50 Hot List.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was in a Barnes & Noble in San Jose, CA on Saturday. It hadn't arrived yet.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I found the new issue Monday in a Barnes and Noble in San Mateo.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
My subscription copy has not yet arrived, but my LHS had it in early last week. Last issue was the opposite, I had it much earlier than this and before the store. The mailing schedule for NSU seems to be very inconsistent from issue to issue. As long as it comes I guess.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No new issue at the local B&N today

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Anyone know if the digital version will be out soon, the app doesn’t give an indication.

Posts: 1 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: December 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Still has not shown up. I know, holiday mail, I hope. Roll Eyes

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The local comic shop received the issue from Previews on Wednesday. I just picked it up today.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Noticed the new issue was a B&N today

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by csmallfield:
Anyone know if the digital version will be out soon, the app doesn’t give an indication.

Is there a digital version of the NSU? In the circulation report within this month's magazine, it says: Print Only (No electronic copies)

Something that I found interesting was the number of total copies (net press run) of the magazine went down from last year's circulation data gathering: 5,568 (Oct/Nov 2016) to 5,358 (Aug/Sept 2017).

I wonder if the Outlander issue (June/July 2017) had a higher print run since it was sold out.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Really enjoyed reading the newest edition of the "Non-Sport Neighborhood" in this issue. I wish there were few pictures of Luke's James Bond cards collection.

Maybe there could be some collaboration with Beckett News to show picture content. Perhaps that kind of preview online could help push new readership to the NSU magazine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Heroes For Hire,

NSU Editor-in-Chief
Picture of A_Biegel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Really enjoyed reading the newest edition of the "Non-Sport Neighborhood" in this issue. I wish there were few pictures of Luke's James Bond cards collection.

Maybe there could be some collaboration with Beckett News to show picture content. Perhaps that kind of preview online could help push new readership to the NSU magazine.

Glad you enjoyed being in the Neighborhood. Luke was great to work with and his collection is fascinating. His interests expand beyond Bond but space constraints required me to keep a narrow focus. It's always a balancing act, you know. We are looking for new ways to add more images, perhaps even in the columns themselves, so keep watching and reading!

~Alan

Posts: 189 | Location: Bayonne, NJ USA | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I never received my subscription copy of the last issue and had to resort to picking it up at my LHS. It may have just gotten lost in holiday mail, but I kind of dislike the clear poly bag because it is so easy for anyone to see the magazine inside. Maybe someone is a card collector. Big Grin

It was a good article and I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows Luke from Card Talk, but as you didn't mention his forum name, I won't either.

As for images of cards, yes more please, but those full page and half page photos at the beginning of some articles can really go. It wastes precious space for other coverage or longer articles or even larger price guide font without adding anything in MHO.

Overall the issue was very good, now if the mail was I'd be set. Wink