Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Non-Sport Update Magazine Discussion    Apr/May Issue Heralds Arrival of Spring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apr/May Issue Heralds Arrival of Spring
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
Latest issue was in my mailbox yesterday. Dr Who on cover, some great articles. One promo, Dragons from Long Dog Cards.
A nice editorial by Alan Beigel, Top 10 James Bond Autographs and a couple of neat retro card articles, one on those little Foldees that we used to have so much fun with.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Came today, one Dragons promo.

Top 10 James Bond Autograph cards and not a Bond Girl in sight. Eek I guess its only James Bond, but some of the ladies do well too.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Was Ricky Jay one of them?

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Sorry no, these are picks from autographed cards of only the actors who played Bond. Moore, Craig, Brosnan, Lazenby and the Connery cut hitting #1.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Editor-in-Chief
Picture of A_Biegel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Top 10 James Bond Autograph cards and not a Bond Girl in sight. I guess its only James Bond, but some of the ladies do well too.

The ladies absolutely do well, as do most of the villains and henchmen. But this Top 10 was meant to only focus on James Bond himself. I’m sure at some point we’ll do one on autos for the rest of the casts.
~Alan

Posts: 189 | Location: Bayonne, NJ USA | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Alan,

Enjoyed your gripe article. Very much spot on.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Alan,

Agreed

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Editor-in-Chief
Picture of A_Biegel
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Alan,

Agreed

Thanks, Gents. Sometimes you just gotta let it out. Mad Mad

Posts: 189 | Location: Bayonne, NJ USA | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My copy arrived yesterday.

Regarding parallel cards in a way the practice is not new. In the 1950's and 1960's here in the UK it was quite common to have the various smaller tea companies issue the same series but with the only difference being the company name of the bottom. This followed a similar practice carried out by companies issuing cigarette cards years before that. With plastic pages I have a similar problem with the pocket numbers. With the 9 pocket pages you got a large sized album so it would make sense to have cigarette card size pockets for those cards which has happened but they have 15 pocket pages which as most cigarette card size trade cards here in the UK were issued in 25 or 50 card sets gives you the same problem. You can get an even larger page which has 30 pockets which makes it even worse.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I went to a Barnes & Noble yesterday thinking the issue would be in by now, but no, it hasn't come in yet.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Saw it at B&N today

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I saw it at a B&N on Wednesday and bought it.

Yes, there are too many parallels. It was a nice touch when Comic Images did it in the 90's with holochrome variants of the chromium base cards (usually one per box) in a set but the multiple levels we've been seeing over the past several years got old fast. The only time it seemed to work was in a very special set like Topps 75th.

Skip-numbering is not common enough to gripe about in my opinion.

I don't mind if a set isn't divisible by nine. Comic Images' base sets numbered to 90 with a 6-card chase set and then a rarer 3-card subset in some sets. But then there was a promo and an autograph card as well plus maybe a medallion card so you needed another binder page. Depending on the set, you could fill in the remaining spaces if you picked up extra holochromes.

I think not having the card backs in a set oriented the same way is the result of differing amounts of text. Some cards might warrant more text than others.

It was interesting to read about the Nu-Card Dinosaurs "S" card that sold at auction for $900 and it was just EX-MT graded PSA 6. I remember buying an unopened pack of that about 25 years ago. It was $30-35 then. I opened it and the cards filled in some spots in the set I had just started working on.

quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
Saw it at B&N today

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post