Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jun/Jul Issue in the house!
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actually, there are 6 different Cardsmiths promos (2 different for Street Fighter Series 1; 2 different for Killer Klowns from Outer Space and 2 different for Bob Ross). They are shown at the bottom of page 2.

Four of the fifteen Historic Autographs "review/preview" promos are also shown.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Oh, sorry. Does anyone know what the 5 promos are ?

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Jess

Looking in top right I can see what looks like to me D1 rather than P1 which I did not see before.

For me the Marvel stuff was just 'filler' as was the Star trek article, however I did read the Historic Autographs article which was of interest which waned when I looked at the manufacturers website and discovered their prices and insertion odds. Although Flight is quoted as having a 70 card base the website states that cards numbered higher than 40 are short printed but not mentioned in the article. In addition the flight checklist on the website had a different card number for the Blue Angels card i.e. 29 for the review/preview card but #50 in the checklist.

For me there is too much "card value" emphasis in the magazine these days but as NSU is owned by a company where card valuation is their business it is no surprise.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
John,

Yeah, that's bad news. Making the base set even harder to complete is probably not a great selling strategy.

I can see how the "P" can look like a "D" but the "1" also looks like a "7." It's unlikely the card is numbered "D7" so I'll stay with "P1."

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Jess

Looking in top right I can see what looks like to me D1 rather than P1 which I did not see before.

For me the Marvel stuff was just 'filler' as was the Star trek article, however I did read the Historic Autographs article which was of interest which waned when I looked at the manufacturers website and discovered their prices and insertion odds. Although Flight is quoted as having a 70 card base the website states that cards numbered higher than 40 are short printed but not mentioned in the article. In addition the flight checklist on the website had a different card number for the Blue Angels card i.e. 29 for the review/preview card but #50 in the checklist.

For me there is too much "card value" emphasis in the magazine these days but as NSU is owned by a company where card valuation is their business it is no surprise.

regards

John

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
My issue of the magazine arrived this morning, my cards were almost identical to "Hammer's" except my Blue Angels card was #29 being the same image used in the article on page 34.

regards

John

John mine was actually 29 - don't know why I put 26

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I got some bad news today. I stopped by a local sports card shop to buy some supplies. Over the magazine rack, there's a sign that says the store will no longer be carrying Beckett-published magazines after this month. The price guides had been selling for years and the store added NSU during the pandemic but sales have slipped across the titles enough that the store will be putting other stuff to sell in the space. While I can still buy NSU at Barnes & Noble it was nice to have a back-up.

Speaking of B&N, the chain has dumped its longtime membership plan in favor of a more expensive one. You used to have to pay $25 per year to get 10% off whatever you bought but now they want $40. As I understand it, you can still join a free version of the membership but it's more like those plans where if you buy 10 sandwiches, you get the 11th for free except that you just get a $5 reward after 10 purchases of $10 or more. It doesn't sound like it works out better for the customer either way.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My LCS told me that he wont be getting the new NSU for another 2 or 3 weeks. Can someone please do me a huge favor and post a checklist of the 15 Historic Auto preview cards so that I can start to look for them ? I don't want to miss out. Thanks

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
David,

I think Harris maybe the best person for listing the 15 cards however I am willing to start one as follows:-

Note that the index page from NSU states that the 15 cards will be from Flight, The Mob, Civil War and 1918: End of the Great War and possibly others from previously released series

so far we have
#unknown Dummy Hoy Civil War
#14a Belle Boyd Civil War
#278 Winston Churchill Gilded Age
unnumbered Nikola Tesla Gilded Age
# unknown Girl in Lace Gilded Age
#50 Claude Monet Gilded Age
#25 Amelia Earhart Flight
#29 Blue Angels Flight
#189 Germany signs the Armistice 1918, End of the Great War
#326 Babe Ruth meets General Jack Pershing 1918, End of the Great War
(the last two cards are featured in the NSU index and have not been previously noted as seen)
#14 Mark Twain
#14 Al Capone
#117 John Sullivan (boxer)

with additions from Tommy C, Beckettbible, Harris and Heroes for Hire I make the current total 13.

