Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NYCC 22 Review
 Login/Join

NSU Editor-in-Chief
Picture of A_Biegel
posted
Missed this year's New York Comic Con? Read my review at https://www.beckett.com/news/author/alanbiegel/

~Alan

Posts: 189 | Location: Bayonne, NJ USA | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report, looks like a lot of fun to be had. Thumb Up

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I really wish Topps would put forth the effort to exhibit at the Philly show - that Adam Bomb fortune teller machine would be awesome!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Great review, looks like a great show

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
Very nice! I really wish Topps would put forth the effort to exhibit at the Philly show - that Adam Bomb fortune teller machine would be awesome!

Topps would do well to exhibit at Philly since I had sooooooo many people ask for GPK over the weekend.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane:
quote:

Topps would do well to exhibit at Philly since I had sooooooo many people ask for GPK over the weekend.

It's baffling. Both Scranton and NYC (where they have offices) are literally 2 hours away. They can put forth the effort to do shows all over the country, not to mention drive a truck from one ocean to the other... it would require almost zero effort to bring that stuff to the Philly show. They don't want to pay 2 employees to work a weekend at a show where people will go nuts for their products? I don't get it.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I doubt Topps could hold a booth for less than $10k. Do you think doing so would yield more than $10k in profits that they wouldn't otherwise get? Everyone who attends already is aware of Topps -- it would be "preaching to the choir", so to speak.

Posts: 2200 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I know everyone keeps saying Topps here, but really the old Topps card division doesn't exist anymore. Not that the old Topps might not have been absent either, perhaps they would have been, but no one can say. The name is still on the masthead, but it's Fanatics in charge now, and how committed they are to non-sport products is anybody's guess.

Maybe they don't believe they need to do as much at shows to promote their cards, if the cards are selling out anyway. Heck, if the cards are selling through in Dutch auctions or whatever, they don't need to do anything.

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I know everyone keeps saying Topps here, but really the old Topps card division doesn't exist anymore. Not that the old Topps might not have been absent either, perhaps they would have been, but no one can say. The name is still on the masthead, but it's Fanatics in charge now, and how committed they are to non-sport products is anybody's guess.

Maybe they don't believe they need to do as much at shows to promote their cards, if the cards are selling out anyway. Heck, if the cards are selling through in Dutch auctions or whatever, they don't need to do anything.

They haven't been at a Philly show since long before the Fanatics acquisition.

To Bill's point above - everything they would set up at Philly is already done (save for the few dollars it would cost to have some new promos to give out). There's no way they would incur $10k in expenses to set up a few things at the Philly show. The Adam Bomb fortune teller machine was probably in an office or warehouse last weekend when it should've been put to good use at the show. With the crush of GPK collectors there, that would've been huge.

Also, there were other shows going on over the weekend at the Oaks Convention Center. They could've brought that truck there that they drive all over the country and attracted even more attention than just the Philly Show attendees.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's no way they would incur $10k in expenses to set up a few things at the Philly show.

I came up with $10k by rectal extraction, but let's run some number:

Figure a smallish booth, not the sort of big thing that would happen at Comicon or some place. Smaller than this. A display case of product, banners, a couple tables and chairs.

You'd need at least two people. I don't know what Topps pays the sort of folks who run trade show booths, but I wouldn't be surprised by a loaded (salaries + benefits) rate of $100k per year. Assume a 50 week work year, that's 250 days. One person-day of labor is $400. Send two people, that's $800 a day. Just getting to and from the booth means setup Thurs, travel Fri, show Sat + Sun, travel Mon, tear down Tues. 6 x $800 is $4800 labor, assuming no weekend overtime.

Travel expenses: We'll use GSA rates for Philly as a proxy for commercial costs. Hotels are $200 per night per room, plus another $80 for per diem. 3 travel days x 2 persons x $280 = $1680.

Travel: A van plus gas for the weekend is $500 minimum.

Booth equipment (tables, chairs, displays, cases, carpet, lights) -- $1000 rental easy.

Someone's got to coordinate this -- book the booth, book rooms, rent van, rent equipment, cut checks, file travel vouchers on return, pack & unpack equipment booth equipment. Figure one more day's labor -- $400

So we're up to $8380. We haven't allowed for the cost of any product to give away. We haven't designed and printed a custom promo for the show. We haven't brought any guests, like artists. We haven't even paid for the booth. This is just the minimum to show up.

It is not cheap for a company to display at a trade show.

Posts: 2200 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
There's no way they would incur $10k in expenses to set up a few things at the Philly show.

Figure a smallish booth, not the sort of big thing that would happen at Comicon or some place. Smaller than this. A display case of product, banners, a couple tables and chairs.

You'd need at least two people. I don't know what Topps pays the sort of folks who run trade show booths, but I wouldn't be surprised by a loaded (salaries + benefits) rate of $100k per year. Assume a 50 week work year, that's 250 days. One person-day of labor is $400. Send two people, that's $800 a day. Just getting to and from the booth means setup Thurs, travel Fri, show Sat + Sun, travel Mon, tear down Tues. 6 x $800 is $4800 labor, assuming no weekend overtime.

