Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Aug/Sept NSU
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
What promo cards are in the new NSU ?

I've heard that RRP Parks has new Mystery Science Theater promos. Is this true ?

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Report This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The info on the home page seems to suggest there are 4 promos in the magazine from RRP.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Report This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just got it in the mail today. The cover says "Exclusive Promo Cards Inside: Mystery Science Theater 3000".

The envelope contained one single promo card from Mystery Science Theater 3000, NSU Promo #4 Night of the Blood Beast.

Can't say if I got shortchanged or not, but it does read promo cards and I got just the one card.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Report This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
There are four different Mystery Science Theater 3000 promo cards in the new Aug/Sep '17 issue. Each copy contains one random card. They are numbered NSU Promo Card 1 through NSU Promo Card 4. These are new and not to be confused with the Mystery Science Theater 3000 promo cards that were included in the Feb/Mar '17 issue.

Below are the card fronts, from 1 through 4.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So there's the answer, one promo each copy. Thanks Harris.

I got the top one pictured, which is NSU Promo #4.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Report This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
So there's the answer, one promo each copy. Thanks Harris.

I got the top one pictured, which is NSU Promo #4.

No problem. My copy contained NSU Promo Card 3.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, I stopped in a sports card shop that carries some non-sport. The Buffy issue had already come in so I bought it. The owner said he got it in the day before.

I got the #3 card - nice movie poster look.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My copy arrived today with promo 4.

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Report This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Having read the home page showing the 4 promos and seeing the front cover of the magazine which said includes exclusive cards i expected to get the 4 cards not 1.

I think this was a bit misleading.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Having read the home page showing the 4 promos and seeing the front cover of the magazine which said includes exclusive cards i expected to get the 4 cards not 1.

I think this was a bit misleading.

Pleural is the new 1 Roll Eyes

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Report This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
So it should say "Exclusive Promo card" not cards

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Report This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
So it should say "Exclusive Promo card" not cards

Yes, to be accurate that's what the cover should have said, but maybe a problem occurred after publication.

If there are only 4 promos for Mystery Science Theatre, it would have been very unlikely that you would have ever gotten more than one of them with NSU. Honestly I wouldn't expect to get more than one.

You do usually get 2 other promos from 2 other different titles. So maybe someone was supposed to provide more promos and didn't do it, but the cover was already printed.

I'm just guessing, but at least the reactions posted answers that survey question about how important promos are to NSU readers. Wink

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm just guessing, but at least the reactions posted answers that survey question about how important promos are to NSU readers. Wink

Getting promos in the NSU is VERY important! I wonder if promos for insertion into NSU are becoming harder to come by?

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Report This Post
Picture of aeolus14ummbra
posted Hide Post
I, for one, am getting quite annoyed by their (Becketts') transparent marketing antics trying to induce people to buy multiple copies of the SAME EXACT MAGAZINE by seeding different versions of promo cards into each issue. This used to happen once, maybe twice a year and now it's happening every issue. I've been reading NSU since Vol 1, Issue 3 and I decided not to renew my subscription a few months ago. Week before last, I decided to give it one more shot. However, I'm now regretting that decision because of exactly this kind of "bait and switch" tactic.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aeolus14ummbra,

Posts: 285 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Seems like there haven't been any Rittenhouse promos in NSU in a long time, just ones by Cryptozoic.

And yes, having to buy multiple copies to get the Outlander and other Cryptos is frustrating

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Report This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I'm seeing a lot of misinformation here and on Facebook so I thought I'd post a few things.

First of all, Beckett should not be blamed for the lower number of promos inside NSU. I am the person who does the soliciting for promo cards each issue. I have done so since we first put promos in NSU back in '93 or '94 and continue to do so now.

Promo cards are tougher to come by these days for a variety of reasons. Some companies are not doing them or doing a lot less then before. Sometimes NSU's print schedule does not work well with a certain product's release date. Sometimes manufacturers feel that their expense in printing promo cards is not being justified or that not enough of the people interested in the promo cards are buying the product itself. Some manufacturers are not doing so well financially. There can be a host of reasons. But nothing has changed in this regard from the "Toser-era" to the "Beckett-era", only that it's tougher for the magazine to secure promo cards right now. But we continue to solicit all the manufacturers -- same as was done before.

