Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Aug/Sept NSU
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
I get that promos are a key component to the magazine, but they're kind of like the toy that comes with a Happy Meal. If that's all you're buying it for, you're missing out on other stuff.

I like getting the promos as much as the next person, but unless it's a set I have real interest in they just end up in a box with all my other promos and instantly forgotten. They're a nice bonus, but I buy the magazine for the magazine, and I'd still buy it if it didn't include them.

Thanks for saying this Ted. I wanted to say something like that in my post too but didn't come up with anything as on point. I appreciate you saying so.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Thank you Harris, for posting what you did. I was a bit disturbed by all the anti-Beckett sentiment here.
Like many of you, I was concerned when Beckett took over the magazine, but they have carried on the legacy of the Tosers by putting out a first class publication, look at the quality paper they use now, few of the other Beckett magazines are done this way.

As to the promos, Harris said it best, they are not guaranteed, and we may see issues in the future with no promos. The multiple promos, such as in this issue, are not a Beckett plot to get us to buy more magazines, this began long ago and many of us have enjoyed the chase of finding the other promos.

This magazine is the last of it's kind, years ago there were at least 4 card magazines and all had promos in them. Let's keep it going as long as we can.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Harris,

Thanks for explanation. I think longtime collectors have noticed fewer promos being given out over the past few years when compared to just about any time in the 1990's to mid-2000's. Let's face it, the economy still hasn't recovered sufficiently to allow the average consumer to get back into buying the kinds of collectibles he was picking up regularly before 2008. That person might have been laid off or had to take on a second job. He might have even sold a few items to help with expenses.

In the card world collectors are also noticing that a couple of manufacturers have cut back (or stopped making cards) and seem to be dormant as they review their options and try to last long enough for the next surge in the economy that sparks more people opening their wallets again for things they don't need. On the other hand if some companies have stopped printing promos because not enough people interested in the promos bought the finished product, maybe those companies should do some honest self-scouting. Collectors will buy a reasonably-priced (or even rather expensive) quality product, but when the initial breakdowns of a hobby box report a low yield of quality hits (one bit player autograph and a patch) and not even one complete base set, who's to blame there?

What you did not address is the problem of the home page and the magazine itself stating that promo cards (plural) were enclosed when there is in fact only one card inside. Whether it was a typo, miscommunication, or missed deadline, it's too late to fix for the magazines printed and sent to subscribers and stores but it should be addressed on the home page. To be honest I didn't notice that it was "cards" instead of "card" but others did. Some on the forum were clearly disappointed and I can imagine so were an unknown number of people who purchased a copy out of curiosity.

Given that promo availability may become even more tricky in the future, maybe Beckett should consider having its own promos printed up to ensure that at least one card accompanies each issue. The card could honor some series of the past (something like that Philly promo that had Mars Attacks on the front). It would be an extra expense for the company in a time when it appears to be taking a long hard look at cutting costs but it would be seen by the NSU readership as another sign that it is committed to the spirit of non-sports and staying true to NSU's longstanding mission to publish a valued non-sports magazine.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
I'm seeing a lot of misinformation here and on Facebook so I thought I'd post a few things.

First of all, Beckett should not be blamed for the lower number of promos inside NSU. I am the person who does the soliciting for promo cards each issue. I have done so since we first put promos in NSU back in '93 or '94 and continue to do so now.

Promo cards are tougher to come by these days for a variety of reasons. Some companies are not doing them or doing a lot less then before. Sometimes NSU's print schedule does not work well with a certain product's release date. Sometimes manufacturers feel that their expense in printing promo cards is not being justified or that not enough of the people interested in the promo cards are buying the product itself. Some manufacturers are not doing so well financially. There can be a host of reasons. But nothing has changed in this regard from the "Toser-era" to the "Beckett-era", only that it's tougher for the magazine to secure promo cards right now. But we continue to solicit all the manufacturers -- same as was done before.

Regarding Beckett "forcing" collectors to purchase more copies of the magazine....again, this is not Beckett's fault. We work with the card manufacturers and if they want to do two different cards, or four different cards, we are simply not going to tell them "no". Some like to show off different designs from the upcoming series via these promos and personally, I love seeing that. But on the flip side, I can definitely see where a completest does not like it. Again, though, this is not on Beckett, and not us trying to get multiple cards to drive you crazy (or broke).

