Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aug/Sep Issue Goes Live
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
Latest issue,with Outlander on cover came today. 1 promo, also from Outlander.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Got the issue today. Yah, I'm back on the list. Big Grin Outlander promo P7.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
Mine arrived today with Promo P8.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stevetrek:
Mine arrived today with Promo P8.

As did mine with same promo.

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
Nine pages of the price guide is dedicated to Star Wars cards? Doesn't that seem somewhat excessive? Trimming that down would free up space for sets that were omitted.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Well 10 of the 53 sets I tracked the release of last year were Star Wars.

So if the focus is on new sets, I can see that ratio being about right.

New sets take up a LOT more space the way they are constructed these days.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A bit contraversial but as Beckett already publish price guides why not delete them altogether and replace with more articles on cards with perhaps a little more emphasis on the older card issues.

Personally speaking I ceased looking at the current price guide ever since Beckett changed its content as it does not provide the information I want to know.

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Now that there is an annual Almanac that I hope is not just being copied, but is accurately reviewed and revised as appropriate, I really don't see the need for such a comprehensive price guide in NSU. Yes, 9 pages of Star Wars is excessive.

My opinion was different a few years ago, but three things have changed.

First, a current year Non-Sport Almanac is now available for each of the last few years.

Second, despite losing many good card makers, the number of new sets released monthly from at least the 5 major manufacturers has not really slowed down, even in this miserable 2020. The constant stream of new sets makes keeping the space for everything already listed impossible.

And finally, I'm sorry, but you still can't read the font in the NSU price guide comfortably. I know this has been discussed and Beckett is aware of it, so maybe there will be adjustments eventually. However unless they add pages, which I doubt they will do, you have to throw out titles/sets to make space if you want a readable price guide. If you can't read it, you may as well omit it entirely, but its a necessary tool for new releases and hot items.

I don't think it should just be old sets that are edited out. It should be sets with little current sales activity and if there is still good demand it should stay. If there are significant prices changes, up or down, it should stay. If its going to be exactly the same values as what's already priced in the Almanac, it doesn't need to be repeated in NSU. All new sets of major titles should be covered for at least one year, probably two years.

That would be my suggestions.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I Got the P5 in my issue and an email reminding me that I need to renew despite my subscription running to May 2021!!!

I no longer read the price guide as it is not relevant to my needs.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just got the exact same email today. I sent back a reply that I renewed in April 2020 and am good till August 2021.

I'm sure I won't get a response, or maybe even have anyone read it, but if these are blanket subscription offers Beckett should halt it because it confuses people who are nowhere near their expiration dates. Twak

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi John,

From what I've seen of how Beckett is running NSU, I think they like the idea of having a price guide with mostly newer cards and any older ones that are jumping around in value. It has become impossible to have a comprehensive guide stapled to each issue. It also doesn't appear that Beckett wants to expand the magazine. Forty pages of content and ads may be the sweet spot for a glossy-paged publication that is bagged with promos and retails at $5.99 USD.

I would like to see more articles especially about 70's to 90's sets with more about oddball smaller sets. NSU could also honor its own past revisiting articles/subjects from its first 10 years in publishing. I realize when one company buys another one there is a tendency to want to focus on the future and keep the past in a box marked "Legacy" but the trading card hobby is constantly looking forward to the next release while also opening that box and flipping through the pages of an old binder to relive a fond memory of opening something new back then.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
A bit contraversial but as Beckett already publish price guides why not delete them altogether and replace with more articles on cards with perhaps a little more emphasis on the older card issues.

Personally speaking I ceased looking at the current price guide ever since Beckett changed its content as it does not provide the information I want to know.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Raven,

I think the Almanac is being accurately reviewed and revised in the time allowed but it can always use more input from collectors. It is getting better every year. A couple of editions ago, I noticed the description of the "Dactyls" set (small factory set from 1992). It was clear whoever wrote it had never seen the set. The 2019 edition did not just copy the description and hope nobody noticed. With that said, I don't think one person can check price check/edit every single listing, fill in some older stuff not in previous editions and add another year's worth of listings in 12 months. The 2019 edition is the size of a medium-sized phone book and this year's is probably a little bigger. It is certainly at least a little more comprehensive and therefore a little more useful to everyone.

Yeah, if it was impossible to staple a comprehensive price guide to the magazine ten years ago, then its even more of a fantasy now. However, I have to disagree that 9 pages of Star Wars is excessive. If there are nine pages worth of actively-selling Star Wars cards, then there should be that many. That in itself is information a dealer and collector can use.

