Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Non-Sport Update Magazine Discussion    Non-Sport Update News - NSU Acquired by Beckett Media
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Update News - NSU Acquired by Beckett Media
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Dear Friends,

We wanted to share our news with you. Recently, we received an offer from Beckett Media to purchase Non-Sport Update. We have been producing NSU for the past 26 years and this seems like the right time to sell.

The family has always worked as a team but Roxanne and Marlin are at a point in their lives when they feel it is time to move on. Harris will work as a consultant to Beckett Media and we expect the publication of the magazine will continue as smoothly as it has in the past.

This is a bittersweet moment for us as we have thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated working with our readers, advertisers, writers, graphic designers and printers. Without all of you, we would not have been around for 26 years. Other magazines came and went but we remained as the voice of the hobby we love.

The Philly Non-Sports Card Show was not a part of the sale and we will continue to run the show on a twice yearly basis. The next show will be on May 14 and 15 at the Merchants Square Mall in Allentown. We hope to see many of you there.

Harris is hard at work on the upcoming March-shipping issue of Non-Sport Update. The issue will be published on-time and without delay, as will other upcoming issues of NSU.

Sincerely,

Roxanne, Marlin and Harris Toser

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
That's bitter sweet news. Thank you for 26 great years, Wishing you all the best!

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
A bittersweet moment with all sorts of swirling thoughts. NSU was the magazine I found back in my old fuddy duddy days and I've appreciated it ever since. I have always held Harris as one of the people responsible for putting my feet on the obsessive path it's been on all these years Wink One of the images on my website is a low res GIF of all things given to me by Harris for my research. I mean srsly, who uses gifs for images anymore that aren't animated Wink We're THAT old Wink I got my Voyager NSU Gummie card, which was one of my first non-pack inserted trek cards that expanded my horizons on what and how to collect. I know this is a time of transition and not one of ending and that's great and I look forward to what's ahead!

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Thank you for everything, Marlin and Roxanne.
Looking forward to the future of the magazine hopeful that Harris' continued involvement will enable it to remain the journal of record in the non-sports industry, as it has been for over a quarter century. Long live NSU.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
The end of one era and the beginning of another. Thanks to the Tosers for supporting the hobby and, on a personal note, introducing me to so many people that I can now call a friend!
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I am happy for the Toser family, you had the opportunity to write your own ending.

I am less happy for myself and the other people who read NSU and frequent Card Talk. It is a new beginning, but I'm not that good with change. I selfishly liked things the way they were. Smile

There are a lot of questions and probably not many answers right now, so I won't ask them. I'm sure we will be informed of things in due time.

Thank you Roxanne, Marlin and Harris for the past 9 years I've spent with NSU and Card Talk. I hope to continue on reading NSU for as long as someone gets it out. For now, it has been a pleasure for me to come this far with you and the other Card Talk regulars.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Whilst very sad at this news, if it is an offer that Marlin & Roxanne were happy with then we must wish them well and thank them for what they have done for our hobby. I am glad that Harris has been retained to give some continuity and also glad that they have retained the Philly Show. It will be very strange not to have the Toser's at the helm, they will be a VERY tough act to follow. Cheers

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
Very happy for Roxanne, Marlin and Harris.

NSU has been my fav mag for the last 26 yrs...
I always look forward to the next issue. And thats saying alot!

Thanks for a job well done by all (The Tosers, Alan, Bill D, the writers, & staff/helpers too)

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Horray for the Toser family! I hope for the best in the upcoming years for you! I will miss my annual phone call to renew and check in with you personally! All the best to you!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
There is allways a right time to do things and having given it much thought you have obviously decided that time is now.

All we can do is thank you for all the years you put into the hobby and wish you well for the future. Clap Wavey

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Bittersweet news, definitely. I wish the Toser family all my best, and look forward to continuing my NSU reading for as long as possible !

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Roxanne, Marlin and Harris!

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Elaine Perna
posted Hide Post
I wish all the best for the Toser family. The Tosers and everyone who worked on the NSU Magazine have done an outstanding job! I wish all the best to everyone! Smile

I'm also looking forward to reading the new magazine and going to the Philly show. Big Grin

Posts: 2274 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Roxanne, Marlin, and Harris. It's been an honor having my artwork featured in the magazine under your reign, you've all been an absolute pleasure to work with. Best wishes to everyone, and it's great to see Harris will remain on board to keep the magazine going in the future.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I am shocked this didn't happen sooner. Magazines are dying out (the only ones I still buy are NSU and Doctor Who Magazine) and it must have been tempting to call it a day many times. The fact that the Tosers kept NSU running is a testament to their love of their hobby.

I hope Card Talk hangs around, I hope that Beckett keeps up the promo cards, and I hope that the Tosers enjoy their well-deserved retirement.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to Roxanne, Marlin, and Harris on your new beginnings. You and the staff that have worked on NSU over the years can be proud of your accomplishments. There also has not been a better forum to trade, meet people and get the latest news than card talk.

Thank you for all you have given to us avid readers and good luck in your future pursuits.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A big thank you to the Tosers and all at NSU for everything you've done for our hobby. You've brought a lot of joy to a lot of people around the globe.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to the Toser family. Like Raven, I like the magazine the way it is but we also have to be happy for the Tosers as they leave the industry as publishing champions - no mean feat these days. Keeping any magazine running for a few years is an accomplishment but 26 years is a business miracle. I'm sure Beckett Media noticed that there continues to be a paying audience for non-sport news and comment even after all these years because NSU is still alive. They must have thought it was more economical for them to buy the proven survivor in the industry rather than start from near scratch and try to copy the success from a distance.

I met Roxanne years ago (I think it was either when Keith Dennis had a show out here or maybe it was San Diego). She's a nice lady and obviously a great businessperson in a family of great businesspeople and we can call them non-sport heroes too.

Again, I add my congratulations and look forward to Beckett successfully running NSU and maintaining the high standard the Tosers held even in tough times.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
Dear Friends,

We wanted to share our news with you. Recently, we received an offer from Beckett Media to purchase Non-Sport Update. We have been producing NSU for the past 26 years and this seems like the right time to sell.

The family has always worked as a team but Roxanne and Marlin are at a point in their lives when they feel it is time to move on. Harris will work as a consultant to Beckett Media and we expect the publication of the magazine will continue as smoothly as it has in the past.

This is a bittersweet moment for us as we have thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated working with our readers, advertisers, writers, graphic designers and printers. Without all of you, we would not have been around for 26 years. Other magazines came and went but we remained as the voice of the hobby we love.

The Philly Non-Sports Card Show was not a part of the sale and we will continue to run the show on a twice yearly basis. The next show will be on May 14 and 15 at the Merchants Square Mall in Allentown. We hope to see many of you there.

Harris is hard at work on the upcoming March-shipping issue of Non-Sport Update. The issue will be published on-time and without delay, as will other upcoming issues of NSU.

Sincerely,

Roxanne, Marlin and Harris Toser

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Good luck with future endeavors.

Does the sale include Card Talk?
Will it be shut down and members directed to the Beckett site?

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, to me this means that it's even more important to attend the Philly Show! Even though I've been a subscriber for lo these many years, ultimately I know it's the people who assured its wonderful content and superior management. I hope the 'next steps' see renewed vigor and enjoyment for the entire Toser clan!

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post