Having said all this, I can say that we do have some cool promos coming up. As of now, there are a couple of really good ones planned for the upcoming Oct/Nov issue including a Star Trek: Beyond promo card from Rittenhouse Archives. We're still working on the issue so perhaps they'll be even more.

Thanks.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Happy Meal food is not often a quality alternative to the average turkey sandwich (although the kid's meal at some places does offer that as an option) so many people get the Happy Meal only when the toy is desirable. There have been exclusive cards in a few of the Arby's and McDonald's kids meals over the years.

I'm not sure you understand how much some people like promos. Those collectors don't just dump them in a box and forget them. They put them in sleeves and top loaders or binders just like you would with your favorite base set and its chase cards. I'm still in the process of organizing mine but have a pretty good idea of what's there.

I do agree with you that the magazine is worth buying on its own. I've been buying it, though not continuously, since 1995 and even bought a back issue without its cards in order to read a particular article. By that time NSU was including promos with each issue. That practice is part of how the magazine self-identifies. Just read "What is NSU" on the home page and you will see that it states, "Each issue comes poly-bagged with sample promotional trading cards." That's why you see a few CardTalk members express their disappointment. On one hand they're very happy Beckett is continuing the run of the magazine; on the other they fear that Beckett will change it too much.

Jess

Jess

quote:
I get that promos are a key component to the magazine, but they're kind of like the toy that comes with a Happy Meal. If that's all you're buying it for, you're missing out on other stuff.

I like getting the promos as much as the next person, but unless it's a set I have real interest in they just end up in a box with all my other promos and instantly forgotten. They're a nice bonus, but I buy the magazine for the magazine, and I'd still buy it if it didn't include them.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Report This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jess

It's a magazine it has articles it's not promo card bi-monthly some of you people only care about yourself it's a damn shame not what this hobby used to be about

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Report This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
NSU was published for quite a few years without any promos but I'm sure most of the negative Nancy's did not even collect cards back then.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "some of you people only care about yourself" but it sounds impolite. From what I've read in this thread and elsewhere, different members have different reasons to buy the magazine. That's okay. Just keep buying it.

quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
quote:
Jess

It's a magazine it has articles it's not promo card bi-monthly some of you people only care about yourself it's a damn shame not what this hobby used to be about

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
NSU was first published in 1990. By the end of 1992 it started inserting promos.

I don't think the real Batman would use the term "negative Nancy."

The first cards I collected were 1972 Kellogg's 3D baseball cards (first one was Lou Brock). The first packs I recall buying (10 cent packs) were 1973 Topps baseball but a friend gave me some from the year before and I had some 1972 Topps football but don't remember buying packs of those. I bought some basketball by then too. The first non-sport cards I bought were Star Wars red series.

quote:
NSU was published for quite a few years without any promos but I'm sure most of the negative Nancy's did not even collect cards back then.

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Actually I could see the Adam West Batman saying "negative Nancy".

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Report This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It wasn't Adam West, he has an ironclad alibi. Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Happy Meal food is not often a quality alternative to the average turkey sandwich (although the kid's meal at some places does offer that as an option) so many people get the Happy Meal only when the toy is desirable. There have been exclusive cards in a few of the Arby's and McDonald's kids meals over the years.

I'm not sure you understand how much some people like promos. Those collectors don't just dump them in a box and forget them. They put them in sleeves and top loaders or binders just like you would with your favorite base set and its chase cards. I'm still in the process of organizing mine but have a pretty good idea of what's there.

I totally get the collector mentality over promos, and I'm by no means downplaying their added value to the magazine, but they're just that - added value.

A Happy Meal was the best comparison I could think of, or even a prize in a box of cereal (which you rarely see any more). It's all marketing to get you to purchase the main item. But the main item should be able to stand on its own. I wouldn't stop buying or think any less of Fruity Pebbles because they discontinued the freebies.

I also know people who will only attend sporting events where there's a giveaway - hat, bobble head, etc. While it's a cool bonus, I'm there for a game!

Kudos to the companies that keep the promo dream alive, I wish there were more. But like anything else it's just added cost to them. And let's face it, with our high speed digital instant-notification world the consumers they're reaching are already going to know about the sets the promos are "promoting" via other means. So they really end up being freebies the card companies are giving away that aren't really driving more business. Years ago that might've been the case, but I doubt it is any more.

