Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    London Film & Comic Con, 28-30 July 2017
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

London Film & Comic Con, 28-30 July 2017
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
With a month to go, the drop-outs so far are...
Ron Pearlman
D. B. Woodside
Colin Baker
Shazad Latif
Linda Blair
Kirstie Alley
Rick Gonzalez

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
wow, that's a lot. Does the con list who they've invited rather than who has accepted?

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tangent:
wow, that's a lot. Does the con list who they've invited rather than who has accepted?

I get the feeling the con lists 100 people and works on the assumption that 50 will turn up on the day.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
At least they notified people well in advance. There is a big uproar going on at the moment about a convention next weekend that just announced all the big names had pulled out leaving just bit part players.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
At least they notified people well in advance. There is a big uproar going on at the moment about a convention next weekend that just announced all the big names had pulled out leaving just bit part players.

What convention is this? I've googled with no success at finding out what you're referencing.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:

What convention is this? I've googled with no success at finding out what you're referencing.

Insurgence 9 ( Vampire Diaries ) run by Rogue Events. Take a look at their Facebook page if you want to see all the grisly details although I will warn you some of the comments include swearing.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Just had a look at their page and they, like so many other show organisers, don't get why people go. If I put on a show that was headlined "Vampire Diaries", but there was no guests, it would be just a show. It's pure arrogance to say people only go because of the atmosphere.

"I know you all spent a lot of money. While the convention is for the show, and therefore for the theme, and NOT the lead guests, I appreciate and apologise for your disappointment".

It's not just the show. People book days off work and pay for transport, hotels etc. At the very least, entry should be refunded. Can you imagine going to the cinema, seeing the trailers, and then being told the main feature hadn't arrived, but there's no refund because they actually showed something, supplied a seat and gave you the ambience of the theatre.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not really, if you have paid for a train ticket and paid for a hotel you are out of pocket.

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Just had a look at their page and they, like so many other show organisers, don't get why people go. If I put on a show that was headlined "Vampire Diaries", but there was no guests, it would be just a show. It's pure arrogance to say people only go because of the atmosphere.

"I know you all spent a lot of money. While the convention is for the show, and therefore for the theme, and NOT the lead guests, I appreciate and apologise for your disappointment".

It's not just the show. People book days off work and pay for transport, hotels etc. At the very least, entry should be refunded. Can you imagine going to the cinema, seeing the trailers, and then being told the main feature hadn't arrived, but there's no refund because they actually showed something, supplied a seat and gave you the ambience of the theatre.

Shocking - if it is only the "Theme" people go for why advertise any stars attending? Just say there is a Film and Comic Theme show that may have star guests. I still reckon half the names they advertised haven't agreed to come in the first place!

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Potato Head
posted Hide Post
Benedict Cumberbatch added (Auto £85)

Posts: 751 | Location: UK | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:

Shocking - if it is only the "Theme" people go for why advertise any stars attending? Just say there is a Film and Comic Theme show that may have star guests. I still reckon half the names they advertised haven't agreed to come in the first place!

Apparently looking a facebook things did not go well at the Insurgence 9 convention over the weekend in Blackpool( big shock there Roll Eyes ) . The highlight of a programme riddled with problems was a fight in one of the autograph queues that two of the guests tried to break up before the police arrived. In the melee one of the other guests was attacked Eek . Takes guest participation to a whole new level Shake Head .

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
With a month to go, the drop-outs so far are...
Ron Pearlman
D. B. Woodside
Colin Baker
Shazad Latif
Linda Blair
Kirstie Alley
Rick Gonzalez

...and the list gets bigger with these no-shows...
Robert Hardy
Indira Varma
Aimee Garcia

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
3 more dropped out yesterday which gives a total (so far) of 23 no-shows. The biggest is Jack O'Hallorhan. There was a group photoshoot planned with all three villains from Superman 2, and as such, was a premium price. It was a big thing because it's vary rare to get Terence Stamp to a con. Now the organisers are saying that there would be no refund because it was sold as:

"This is for a photo session for one person with Superman Guests* at London Film & Comic Con on Saturday 29th July 2017. *exact guests will be confirmed by the organiser closer to the event"

You would think that 2 days before the event was a little too close, and there would be refunds. Nope. It's all looking a bit shoddy now Shake Head

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's all looking a bit shoddy now Shake Head

There is a reason these things are called Con's.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Potato Head
posted Hide Post
Attended LFCC today. I don’t think I’ve attended for at least a year may be two. The move to Olympia seemed to be a good move. Arrived at 8:45am with the doors due to open at 9am. There was quite a long but I was inside just after 9am (previous LFCC I remember queuing for ages and moving very slowly to get in). Nice spacious venue. I was only after two guest autographs due to the drop outs, Tricia Helfer and Michael Madsen. I went got my virtual queue tickets as they both were not at their tables (which was no surprise). This gave me time to have a wander around the stalls. Two big halls ranging from t-shirts, comics, Funko Pops, cakes, fudge and a few card sellers. What I recommend is to have a look around as there were some bargains, but there were quite a few items that were overpriced. I was after a Ricky & Morty t-shire, one stall quoted me £28 each or two for £50! I found an official one for £8 a couple if aisles away. I picked up some well-priced comics but again some quote me £120 for a comic that I thought was worth a tenner. No cards purchased, but I’ve kind of dipped out of the card collecting at the moment.

I then went up to the get my autographs. The Michael Madsen queue was tickets 1-50 and I had number 57, but the young lady let me join the queue as it wasn’t that busy. Mr Madsen was very polite and chatty with everyone. I then went and joined the small queue for Tricia Helfer, again very polite and cheerful (and very stunning! Luv You ). Both autos obtained before 11am

There were four comic guests I wanted to sign some comics. All had allocated slots throughout the day but all had tables and all were willing to sign. This area was not very busy. I then had another mooch around the stalls.

A pleasant day and I could do everything I wanted to do. I appreciate it was the Friday, but it was advertised as the “busiest Friday ever” and a lot of the major guest were not in attendance today.

Have fun anyone going over the weekend.

Posts: 751 | Location: UK | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
I only found two card dealers - Derek and Umbrella. Were there others?

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Potato Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
I only found two card dealers - Derek and Umbrella. Were there others?

Saw Umbrella. Was Derek the chaps by the stairs with a large selection (they also attend the London Comic Mart - sorry I don't know their names).

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's Derek and his brother, Ash.