Beckett's other publications use tiny print so it appears the NSU price guide and the Almanac will be no different. I hear you, though. I can't make out any of the listings in Beckett's sports guides in bookstore lighting without some kind of magnification. How much smaller can they print? What's an exponent look like for the current type size?

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Now that there is an annual Almanac that I hope is not just being copied, but is accurately reviewed and revised as appropriate, I really don't see the need for such a comprehensive price guide in NSU. Yes, 9 pages of Star Wars is excessive.

My opinion was different a few years ago, but three things have changed.

First, a current year Non-Sport Almanac is now available for each of the last few years.

Second, despite losing many good card makers, the number of new sets released monthly from at least the 5 major manufacturers has not really slowed down, even in this miserable 2020. The constant stream of new sets makes keeping the space for everything already listed impossible.

And finally, I'm sorry, but you still can't read the font in the NSU price guide comfortably. I know this has been discussed and Beckett is aware of it, so maybe there will be adjustments eventually. However unless they add pages, which I doubt they will do, you have to throw out titles/sets to make space if you want a readable price guide. If you can't read it, you may as well omit it entirely, but its a necessary tool for new releases and hot items.

I don't think it should just be old sets that are edited out. It should be sets with little current sales activity and if there is still good demand it should stay. If there are significant prices changes, up or down, it should stay. If its going to be exactly the same values as what's already priced in the Almanac, it doesn't need to be repeated in NSU. All new sets of major titles should be covered for at least one year, probably two years.

That would be my suggestions.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've also not checked the price guide in some time. Not a knock on the magazine because it's awesome, but by the time the new issue drops all of the relevant information is already well known to anyone collecting the new sets. With the internet at our fingertips that's just the nature of any periodical.

I do like seeing the small Top Sales section each issue. Would an expansion of that be a good substitute for the price guide? Sales are happening all the time, from old sets to new. Expand the list to 100, including pics, and you'll have a good representation of many non-sports sets. And you know it will change with every new issue. So you'll still be getting a good analysis of cards that should appeal to vintage or current set collectors.

If there needs to be some kind of guide, I think a list of new promo cards updated each issue would be most welcome. And don't limit it to Topps, Cryptozoic, etc. releases. Include artist promos (not a plug, I swear! Big Grin), Kickstarter, Indiegogo, convention giveaways... basically any and all things from the promos included with the current issue to the most obscure cards to be found. There are always new promo cards, and they offer a great window into sets on the horizon.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Regarding the Game of Thrones Season 8 cards, why does the price list look the same as what was published in the last June/July 2020 edition?

Pricing on the Valyrian Steel autographs are still mainly left blank and there is no mention of the many inscription autograph cards in Season 8, which were also omitted from the previous issue. I get that some activity may have been too light the last time, but sales should have been enough to update in this issue. Now it will take another two months to see NSU prices on really the main attraction of inscribed autograph cards.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
They were probably too busy wrapping up the Non-Sport Almanac.
Now I’m curious about those Valyrian Steel autographs, maybe some people can post some prices here to give us some info until they are included in a future issue.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Regarding the Game of Thrones Season 8 cards, why does the price list look the same as what was published in the last June/July 2020 edition?

Pricing on the Valyrian Steel autographs are still mainly left blank and there is no mention of the many inscription autograph cards in Season 8, which were also omitted from the previous issue. I get that some activity may have been too light the last time, but sales should have been enough to update in this issue. Now it will take another two months to see NSU prices on really the main attraction of inscribed autograph cards.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So with the Hot List being modified to include:

Top 5 Products
Tops 5 Autographs
Top 10 Sketches or Sketch Artists
Top 15 Key Sales

Is there still going to be a rotating topic like this month’s “Top 10 Music Superstar Autographs” on the Hot List, too?

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ryan Cracknell’s Top 10 Topps Allen & Gunter Non-Sport Autographs was good stuff Thumb Up

Enjoyed the pivot with the “Old & Noteworthy” feature Metal

Was wondering about the upcoming changes to the price guide cutoff point. Would that be 2 to 3 years of products? Also, would older sets make an appearance to coincide with theme of the magazine cover and/or Hot Lists?

Picture of Curler
posted Hide Post
Outlander promo P9 was in my issue.

Posts: 381 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I went to a local Barnes & Noble today. It still had some magazines from April so I was surprised to see the latest NSU available.

I also liked the "Old and Noteworthy" pages though both of the "old" sets featured were from less than ten years ago. Did some teenagers get promoted at Beckett?

Jess

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

I also liked the "Old and Noteworthy" pages though both of the "old" sets featured were from less than ten years ago. Did some teenagers get promoted at Beckett?

Jess

Heh heh! ""Those sets are ancient, brah!"

Where's someone from NSU to talk to these comments? And why no promo card info?

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post