Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Non-Sport Update Magazine Discussion    August-September Non Sport Update is Live!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
August-September Non Sport Update is Live!
 Login/Join
 
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
A surprise in my mailbox today... the latest issue of NSU!
Looks great, has Outlander on the cover. Three promos, Outlander P6, Monstrous Art of Robert Aragon MNS-1, and Sharknado P3. The hunt is on - go get'em!
 
Posts: 2831 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Is this another Aragon set, i thought we had that one a while back?

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 28398 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Wow! That's pretty awesome!
What's the Hot List focus of the month?
 
Posts: 553 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Wolfie, this is a new set. It actually came out in 2017, but has been updated. It was in my article about MNSCards, including the bit about the Chaney Legacy, and Cuds the Teddy Bear.
 
Posts: 2831 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Thanks Don. Thumb Up

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 28398 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
There are two different Monstrous Art of Robert Aragon promos from MNS Cards randomly inserted in this issue. Also, three different Outlander promos from Cryptozoic Entertainment randomly inserted. Copies contain one each of both plus the Sharknado promo from RRParks CARDS.
 
Posts: 12938 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of andynova
posted Hide Post
I also received the new issue in my mailbox over the weekend. I was apprehensive a little as I opened it, especially when I noticed the top of the plastic mailing wrapper was partially open already. But fortunately, the promo envelope was inside Clap and all's right with the world.

____________________
--Andrew
 
Posts: 90 | Location: West Chester, PA, USA | Registered: December 18, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Arrived yesterday all in one piece. Wink

Outlander may be a big card hit, but it sure makes for a boring cover. Felt like the 4th of July all over again. Big Grin
 
Posts: 8312 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
My copy arrived in the UK today. My Outlander promo was P4.
Loved the Lost in Space article, and the Star Trek article may even tempt me back to a Trek set - something I haven't done for a few years.
One thing missing (unless I missed it) was the acknowledgement of the promo suppliers, the promos we may expect for the next issue, and indeed, the date of the next issue. I liked that little box.

When the magazine was published by the Tozer's, the paper envelope it came in gave an indication when the subscription was due. Is there any way I can check when mine is up?

It still puzzles me why Ultra-Pro advertises full page for comics, but nothing for cards - in a card magazine.
 
Posts: 3764 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Wonder if UK has P4. My subscription just expired so you must have another year
 
Posts: 11914 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Graham:
When the magazine was published by the Tozer's, the paper envelope it came in gave an indication when the subscription was due. Is there any way I can check when mine is up?/QUOTE]

I would second that request, subscription end dates should be evident. Here's my issue with that . . .

I know my subscription is not up because I sent in renewal payment in March of this year, based on an early renewal offer from Beckett. I'm now good thru July - August 2019.

So what comes the other day but another early renewal offer for a 2 year discount. No mention is made of when my current subscription runs out. So now I'm not sure if I got this because Beckett just sends early renewal offers to everyone or if there is some problem that my renewal was not processed. Why would I go in for an additional 2 years when I just started my current term? No way am I trying to get through to that customer service line, so I guess I will wait to see if I miss the next issue. Then I will know if there is a screw up, which maybe is all good, but I can't tell right now.

Either way, Beckett should clearly state when your subscription expires or when your last issue is given. If they are mailing early renewals to everyone, including people who have just renewed, they are wasting money. They are also confusing everyone and maybe people who are expiring don't even know it until NSU doesn't show up.
 
Posts: 8312 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
What short memories you guys have got! All you need to do is look at the June/July thread with my comment dated the 13th June and from then onwards you will discover that renewal problems have already been discussed.

regards

John

____________________
 
Posts: 1776 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I also received my August/ September issue with P6 Outlander, MANS-1 for the Monstrous Art of Robert Aragon and P3 Sharknado.

I did manage to obtain the June/July issue but without the promo cards and of course the Outlander card that was in it is now being ransomed at extortionate prices so beware of missing a renewal date.

