Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surprise! June/July is Here!
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
I was pleasantly surprised to find my new NSU in the mailbox today. The Brady Bunch is on the cover! A Zorro Series 2 promo is included. Articles on the Mandalorian 2, Mars Attacks and more.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Received yesterday, one promo card Zorro Second Series P1.

Don't mind the article on the Brady Bunch cards, but the NSU cover looks like a 1970's TV Guide. Roll Eyes Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Editor-in-Chief
Picture of A_Biegel
posted Hide Post
Excellent! That’s the look we were going for! Big Grin

~Alan

Posts: 189 | Location: Bayonne, NJ USA | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well in that case, you nailed it. Big Grin

I do have a question though. Why is Fortnite finding its way onto the NSU Hot List and the price guide? I know its selling, but its still gaming.

Nevermind I just looked it up and seems like you aren't supposed to play these large sets, which frankly makes even less sense since it is a video game and what is the point of making cards that don't interact, but I guess I just don't get it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Actually, TV Guide covers were pretty advanced for their time. They were the first mass produced magazines to have holographic covers, Lenticular 3D or motion covers, and multiple collectible covers. I liked the Brady Bunch cover, it's retro and fits the subject well.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
There are currently 18,262 listings for TV Guide on eBay.

There really is a market for them. Remember George Costanza's father Frank and his collection of TV Guides on Seinfeld? Maybe we need a price guide? Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I have a small TV Guide collection, but then...

...who doesn't?

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Once again, something routinely thrown away in the past has become valuable (some people collect old calendars too). Everybody with a TV bought a TV Guide every week as it was the only way to know what was on. Where I lived in the 70's, we got ABC, NBC, CBS, one local independent station (that become part of the Fox network in the late 80's), a PBS station, and a few cable stations. We were a little too far away to get the Sacramento stations clearly (always looked like it was snowing there). Even with all the channels now, I think we got the same amount of interesting content back then.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I always saved the ones with lenticular covers, Elvis Presley singles, Star Trek, X-Files, gorgeous babes and the likes on the covers.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The cover is really great. I like that they had the guts to run with something not at all in the current mainstream.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So all kidding aside and this is just my own opinion, but I think advertising backs it up with numbers.

Magazine covers are not for subscribers, because subscribers have already bought into the content and take whatever is in the mailbox. Magazine covers are there to attract new readers on the newsstand stand or whatever else you may see it. They are meant to show current, hyped subjects and beautiful people don't hurt either. If 3 or 4 subjects gets you the most circulation, than they keep repeating those 3 or 4 subjects and it makes more people subscribe and/or single buy.

Retro articles are great. Retro covers are a different matter when mainstream, and hot mainstream, is exactly what you want. Again just my suggestion, I get NSU no matter who's on the cover. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The "Brady Bunch" is one of those shows that the kids discovered during COVID so it might be more hip than you think. My youngest niece watched the whole run. She's my gauge for what the kids are into. There was also a recent HGTV special about renovating the house the show was shot in.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
So all kidding aside and this is just my own opinion, but I think advertising backs it up with numbers.

Magazine covers are not for subscribers, because subscribers have already bought into the content and take whatever is in the mailbox. Magazine covers are there to attract new readers on the newsstand stand or whatever else you may see it. They are meant to show current, hyped subjects and beautiful people don't hurt either. If 3 or 4 subjects gets you the most circulation, than they keep repeating those 3 or 4 subjects and it makes more people subscribe and/or single buy.

Retro articles are great. Retro covers are a different matter when mainstream, and hot mainstream, is exactly what you want. Again just my suggestion, I get NSU no matter who's on the cover. Smile

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I received my copy today and I have already consigned it to the "read" pile as the only article for me that was of interest was for Mars Attacks and I am a backer on the their current Kickstarter issue. June must be the month for receiving uninteresting card magazines for me as the two other magazines I have received this month also did not contain much of interest for me. I suspect looking at too many old card magazines this "lockdown" has had an effect.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
June must be the month for receiving uninteresting card magazines for me as the two other magazines I have received this month also did not contain much of interest for me.

Now I’m curious to know what the other 2 card magazines are Wink

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
They have been mentioned on CardTalk before. They are British issues:-
Card World published bi-monthly by the Cartophilic Society of Great Britain available only to members
CCN (Card Collectors News) published monthly by LCCC (card dealer) available by subscription.

Both magazines have a mixture of Cigarette Card and Trade card articles but mainly featuring cigarette cards.

I have been a subscriber to both for many years in fact years before NSU was first published.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
I received my copy today
regards

John

Still waiting for mine

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of andynova
posted Hide Post
I'm still waiting for my issue too.

Posts: 106 | Location: West Chester, PA, USA | Registered: December 18, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Me too!

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The last issue arrived at the local Barnes & Noble earlier than normal. Based on that, I think the new one could be there this weekend.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Still waiting

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post