Travel expenses: We'll use GSA rates for Philly as a proxy for commercial costs. Hotels are $200 per night per room, plus another $80 for per diem. 3 travel days x 2 persons x $280 = $1680.

Booth equipment (tables, chairs, displays, cases, carpet, lights) -- $1000 rental easy.

Someone's got to coordinate this -- book the booth, book rooms, rent van, rent equipment, cut checks, file travel vouchers on return, pack & unpack equipment booth equipment. Figure one more day's labor -- $400

So we're up to $8380. We haven't allowed for the cost of any product to give away. We haven't designed and printed a custom promo for the show. We haven't brought any guests, like artists. We haven't even paid for the booth. This is just the minimum to show up.

I think you're shooting for the stars, here. This does not need to be a massive comic-con setup. In past Philly shows they've had a table, put out some displays, had some signage behind the table and that was about it. They don't need to go whole hog here, just show up!

I don't know what it costs for a table for a manufacturer, but Topps would probably want 2. Load up the stuff into a small van, send 2 employees with the van, give them off Monday and Tuesday since they're working Saturday and Sunday... this is not a huge expense.

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:

I think you're shooting for the stars, here. This does not need to be a massive comic-con setup. In past Philly shows they've had a table, put out some displays, had some signage behind the table and that was about it. They don't need to go whole hog here, just show up!

I don't know what it costs for a table for a manufacturer, but Topps would probably want 2. Load up the stuff into a small van, send 2 employees with the van, give them off Monday and Tuesday since they're working Saturday and Sunday... this is not a huge expense.

You are right Ted. That is how they have set up previously and it's nothing too elaborate. This is how Cryptozoic, Rittenhouse, and SideKick set up. I mean a San Diego or NYCC booth would be awesome but it is not expected at this point.

I remember years ago (maybe 15 years ago), we (NSU) would take our stand up display and you might see a few others with them - I kind of remember Bench Warmer having one as well as Sports Time (remember them?) and one or two others but no one has these anymore.

Their expenses would likely be pretty small. They'd have to pay the employee(s), give-aways, possibly some shipping, and that's about it. They could probably even give the off during the week to make up for their time on the weekend.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
> This does not need to be a massive comic-con setup.

And I didn't describe a massive set up -- "Figure a smallish booth . . . A display case of product, banners, a couple tables and chairs."

> Load up the stuff into a small van, send 2 employees with the van,

You are describing just what I costed out.

> give them off Monday and Tuesday since they're working Saturday and Sunday

Topps still has to pay for their time, whether it's on duty, or paid time off.

I've had to budget for personnel to go on trips in my day job. It is not cheap, and all the things I mentioned have to be paid for one way or another.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't think Topps would print special promos for every show. They cut back on promos in general at least ten years ago It's an extra expense on top of the travel cost and the show cost even if they are just sending "two guys in a van." It seems the company realized years ago that people going to the Philly show were already buying their products. They want go to a Comic-Con to let a wider segment of the collector population, potential customers, know what they have face-to-face. They'll go all-out for that.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I don't think Topps would print special promos for every show. They cut back on promos in general at least ten years ago It's an extra expense on top of the travel cost and the show cost even if they are just sending "two guys in a van." It seems the company realized years ago that people going to the Philly show were already buying their products. They want go to a Comic-Con to let a wider segment of the collector population, potential customers, know what they have face-to-face. They'll go all-out for that.

For them to tack on a few thousand cards to an existing run would incur little to no additional expense. They already do cards for the show, what's one more to have at their table? Plus they send door prizes.

They have a massive presence at The National convention, where every single person walking in already knows Topps. Something like Comic-Con is definitely beneficial to reaching a new audience. All I'm asking is that they SHOW UP here! When a company like Cryptozoic can send someone across the country to set up, there is ZERO reason why Topps can't do the same when it's practically in their backyard.

And back to Bill's points, I think you're still overestimating, but I don't want to argue that any more. I have also planned out trade show setups for my day job. Setting up at the Philly show doesn't have to blow any budgets.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't know for sure why Topps doesn't set up at the Philly show. It seems like a no-brainer for a trading card company to do that one but I have set up at trade shows for two different companies in two different fields. It is often a necessary pain for a company unless it's looking for ways to cut back on expenses. A lot of companies in tech have stopped doing trade shows. COVID didn't help. There are signs the trade show thing might be coming back but when a company can sell just as well with a website visible on a cell phone they aren't going to want to pay for things that seem minor like signage costs, travel costs, and show costs even if the venue is just two hours away.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

For them to tack on a few thousand cards to an existing run would incur little to no additional expense. They already do cards for the show, what's one more to have at their table? Plus they send door prizes.

They have a massive presence at The National convention, where every single person walking in already knows Topps. Something like Comic-Con is definitely beneficial to reaching a new audience. All I'm asking is that they SHOW UP here! When a company like Cryptozoic can send someone across the country to set up, there is ZERO reason why Topps can't do the same when it's practically in their backyard.

And back to Bill's points, I think you're still overestimating, but I don't want to argue that any more. I have also planned out trade show setups for my day job. Setting up at the Philly show doesn't have to blow any budgets.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post