Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ads
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
But digital copies, I hate them.

We collect paper cards, I want to keep a paper NSU. Big Grin

Despite yours and others comments beneath, I think you are in the minority. We are living in the digital age. The iPad is going to change print media like the iPod changed audio media. Personally, I can't store all the paper of every magazine I want to read. In fact, I hold off on subscribing to my favorites just because I don't want the paper taking room until I can read them...

There's something neat about getting the latest issue of your magazine on your iPad when you check in the morning. (I don't have one, but I can see it being cool)

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nicnac:
(I don't have one, but I can see it being cool)

See, I think that's the thing right there. No one I know who enjoys magazines is actually reading magazines on an iPad (or any of the other tablets).

I agree with you that it is coming. But I don't think that it's here yet. Maybe when Apple and the others work out all the royalty issues that have been throwing up roadblocks since the iPad was first announced, this wouldn't be the case but I feel (and it's only my opinion) that it's just a bit off.

Does anyone posting here (or reading) read a magazine on an iPad? I'd be interested to hear. I'm not talking about magazine blog sites, I'm talking about so called digital magazines.

I bolded the above bit about blogs as I see blogs as another entity and one that has definitely come into its own.

quote:
Personally, I can't store all the paper of every magazine I want to read. In fact, I hold off on subscribing to my favorites just because I don't want the paper taking room until I can read them...

I'm sorry. And I am not trying to offend you in any way but this is silly to me. Or maybe I have misunderstood you?

Did you also not pick-up your favorite music until you had an MP3 player? Did you wait until 2008 to buy a newspaper that you could read on your Kindle?

OK, I'll shut up now. Sorry for the bit of a rant.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
But digital copies, I hate them.

We collect paper cards, I want to keep a paper NSU. Big Grin

Despite yours and others comments beneath, I think you are in the minority. We are living in the digital age. The iPad is going to change print media like the iPod changed audio media.

I think identifying the minority all depends on what group you're sampling. Wink

If you are a card collector, or autograph collector, or sketch collector, some people might say that your whole hobby is behind the times. Why bother to spend money collecting cards when we can all look at their pictures on our iPads? Big Grin

OK I'm being funny, but card collectors do have a collecting mentality. They want to own things. Their prized possessions are stuff that a lot of other people would consider junk. In that group I don't think a preferrence for real books and real magazines that can be kept and read again is the minority opinion, not yet anyway. Smile

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
It would be a VERY sad day if the magazine went digital - I can see the price guide going "on-line" but would hate to see the magazine go that way Shake Head

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammer,

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR2D2
posted Hide Post
I personally think it'll be great to NSU go digital, I do not tend to even read the price guide all that often and I have a pile of old read NSU's I do not know what to do with. Send the promos separatly and I'd be happy.

I'd be great to see a back catalogue of issues online at the very least so we have an archive for future reference.

My two cents Wink

Posts: 318 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
but card collectors do have a collecting mentality. They want to own things

True for some but not all. I am a card collector. But I don't collect magazines even if they are about cards.

quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
I'm sorry. And I am not trying to offend you in any way but this is silly to me. Or maybe I have misunderstood you?

Did you also not pick-up your favorite music until you had an MP3 player? Did you wait until 2008 to buy a newspaper that you could read on your Kindle?

No offense at all. I bought music on CDs well into the MP3 age. Now, I look at all those CDs and seriously can't be bothered to rip them (except one at a time when I really want to listen to something).

To explain, right now, I have not renewed my subscription to PC Gamer even though I love the magazine. The reason: I have several back issues that I haven't gotten around to reading. They take up space. All told, between the wife and I, we get so busy, and end up with 20+ magazines sitting around laying unread for months. So, right now, we have allowed the subscriptions to end with little plans to renew in the near future.

I have a question for that mythical iPad owner who also subscribes to a digital magazine. Are you allowed to move the magazines off the iPad and store them forever on your computer?

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
To explain, right now, I have not renewed my subscription to PC Gamer even though I love the magazine. The reason: I have several back issues that I haven't gotten around to reading. They take up space. All told, between the wife and I, we get so busy, and end up with 20+ magazines sitting around laying unread for months. So, right now, we have allowed the subscriptions to end with little plans to renew in the near future.

Interesting that you should think digital magazines might solve your time problems because I have found exactly the opposite to be true.

I have a few work related newsletters and magazines that would come to me on a monthly basis. I would put some off, but eventually I got around to reading all of them. In the past year or so some of them have gone digital and I just get a reminder to go to a website. I scan the topics and usually delete the email. I have other things in front of me and I can't be bothered. Those magazines I still get I read.

If you have time problems, digital copies just make it easier to forget about them. Wink

But we are way off topic now. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting that you should think digital magazines might solve your time problems because I have found exactly the opposite to be true.

Not at all. Digital issues would solve the SPACE issue. I would rather accumulate 3 or 4 (or more) months of digital issues that take up no physical room, than paper which sits around. Right now, my brain is pointing to the living room and to the magazine rack where the pile of mags is sitting gathering dust.

NSU Publisher
Picture of Roxanne
posted Hide Post
So the only one answering my question about "have you written to the three manufacturers?" is BILLZEE. Thanks very much Bill but what about the rest of you? We made it easy by including e-mail addresses but, of course, if you don't get the magazine, you don't have the original "Notes" column or the e-mails.