____________________
 
Posts: 1776 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
What short memories you guys have got! All you need to do is look at the June/July thread with my comment dated the 13th June and from then onwards you will discover that renewal problems have already been discussed.

regards

John


Not at all. There were a whole host of comments made in that thread about various things arising from the June/July issue. Many were not actually resolved, just voiced. Your own problem with subscription renewals seemed to center on late arrival. I'm talking about early offers here and the fact that I have no confirmation from Beckett as to what I believe would be my current expiration date. Different parts of the same thing, but not the same.

Also these threads have a short shelf life and very few people go back when there is a newer thread. So what you post in June/July NSU is easily overlooked when August-September NSU is started. If your issue is unresolved, nothing wrong with repeating it. Eventually you might get a change or at the very least an acknowledgement.

If you get your next issue and there are no promos in it, are you not going to say it again because you may have said it before John? Big Grin
 
Posts: 8312 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Subscribers to "The Wrapper" get a separate notice in the mail saying your subscription will run out with the next issue and it includes a reorder form with a few freebie cards. There's also a box marked in red on the back of the magazine when the subscription has ended with that issue. Other magazines do something similar.

I've been to two Barnes & Noble stores, including one today. The June/July issue was still there.

Jess



quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Graham:
When the magazine was published by the Tozer's, the paper envelope it came in gave an indication when the subscription was due. Is there any way I can check when mine is up?/QUOTE]

I would second that request, subscription end dates should be evident. Here's my issue with that . . .

I know my subscription is not up because I sent in renewal payment in March of this year, based on an early renewal offer from Beckett. I'm now good thru July - August 2019.

So what comes the other day but another early renewal offer for a 2 year discount. No mention is made of when my current subscription runs out. So now I'm not sure if I got this because Beckett just sends early renewal offers to everyone or if there is some problem that my renewal was not processed. Why would I go in for an additional 2 years when I just started my current term? No way am I trying to get through to that customer service line, so I guess I will wait to see if I miss the next issue. Then I will know if there is a screw up, which maybe is all good, but I can't tell right now.

Either way, Beckett should clearly state when your subscription expires or when your last issue is given. If they are mailing early renewals to everyone, including people who have just renewed, they are wasting money. They are also confusing everyone and maybe people who are expiring don't even know it until NSU doesn't show up.
 
Posts: 1915 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
The August 2018 Beckett Sports Card Monthly Hot List for Non-Sport looked like this:

1) 2018 Game of Thrones Season 7, Sophie Turner bordered auto

2) 2012 Fringe 1 & 2, Meghan Markle auto

3) 2018 DC's Legends of Tomorrow Seasons 1 & 2, Caity Lotz auto

4) 2018 Game of Thrones Season 7, Jim Broadbent bordered auto

5) 2018 DC's Legends of Tomorrow Seasons 1 & 2, Arthur Darvill auto

Key Sale:
$700 - 2002 Dark Angel, James Cameron auto
 
Posts: 553 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
Key Sale:
$700 - 2002 Dark Angel, James Cameron auto


Not sure where you saw the Cameron, but its not one of the 8 key sales in my August/September edition.

An 8.5 graded card was sold on eBay for $700 in June, but in July an ungraded Cameron Dark Angel was sold for $299. That card has never been that popular because he is not a popular personality despite his success. If it was a mint 10 grade maybe a good see it, but $700 for an 8.5 is way too high for me.

Of course they still seem to be trying for $1,400 BINs on the Alba Dark Angel, so go figure. Big Grin
 
Posts: 8312 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
Key Sale:
$700 - 2002 Dark Angel, James Cameron auto


Not sure where you saw the Cameron, but its not one of the 8 key sales in my August/September edition.


It was in the August 2018 issue of the Beckett Sports Card Monthly.
Looks like the James Cameron auto might be the same BGS 8.5 graded card.
 
Posts: 553 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
My mistake, I was reading the thread title and didn't notice you switched to the other mag, even though you said it in the first line. Big Grin

Anyway, yes, probably the same card, but it was over paid if an ungraded went for $400 less the following month. That assumes similar condition of course, but an 8.5 that is showing enough defects to warrant the deductions would seem to be obtainable with any reasonable handling. If it were a mint 10 I would better understand such a large premium.
 
Posts: 8312 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Saw it at B&N today
 
Posts: 553 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Non-Sport Update Magazine Discussion    August-September Non Sport Update is Live!

© Non-Sport Update 2013