regards

John

updated on 6th July following Tommy C's request

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JOHN LEVITT,

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On the Historic Autos, my friend has seen these 5, as he described them:

Gilded Age: Tesla
Gilded Age: Girl in Lace
1918: Babe Ruth
1918: Armistice
Civil War: Belle Boyd

I thought that I saw a Mark Twain one, as well

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Tommy C

Many thanks I have added your contribution to the list.

regards

John

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You can add to the list of promos/previews a Dummy Hoy (Civil War) card

Someone bought one on ebay for $ 35.00. Wow ! It is rare ? Back says 1 of 500

eBay item number:304960975314

Apparently he was a professional baseball player from 1888 to 1902, so maybe some sports enthusiast grabbed it

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tommy C,

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Mark Twain preview card has number # 14 on the front corner

posted Hide Post
Has anyone mentioned Al Capone yet for the HA promos? I pulled one when I got my copy from the warehouse today. It is also apparently 1/500.

Posts: 274 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: June 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Belle Boyd preview card is 14A

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Regarding Al Capone, back in 2016 HA did a promo set exclusive to the National (NSCC) show, which I think consisted of 5 cards. The cards depicted gangsters Lucky Luciano, Bugsy Siegel, and others.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I bought an extra copy figuring I'd be getting different cards but I got the same unnumbered "Gilded Age" review/preview with Nikola Tesla on the front (1 out of 15 shot) and the same Killer Klowns from Outer Space BP-4 (1 out of 6 diiferent Cardsmiths). What are the odds?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
In the past I have also had promos duplicated in buying multiple NSU issues when I wanted to find other versions. But I think it was just with 3 or 4 different cards, not a range of 15. That's really bad luck. Now I buy in different places if I want to try getting other promos or just let it go and look for sellers.

I doubt that NSU is terribly concerned with ensuring perfect distribution by subscriber/store of their free give aways, but it is true that some readers consider the promos to be one of the main reasons to buy the magazine.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
David,

I think Harris maybe the best person for listing the 15 cards however I am willing to start one as follows:-

Note that the index page from NSU states that the 15 cards will be from Flight, The Mob, Civil War and 1918: End of the Great War and possibly others from previously released series

so far we have
#unknown Dummy Hoy Civil War
#14a Belle Boyd Civil War
#278 Winston Churchill Gilded Age
unnumbered Nikola Tesla Gilded Age
# unknown Girl in Lace Gilded Age
# unknown Amelia Earhart Flight
#29 Blue Angels Flight
#189 Germany signs the Armistice 1918, End of the Great War
#326 Babe Ruth meets General Jack Pershing 1918, End of the Great War
(the last two cards are featured in the NSU index and have not been previously noted as seen)
#14 Mark Twain
#unknown Al Capone possibly?

with Tommy C's and beckettbible contributions we now have 10 or 11

regards

John

updated to include updates

John: I don't know them all either. We received a few images of these. I just checked and all of those have been mentioned here. The Amelia Earhart card has the number #25 on it.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:

John: I don't know them all either. We received a few images of these. I just checked and all of those have been mentioned here. The Amelia Earhart card has the number #25 on it.

Harris

Many thanks for you input and its a pity we still cannot comply with David's request. Would anyone at the printer's have a list assuming that the cards would have been placed in the envelopes by them before being bagged and labelled or is that a needle in a haystack type scenario?

regards

John

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:

Harris

Many thanks for you input and its a pity we still cannot comply with David's request. Would anyone at the printer's have a list assuming that the cards would have been placed in the envelopes by them before being bagged and labelled or is that a needle in a haystack type scenario?

regards

John

No, unfortunately, I would doubt that.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Harris

Many thanks

John