Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    The National Sports Collectors Convention 2021
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The National Sports Collectors Convention 2021
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted
Is anyone going to the NSCC in Chicago this weekend? I've been debating about whether or not it would be worth going.

I've often seen where non-sport promo cards were available only at this show, but that's no guarantee if and when they might be available. I do see that Beckett, COMC, Historic Autographs, Leaf, Panini, Topps, and Upper Deck will be there. Also, UltraPro will be there, which should be interesting considering the shortage of penny sleeves, top loaders, etc.

Has anyone heard of any show-exclusive promo cards being available at this show?

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not going to The National this year because I no longer live in the area.

I used to go from time to time, but it has been about 5 years.

There were always some entertainment cards to be found, but generally not a lot. This year with the renewed interest in so many older products I wouldn't be surprised if there were more entertainment cards.

I always enjoyed it, quite the spectacle even if there wasn't always a lot to buy.

Pro tip -- you can (or at least could the last time I went) validate parking if you ate at one of the restaurants attached to the parking garage.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I went to the National in Anaheim in '96. I didn't find much at the time but I would check it out. You might find a dealer unloading some interesting and cheap cards. There could be some cool promos that were supposed to be given out last year on top of the ones being given out this year.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
I'm going to go tomorrow for a few hours. As I couldn't afford what they're charging for autographs and pictures, I'll just visit the various booths and Artist Alley. (Brian Kong will be there.)

I didn't remember about last year's show being cancelled, so perhaps there will be some 2020 show exclusive non-sport promo cards available.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
I'm going to go tomorrow for a few hours. As I couldn't afford what they're charging for autographs and pictures, I'll just visit the various booths and Artist Alley. (Brian Kong will be there.)

I didn't remember about last year's show being cancelled, so perhaps there will be some 2020 show exclusive non-sport promo cards available.

I'm pretty sure Cryptozoic is there, wonder what they have available?

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cryptozoic is giving out some promo cards (CZX Crisis on Infinite Earth as well as a few older ones (Outlander, Steven Universe, Rick & Morty)). They also have a CZX Super Heroes & Super Villains Convention Variant autograph card of Antje Traue for sale - it is numbered out of 200.

Posts: 26 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: July 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'll try to give a report either tomorrow night or Sunday.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Nonsports,

How's the family? Are you at the National?

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Nonsports:
Cryptozoic is giving out some promo cards (CZX Crisis on Infinite Earth as well as a few older ones (Outlander, Steven Universe, Rick & Morty)). They also have a CZX Super Heroes & Super Villains Convention Variant autograph card of Antje Traue for sale - it is numbered out of 200.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
Well, for me, the show was pretty much a complete bust. None of the manufactures had any non-sport promo cards. If Cryptozoic was at the show, I never found them. Nor did I find anyone who knew if they were there.

The only positive thing I took from the show was that Ultra Pro was there. Thankfully, I was able to stock up on penny sleeves and 9-card pages.

posted Hide Post
Bummer. Did you bring home any new cards?

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That is a bummer. I thought you were going to pick up some promos. I expected to score that time I went to the National too (might have found just one promo plus some football cards). That's how it goes. You get skunked when you thought you were going to find something and then you find some great cards at a flea market you almost didn't go to.

quote:
Well, for me, the show was pretty much a complete bust. None of the manufactures had any non-sport promo cards. If Cryptozoic was at the show, I never found them. Nor did I find anyone who knew if they were there.

The only positive thing I took from the show was that Ultra Pro was there. Thankfully, I was able to stock up on penny sleeves and 9-card pages.

Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:

Crypto was indeed there. They posted they had some promos (none exclusive that I could tell) and a convention exclusive Crisis CZX autograph card /200 for $50. Apparently they were inside the GTS booth at their own table.

Sounds like you didn't miss much unless you wanted that auto.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't received any email newsletters from Crypto in many months. Did anyone receive anything from them in June or July ?

What was the NSCC exclusive auto ?

I see nothing on ebay at all.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
I haven't received any email newsletters from Crypto in many months. Did anyone receive anything from them in June or July ?

Nonsports mentioned it above - Antje Traue.

Did anyone visit Brian Kong's table? He was posting on social media every day.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:

I stopped paying attention as they really don't seem to have a lot going in the trading card realm right now. It is a bit odd to me that they were at The National, but hopefully it's a good sign of more sets to come.

I checked their site for what they had going on at The National and didn't see anything there. . . Then I checked Twitter -- they did post about The National on Twitter. I stopped following them on Twitter when they stopped really doing much with cards.

At this point I totally ignore their newsletters when I get them.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tommy C:
I haven't received any email newsletters from Crypto in many months. Did anyone receive anything from them in June or July ?QUOTE]

I was getting them, but I can't recall anything from CZE in the last couple of months. Maybe they have nothing new to add, but it was mainly all little figures and odd gaming cards advertised anyway, so nothing I was interested in. Middle Earth seems to not have moved, unless we get some quick release dropped on us some day, but no mention is not a good sign.

On the other hand Leaf can't stop emailing me despite my never having bought anything from them.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post