Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    ReedPOP Purchases MCM Comic Con
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ReedPOP Purchases MCM Comic Con
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Wow....just saw the news that ReedPOP (promoters of NYCC, C2E2, PAX, and many, many others) has purchased MCM (promoters of London Comic Con, Birmingham Comic Con, etc.) for £17.5 million ($23 million).

ReedPOP Acquires UK's Largest Pop Culture Conventions

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
One Con to Rule Them All.

Bring on the pop culture and cosplay.

Now that most of the collectors and dealers have walked away they are welcome to it. At least all pretence of a comic, collector, memorabilia type show has finally ended.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I mentioned this a (non-collector) friend of mine last night and he asked "What do they get for £17.5 million?". I didn't have a good answer for him.

For £17.5 million, they get the show names, of course, and access to the "nearly 300,000 fans in the UK" but what else? MCM doesn't really own anything physical, do they (maybe some signage?). They don't have anything proprietary that I can think of. I guess it's just a heck of lot easier to buy an existing successful line of conventions then build them from scratch.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That might explain the lack of decent guests for the November show Shake Head . Based on who is currently appearing I certainly will not be going , saving my money for the far superior Collectormania show next June.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
I mentioned this a (non-collector) friend of mine last night and he asked "What do they get for £17.5 million?". I didn't have a good answer for him.

For £17.5 million, they get the show names, of course, and access to the "nearly 300,000 fans Roll Eyes in the UK" but what else? MCM doesn't really own anything physical, do they (maybe some signage?). They don't have anything proprietary that I can think of. I guess it's just a heck of lot easier to buy an existing successful line of conventions then build them from scratch.

If you believe what the organisers say, they don't make a profit either Roll Eyes

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

For £17.5 million, they get the show names, of course, and access to the "nearly 300,000 fans in the UK" but what else? MCM doesn't really own anything physical, do they (maybe some signage?). They don't have anything proprietary that I can think of. I guess it's just a heck of lot easier to buy an existing successful line of conventions then build them from scratch.

Not being in that business I too can only guess what might be transferred that could be worth that kind of money if there is nothing physical. My only thought might be along the lines of licenses or vendor contracts or client lists held. Just eliminating other competition is sometimes a good motive. There is a lot of things that goes on behind the scenes in this event business. I know over at Javits, where the NY Comic Con is held, there is always union negotiations to go through for anything. So who knows what comes with the package, but if ReedPop paid it, they must have calculated that they were getting something that would be worth it at some point.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
quote:

For £17.5 million, they get the show names, of course, and access to the "nearly 300,000 fans Roll Eyes in the UK" but what else? MCM doesn't really own anything physical, do they (maybe some signage?). They don't have anything proprietary that I can think of. I guess it's just a heck of lot easier to buy an existing successful line of conventions then build them from scratch.

If you believe what the organisers say, they don't make a profit either Roll Eyes

That is the bit that always puzzles me - the profit element but perhaps the paid themselves a salary that matched any "profit"

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cardcollectors uk
posted Hide Post
300,000 people @ £25.00 per head, per year. Then there's a couple of thousand dealer tables @ £250.00 per year, then extra's.
That's probably £10 million per year.
It's interesting as the dealer chatter is about cutting back and shows not performing like they used to (1990's anyone?) - but these things are cyclical I guess.

Posts: 128 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
I can understand people wanting to dress up as their favourite super-hero, Manga do-dad, or any other object, but to just walk around for a few hours, not buying anything, and paying £20 upwards for the privilege has always puzzled me. As a speculative customer, these hundreds of queue blockers really put me off going to some shows - Excel being the worst - because I hate dodging swords, oversized wings etc. just to get to a vendor.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post