Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Comic-Con 2011 News
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comic-Con 2011 News
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
Tattoox:

You might go back and read the posts again. Rittenhouse did not say different cards would be given out on different days. Also, you asked "which booth is his?" The posts tell you where you can get each card including their booth numbers. And Wee Bee is a her Smile

Maybe you can print out the list for your friend or point him/her to either of the posts. Here are the link again:

Rittenhouse Archives Announces 11 Exclusive Promos for Comic-Con International

Rittenhouse Archives: Comic-Con International: San Diego

Already shared the booth info.
A dealer first said something about a different promo each day; like last year.
One dealer said this, "The Marvel card is for one day." So I need to confirm which day or will they be available from day one while supplies last.
And in my defense, the other posts came in between our posts.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Harris, since we're on the subject of Marvel Universe 2011, will NSU have a promo in an upcoming issue, or was that cancelled entirely?
Thanks

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Just about every dealer gave them out for free last year, I recall on one day a dealer was asking for a $5 purchase or something of that nature, but that was the exception. It should be fairly easy to acquire these, although I agree that the Marvel booth could be a challenge, as they often have no idea what they are when you ask, and then they just end up putting the whole supply out on a random occasion and they are gone in 10 minutes. I will check early on preview night in hopes of avoiding this. My feeling is that if they were too easy to get, there's no challenge or fun in it, I like a little adversity, just not too much! In the end, these shoud not be too hard to find. Heck, I have to try to put together 5 sets for everyone on my list! Better to have 9 cards to chase than none, at any rate!

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
Just about every dealer gave them out for free last year, I recall on one day a dealer was asking for a $5 purchase or something of that nature, but that was the exception. It should be fairly easy to acquire these, although I agree that the Marvel booth could be a challenge, as they often have no idea what they are when you ask, and then they just end up putting the whole supply out on a random occasion and they are gone in 10 minutes. I will check early on preview night in hopes of avoiding this. My feeling is that if they were too easy to get, there's no challenge or fun in it, I like a little adversity, just not too much! In the end, these shoud not be too hard to find. Heck, I have to try to put together 5 sets for everyone on my list! Better to have 9 cards to chase than none, at any rate!

Thanks Batman. I'll take your word on this, and not bother contacting the dealers. RA sent me cards to give away at ECCC this year. I handed out most of them personally. I hate it when promos are gone in a few minutes, because someone wants to just sell them on ebay. And yes, 9 to chase is better than none, that's for sure.

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I spotted the story below on Bleeding Cool:

Crossed Infects San Diego With Trading Cards, Ashcans And Exclusives

The story says "the first set of Crossed trading cards (72 cards, 1000 sets with art from Jacen Burrows, Matt Martin, Michael Dipascale and Paul Duffield) that will only be sold at conventions for $20 – with a free promotional card for San Diego, and seven Crossed prints based on classic American art by Jacen Burrows for $10 each, limited to just 250 copies."

I don't follow comics so much myself so I am not too familiar with Avatar or these artists but it looks interesting. And it looks like the only way to get the promo might be at Comic-Con, so fans of Avatar, Crossed, or the artists might want to check it out.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Endless World's website states that their booth is #729, but I think that's an error. Harris' info and SDCC states #629. And they state FREE PROMOS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I tried to contact everyone carrying the Marvel promo cards. One site I couldn't find a website. Another, the emails didn't go through. Didn't bother with Marvel. From the 5 that went out, 3 have answered. And they all require a purchase. So I think that's 4 requiring purchase, 3 free, and two unknown at this time.

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Just a small note. As someone who has owned/worked in a comic book shop. Crossed is a very adult comic in it's depiction of graphic violence and sex. It is not for anyone under 18. Avatar is a noted publisher of "gore" comics. While the write Warren Ellis is top rate, I want to prepare anyone who is going out to buy these if they do not know anything about this series.

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
StitchKingdom is reporting that there will be Rick Riordan's "Olympian Week" cards available at the Disney Publishing Booth (booth #1016).

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I tried to contact everyone carrying the Marvel promo cards. One site I couldn't find a website. Another, the emails didn't go through. Didn't bother with Marvel. From the 5 that went out, 3 have answered. And they all require a purchase. So I think that's 4 requiring purchase, 3 free, and two unknown at this time.