Regarding Beckett "forcing" collectors to purchase more copies of the magazine....again, this is not Beckett's fault. We work with the card manufacturers and if they want to do two different cards, or four different cards, we are simply not going to tell them "no". Some like to show off different designs from the upcoming series via these promos and personally, I love seeing that. But on the flip side, I can definitely see where a completest does not like it. Again, though, this is not on Beckett, and not us trying to get multiple cards to drive you crazy (or broke).

Having said all this, I can say that we do have some cool promos coming up. As of now, there are a couple of really good ones planned for the upcoming Oct/Nov issue including a Star Trek: Beyond promo card from Rittenhouse Archives. We're still working on the issue so perhaps they'll be even more.

Thanks.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
See that's called being a victim of your own success Harris. Big Grin

Because you are so good at getting those promos, readers became accustomed to getting multiple free cards and forget that it is not a guarantee when they are not available.

Apart from what you mentioned, I would venture a guess that SDCC also had something to do with the lack of promo offers around this issue date. Some card companies were focused on having promos ready for the Con, when it probably would have been wiser to try to distribute thru NSU.

I mean when you think about, where are you going to reach more real non-sport card buyers and sellers? At a huge show that really is more about entertainment than cards or comics? Or through a magazine that is only read by people interested in non-sport cards? Seems like a no brainer. Wink

Anyway, happy promo hunting for next issue. Smile

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:
I mean when you think about, where are you going to reach more real non-sport card buyers and sellers? At a huge show that really is more about entertainment than cards or comics? Or through a magazine that is only read by people interested in non-sport cards? Seems like a no brainer. Wink

As a collector, I agree with you.

But card companies (and magazine companies) have to expand their markets to get new collectors to buy their products. Where else is a better place to find potential new costumers but at the biggest event for pop culture than the San Diego Comic Con? There are thousands of collectors there that could become fringe card collectors. Then hopefully they'll become regular buyers of other non-sport trading cards.

The card company already have us. They need to find new ways to cultivate new trading card collectors and then reward all of us with cool promos through NSU Thumb Up

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I get that promos are a key component to the magazine, but they're kind of like the toy that comes with a Happy Meal. If that's all you're buying it for, you're missing out on other stuff.

I like getting the promos as much as the next person, but unless it's a set I have real interest in they just end up in a box with all my other promos and instantly forgotten. They're a nice bonus, but I buy the magazine for the magazine, and I'd still buy it if it didn't include them.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Report This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
The card company already have us. They need to find new ways to cultivate new trading card collectors and then reward all of us with cool promos through NSU Thumb Up

Absolutely, the hobby needs to find new blood and get the kids involved with cards again, even it's sports cards. However there are obstacles to growth and reasons why we look like we are sometimes going in the wrong direction. Some recent ideas are doing more harm than good. That is a conversation for a different thread.

But as for card companies throwing big promotions or promos exclusively at the Cons, I don't believe that pays off. The people there are coming for an event. They are playing dress up, they are looking for celebrities. They may take freebie cards, but they will throw them away or are looking to sell to afterwards. They are not being converted to card collectors.

As one solid example I give you the Orphan Black premium packs only available at SDCC. Limited product, 3 autographs, at a reasonable price. It was a good bargain even if you didn't collect the title. I would have bought at least one if I was there. The limited supply did not sell out, CZE went online to sell them afterwards. So how many non-sport card collectors do you think were there? Not enough for this promotion evidently.

Card companies have to go where they find like minded collectors to give away promos. A sports card show would be better than a Con, at least those people already collect cards. Its not a big jump from sports cards to non-sport cards, but it is coming from other hobbies, even if its comics or gaming. Sometimes preaching to the choir will get you a bigger choir.

That's all I'm saying really. NSU should be used to get the word out or it should at least be part of it because you know it will reach the right collectors. Same thing with using small shows for cards only as a platform for promos. Throwing stuff at Cons and hoping you find some random person who cares is not going to grow your bottom line. Just MHO.