Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jun/Jul Issue in the house!
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
I guess 2 of the promos were inserted at random from a set.

I got Bob Ross and Edgar Allen Poe (1 of 500)

New company "Cardsmiths" to watch.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I was wondering when we'd read about the arrival of the issue due this month.

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
I guess 2 of the promos were inserted at random from a set.

I got Bob Ross and Edgar Allen Poe (1 of 500)

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

It looks like they are going to do a " Golden Girls" set. It would be hard to do autographs with it, since all of the stars (and most of the secondary characters) have died in the 30-odd years since it went off the air.

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Good to see any new players in the card game. Hadn't heard about "Golden Girls". I would think someone is still collecting royalties there, so don't know what getting a license would look like.

As for autographs, I doubt they would bother to try it, but they could do cut signatures of the "Girls". There are also a number of living actors who made minor appearances on the show. Most names I didn't recognize, but believe it or not, George Clooney made a cameo. He's definitely not signing. Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was checking to see if there was a "Golden Girls" collector on "Collector's Call." I don't see one (might have been one in a previous season) but this season (already 8 episodes into it) there's a guy who collects Harry Houdini stuff - thought you might like to know.

https://www.metv.com/collector...nside-the-collection

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:

It looks like they are going to do a " Golden Girls" set. It would be hard to do autographs with it, since all of the stars (and most of the secondary characters) have died in the 30-odd years since it went off the air.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Arthur Moses is well-known among magic collectors and Houdini buffs. I've never met him, but he is a friend-of-a-friend through numerous paths.

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Card Smiths site has checklists posted for several sets, but not Golden Girls -- there are no hits outside of parallels listed on the checklists.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Got my issue today. The address label was almost falling off and a slit in the bag had the promo envelope poking out, but everything was there.
This is going to be a popular issue with Marvel fans, the top ten is 10 best Spiderman autos.
My promos were Ancient Egypt Trading Cards from RRParks and Long Dog Cards P1, Killer Klowns from Outer Space BP-3 from Cardsmiths, and a Review/Preview from Gilded Age from Historical Autographs. It is numbered 278 on front and shows Winston Churchill (he is #278 in the base set) but the back is a promo card for Gilded Age. It would be interesting to see if other cards from this set show up as promos.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Arrived today with 3 promos. Same BP-3 Killer Klowns promo from Cardsmiths, design looks nice, I don't see any promo number for Ancient Egypt, front artwork of Tut by Ingrid Hardy. Now the Gilded Age has no number, but 1 of 500 and Nikola Tesla is on front.

As for the Spider-Man Top Ten Autographs, they are almost all fairly expensive cards, and I would say that only Stan Lee and maybe Tom Holland are readable. Just makes you appreciate the good signers more when you see such indifferent signers.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I noticed on the contents page a list of the promos, there are up to 15 different for Historical Autographs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Don Norton,

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

As for the Spider-Man Top Ten Autographs, they are almost all fairly expensive cards, and I would say that only Stan Lee and maybe Tom Holland are readable. Just makes you appreciate the good signers more when you see such indifferent signers.

There should have been an Alfred Molina/Doc Ock card.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Whoa, Cardsmiths has a Killer Klowns set in the works? Did they have anything about it at the Philly show? If so, I didn't notice at their table. Darn it!!

I hope it doesn't follow their Bob Ross model where I'm not going to be able to afford it. Frown

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow, there are 15 diff Cardsmith promos in the new NSU ? So far I have only seen promo # 5 of Bob Ross. My copy won't be arriving for 2 weeks. Can someone please post a list of what all 15 are ?

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
No Tommy, there are 15 Historical Autograph promos. There are 5 Cardsmith promos.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Oh, sorry. Does anyone know what the 5 promos are ?

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On the Cardsmiths, I saw a BP-6 of Bob Ross on ebay

Not the same as BP-5. Was this in NSU also ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of jademaliburoad
posted Hide Post
Golden Girls could be a very fun set, especially with quotes.
Quentin Tarantino is always very grateful about his small part and residuals, that kept him going, til Reservoir Dog.

Posts: 1188 | Location: France | Registered: April 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Mine arrived today - enjoyed the Cardboard conversations article and the Non-Sport news.

I got #29 Blue Angels on the Review/Preview from Gilded Age from Historical Autographs, Ancient Egypt from RRParks/Long Dog and BP-6 Bob Ross (Aurora's Dance) - nice as I saw the Northern Lights in Iceland this year

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammer,

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My issue of the magazine arrived this morning, my cards were almost identical to "Hammer's" except my Blue Angels card was #29 being the same image used in the article on page 34.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I found copies of the new issue at a local B&N today. My copy had the "Ancient Egypt" P1 (number not easy read in the upper right corner), an unnumbered "Gilded Age" review/preview with Nikola Tesla on the front, and a Killer Klowns from Outer Space BP-4.

It will be interesting if NSU does other theme issues like this Marvel one. There are numerous possibilites like DC Comics, space exploration, pin-up, dinosaurs, monsters, Lost in Space, Star Trek, Star Wars, maybe covering some of the more obscure sets based on the last two since many of the major sets have been well-covered in the past.

I liked the Star Trek Discovery article. I've seen only Season 1 so it was fascinating to read bits about what has happened in subsequent seasons.