Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NSU Cameos on The Simpsons Special
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
If all goes according to plan, the Oct/Nov '00 issue of Non-Sport Update will make a cameo appearance on this Sunday's The Simpsons: 20th Anniversary Special: In 3-D! On Ice!. This was our 10th Anniversary cover and shows Bart jumping over a stack of NSU covers. The special examines the "cultural phenomenon" of The Simpsons. It airs this Sunday (1/10) on Fox at 8:30 and is directed by Morgan Spurlock.

Wikipedia has a pretty good page describing the show:

Wikipedia - The Simpsons 20th Anniversary Special - In 3-D! On Ice!

Let's hope this television appearance is longer then the Encyclopedia of Non-Sports & Entertainment Trading Cards made in that Numb3rs episode a couple of years ago!

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking they are going to show a bunch of magazine covers (perhaps spinning towards the viewer or something) and we'll be one of those magazines. So it's liable to be all of about 1 second (or maybe a fraction thereof) but still cool anyway.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Way to go Harris! First Gene Simmons and now the Simpsons!

Don't forget us little people when you finally make your big break!

Will you still have time to go to dinner with me at Con or will all your days be taken up with the big movie stars? Big Grin Razz Smile

Posts: 806 | Location: san diego | Registered: December 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
I thought that Miss Natalie - WAS - a Hollywood star. She has the nicest smile from the pics from the Comic Con and whenever you have your own cards........ Autograph some for us less fortunate. (And 1 for "Wolfie"). Big Grin Eek P.S. I will be taping the Simpsons !!!!!!!

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Wow, I will "hoot" at the TV with unbridled joy if that shot is in the special for even a second!

It's a grand thing if you consider that 13 million people will see a copy of NSU all at once, should the Anniversary Special draw the same TV audience that the most recent Treehouse of Horror did. It should get that number and perhaps more, having been well advertised.

Then consider all of the various downloads and streams that image will be a part of, culminating perhaps in its inclusion in one of those Simpsons DVD boxed sets, which have been produced in the millions.

But this well deserved publicity for NSU from The Simpsons is only fair, really. The last 20 years have brought numerous Simpsons card sets and NSU has covered them all*, in that way helping to advertise the Simpsons TV Show.

*(Well, maybe the very first Topps set, were you publishing then?)

Anyhoo, fingers crossed, and congrats!

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much to both of you, NL and chesspieceface.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will you still have time to go to dinner with me at Con or will all your days be taken up with the big movie stars?

Will Graham and I still be invited? Big Grin

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
quote:
Will you still have time to go to dinner with me at Con or will all your days be taken up with the big movie stars?

Will Graham and I still be invited? Big Grin

Sure, if you elevate your status and leave Headless (Call Me) Goofman home. Big Grin

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Be sure to get a picture of the "freeze-frame" and post here Clap

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Don't forget everyone that this airs tomorrow night. Will NSU make the special? I sure hope so!

By the way, I see there's Football on FOX at 4:30. For those of you setting your DVR's, you might want to pad it generously in case the game runs long. The 60-minute Simpsons special is supposed to start at 8:30 but if the game runs long....

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And maybe the editor will have to fill time with selected images from the articles. After all, that issue was a groundbreaking event in the whole history of non-sports cards.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Just saw it, congratulations to everyone at NSU!!! Thumb Up

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Apparently you didn't blink. Well done.

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Freeze framed it!

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
The NSU cover zipped by in a mili-second, but I saw it!
The whole show was pretty funny and entertaining.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
The NSU cover zipped by in a mili-second, but I saw it!

You're not kidding! Here are a couple of quickie screen caps

At least we were in good company with Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone, Radio Times, and Wizard.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
Hey Hey!

Good stuff Smile

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
I actually saw it too! Usually that stuff flys by so fast, I miss it. Not this time.

Great job getting the exposure no matter how brief that it was. It definately was better than the Numbers appearance of NSU.... Smile

Mike.

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post