Posts: 56 | Location: Harrisburg, PA | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of anthonyd
posted Hide Post
Roaxanne:

To answer your original query, I personally have not (as of this post) emailed the mfrs. you mention in your article,simply because I have yet to receive my issue. Have any others been this delayed? I will email privately if it doesn't arrive by Sat.

May I throw out some ideas?

I don't have an iPad or other tablet, but if the cost is not prohibitve (both in converting and royalty-wise) it might be worth givng iPad, Kindle and e-nook a shot (in addition to the current paper format). If you can try it for an issue or two, starting with the next Volume (Year) see how it goes. [Important note: there is a free Kindle reader for PCs - you do NOT need the Kindle device to download and read Kindle stuff on your PC.]

Also, I assume the magazine is "laid out" electronically these days - if so, it shouldn't be too hard to convert that to PDF format - this will allow an exact duplicate of the printed copy to be made. These PDFs could be sent to subscribers (ie, those who want a digital format). PDF format is easily transported around.

I agree with the price guide suggestions - if it helps at all, reduce the guide to semi-annual releases, say June and Jan.

Finally - has there been any effort or overtures to non non-sport advertisers - such as Coca Cola, Pepsi, etc? McDonald's? Major League Baseball or Football? How about a sports card manufacturer? I know that would be heresy to some but if survival is on the line, I don't see what harm it could do (we did survive the "scantily clad Asian beauties" fiasco of a few years back. Speaking of which - how about a centerfold - they do it in England. Smile

Just my .02!

And just to speed things up:

THANK YOU ALL CURRENT AND FUTURE NSU ADVERTISERS!!

Posts: 802 | Location: MA | Registered: March 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Hello Roxanne,

I have emailed the companies asking them simply why they do not advertise and expaining my reason for asking.

TTFN

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by anthonyd:

Speaking of which - how about a centerfold - they do it in England. Smile

Permission to speak sir, i'd like to volunteer to be the first NSU centrefold, ah i can see it now, double page spread, wolfie centrefold complete with carefully placed promo cards. The copies would just fly off the shelves. If that doesn't get some advertisers in nothing will. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by anthonyd:

Speaking of which - how about a centerfold - they do it in England. Smile

Permission to speak sir, i'd like to volunteer to be the first NSU centrefold, ah i can see it now, double page spread, wolfie centrefold complete with carefully placed promo cards Smileand Staples Big Grin. The copies would just fly off the shelves. If that doesn't get some advertisers in nothing will. Big Grin

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Publisher
Picture of Roxanne
posted Hide Post
anthonyd
Sorry you haven't received your issue. Please let us know. I thought, surely, you must live in England--not New England.

Thanks for giving so much thought to our plight. We are exploring putting the magazine on kindles, etc.

We would love to have advertisers like Coke, Pepsi, etc. but they would probably laugh at us because we do not have a large subscription base and/or circulation. We have tried to get advertisers with products related to some of the card sets but that doesn't seem to work either.

One thing we haven't explored is a centerfold with Wolfie as the image. What a great idea--sure to add subscribers and advertisers!

Thanks to william 291077 for e-mailing the companies. Hope you get a response.

Roxanne

Posts: 56 | Location: Harrisburg, PA | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hcbrewer
posted Hide Post
Roxanne
received my magazine this week and read it - love the discussion on premium packs

you gave us e-mail address for the 3 companies but they are just generic e-mails that will most likely just be deleted - if forwarded at all

do you have specific e-mails for those that would do the purchasing/etc
if you don't feel like posting them here because it might be an integrity issue
if you PM'd me, I will not tell them how I got thier e-mail addresses

I am composing a letter to send out to the generic address as well

Posts: 438 | Location: Toronto | Registered: August 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Publisher
Picture of Roxanne
posted Hide Post
These were the best e-mail addresses I could find without targeting specific people. I was hoping if enough e-mails were sent, someone would pay attention.

Roxanne

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Szym
posted Hide Post
Like some others, I have sent emails.
Still no answer, but I wasn't expecting to get one.
Hope this will help NSU a bit.

Posts: 878 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roxanne:

We would love to have advertisers like Coke, Pepsi, etc. but they would probably laugh at us because we do not have a large subscription base and/or circulation.

If the right person sees it, I think it's worth a shot. With the size of said companies, advertising in NSU might seem like pocket change to them, so they may go for it. Heck, what about places like the host hotels for the cons, theme parks... granted, they may only advertise seasonally or when it really makes sense to (like around the time of said con), but every little bit helps!

Maybe outside the box is the best place to be looking for new prospects.

Great thinking, anthonyd!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hcbrewer
posted Hide Post
being new to getting this magazine
and not seen much of how advertizes

I was thinking more on the lines of TV stations like Scify and others that carry the shows for the cards we collect - maybe even the movie houses for upcoming movies
just my thoughts

Posts: 438 | Location: Toronto | Registered: August 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I emailed UD a pleasant message last night and received an automatic acknowledgement saying that the research team would review my question and respond accordingly, or words to that effect. If I get a human reply I'll let you know.

As to the other manufacturers specifically mentioned, I'm not buying cards made by either of them right now. The one because I avoid boxes that might contain redemption cards. The other because I don't know if, or when, it even released a non-sport product. Talk about needing advertising. Big Grin

Anyway I think this thread and the collector responses has provoked a lot of thought on the subject and will hopefully cause some manufacturers to re-examine their ad policies. Smile