I think it depends. If the dealer knows you, they probably will give you the promo for free, it's good business. I always try to do some business with each dealer, but I know if a dealer I have brought from before hits me up for a purchase before I get the promo, it would not sit well with me. Some of the dealers are regular dealers at Philly, or know collectors from other shows around the country. At any rate, I'm not fretting over it. Smile

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
If you have to buy something in order to get a "free" promo card, you might as well buy the promo card off of eBay.

It would seem like the locations of the promo cards would be seen simply as an enducement to get people to stop by the various booths. Why not just cut to the chase and sell the promo card then?

True. . . and while I totally agree with you, this does prevent random people just grabbing a stack of 'em to flip on eBay.

I guess the question is -- are they trying to promote the individual places selling cards, or cards in general. . . Clearly this is a good strategy for promoting the places selling, but not so great to promote the hobby in general.

Jon

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
Last year all the card dealers at Comic Con gave me a free Rittenhouse promo - some of them recognized me each day I returned and gave me a promo before I had the chance to ask for it! Some days I made a purchase and some days I didn't.

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I've taken all of the bits and pieces from things I've posted on the forum, others have posted, other info I've found online, and the previous blog posts and have come up with the list of booths trading card collectors should visit:

Comic-Con Roundup

I've also included links to a few sites those trading card collectors unable to attend should visit.

I did this pretty quickly so if anyone finds errors, please send me an email and I will update it. Thanks.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tattoox:
Endless World's website states that their booth is #729, but I think that's an error. Harris' info and SDCC states #629. And they state FREE PROMOS!!!!!!!!!!!!

One more that say Free!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:
If you have to buy something in order to get a "free" promo card, you might as well buy the promo card off of eBay.

It would seem like the locations of the promo cards would be seen simply as an enducement to get people to stop by the various booths. Why not just cut to the chase and sell the promo card then?

True. . . and while I totally agree with you, this does prevent random people just grabbing a stack of 'em to flip on eBay.

I guess the question is -- are they trying to promote the individual places selling cards, or cards in general. . . Clearly this is a good strategy for promoting the places selling, but not so great to promote the hobby in general.

Jon

Well said.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
quote:

I think it depends. If the dealer knows you, they probably will give you the promo for free, it's good business. I always try to do some business with each dealer, but I know if a dealer I have brought from before hits me up for a purchase before I get the promo, it would not sit well with me. Some of the dealers are regular dealers at Philly, or know collectors from other shows around the country. At any rate, I'm not fretting over it. Smile

A few of these dealers I've done business with many years ago by mail when trying to fill holes in the older part of my Marvel collection.

Now days I just order boxes for customers, or sets for myself if I like what I broke for them.

Anyway, they wouldn't know my name if my friend(s) drop my name.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly. So I'm thinking it's too much to ask my buddies that said they'll try. It will be in my best interest to buy off of ebay, rather tan having them take their time, and only end up with a partial set. Although, my nieces will love any extras I give them.

Yeah, I'd rather send each of my buddies 10 bucks and buy promos for a dollar. I don't need anything new. So whatever is bought would mostly be a waste of money.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
I've taken all of the bits and pieces from things I've posted on the forum, others have posted, other info I've found online, and the previous blog posts and have come up with the list of booths trading card collectors should visit:

Comic-Con Roundup

I've also included links to a few sites those trading card collectors unable to attend should visit.

I did this pretty quickly so if anyone finds errors, please send me an email and I will update it. Thanks.

Awesome! Thanks Harris.

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot for posting these two posts tonight Kennywood. I have updated my blog list.

The USA Today Pop Candy one reminded me of a series I remember seeing last year (think it was last year). I could have sworn some blog did a similar set with its authors and gave them away during their panel and/or if you spotted the people around the show. I think they may have been a Star Wars related site. It may have been a podcast though rather then a blog. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I was just trying to remember it and even spent some time Google-ing but couldn't find anything.

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I just saw that Cryptozoic posted a note on their wall: We highly recommend you check out The Guild panel this weekend at SDCC!. Since they have the license and they are "highly recommending" collectors go, I wonder if that means there will be promo cards given away? I'm just speculating.

As far as I can tell, they are referring to the panel taking place 4:00 - 5:00 PM on Saturday in the Indigo Ballroom at the Hilton Bayfront.