For myself, I enjoy giving out the promos I make when I do shows. It's fun! But it does come at a cost, and for manufacturers it's a cost that's easily cut, unfortunately.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Report This Post

Picture of aeolus14ummbra
posted Hide Post
quote:

I guess we all have to assume that when you say "...people only care about..." themselves you're actually referring to yourself Batman - is that correct?

Seriously, why is it that anytime someone has a different opinion on this forum, pompous card snobs like yourself have to come out of the woodwork and act like you're the only ones that can have a say about anything having to do with card collecting. I pay as much for my issue of NSU as you do, so I feel that simple fact by itself gives me (or anyone else for that matter) the right to voice an opinion. I mean, we're all here to talk about little pieces of cardboard - right? Geez, give me a break...

Just because someone wants to add some promo cards to their personal collection, that somehow implies that they only care about themselves? "...it's a damn shame not what the hobby used to be about..." Really? In what universe does that statement even make any sense? It's a HOBBY! Different people get different things out of it - is that OK with you? I mean, I've only been collecting cards for something like 45 years while putting together a collection of somewhere around 300,000 cards, so I obviously don't meet your high standards as to who can have an opinion. Wow...

Posts: 285 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected. I can hear him say something like "Robin, by not remaining positive in one's life's pursuits, one runs the risk of being seen as a Negative Nancy" (stressing "Negative Nancy" a little slower for emphasis). "Gosh, you're right, Batman."

quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
Actually I could see the Adam West Batman saying "negative Nancy".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, we hardly ever see or hear of cereal premiums anymore. They were a lot of fun when I was a kid (remembering the "Crater Creatures" in Apple Jacks and the Star Wars stickers in General Mills cereals). It was great that General Mills had stickers again for "The Force Awakens." Someone in the company (and at Lucasfilm/Disney) must have still remembered and wanted to do something fun.

Right. We all have to remember that what we get for free at a show is a cost for someone else. It is part of their advertising budget and therefore a tax write-off in part (50% of the expense, I believe), but these days, if a company can cut that corner, it's probably going to do it. I'm glad you still think it's fun to give out promos. The RRP Parks company seems to feel the same way and the trend seems to be that only those that think it's fun are going to continue doing it.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

I totally get the collector mentality over promos, and I'm by no means downplaying their added value to the magazine, but they're just that - added value.

A Happy Meal was the best comparison I could think of, or even a prize in a box of cereal (which you rarely see any more). It's all marketing to get you to purchase the main item. But the main item should be able to stand on its own. I wouldn't stop buying or think any less of Fruity Pebbles because they discontinued the freebies.

I also know people who will only attend sporting events where there's a giveaway - hat, bobble head, etc. While it's a cool bonus, I'm there for a game!

Kudos to the companies that keep the promo dream alive, I wish there were more. But like anything else it's just added cost to them. And let's face it, with our high speed digital instant-notification world the consumers they're reaching are already going to know about the sets the promos are "promoting" via other means. So they really end up being freebies the card companies are giving away that aren't really driving more business. Years ago that might've been the case, but I doubt it is any more.

For myself, I enjoy giving out the promos I make when I do shows. It's fun! But it does come at a cost, and for manufacturers it's a cost that's easily cut, unfortunately.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

some of you people only care about yourself it's a damn shame

OMG!!! I'm off to hide. Big Grin

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Report This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Hey folks I am at every Philly Show supporting the hobby and have been for over 25 years you are entitled to your opinions but so am I go screw yourselfs with your insults but show up at the show we can debate this subject all you want you know where to find me.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

you know where to find me.

yes i know where to find you, be afraid. Big Grin

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You're not supporting the hobby with that coarse language on a public forum where children can see how adults conduct themselves when they disagree.

quote:
Hey folks I am at every Philly Show supporting the hobby and have been for over 25 years you are entitled to your opinions but so am I go screw yourselfs with your insults but show up at the show we can debate this subject all you want you know where to find me.

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Oh stop drama queen there are no children here. Big problem with the hobby but that's another discussion. What about the things you said? Get some clues. I'm not a snob collector but rather an informed one who has been around the block and know selfish people like you will ruin what is already a dying hobby, mainly because of people like you who don't get it. Have a nice weekend!

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Hey guys....I don't think we're getting anywhere here. Nowhere constructive that is. Haven't done this for a while but I'm going to shut this one down.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post