Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SDCC 2017
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
Now that the badge sales are over, is it too early to ask if there will be a Card Talk gathering/dinner at San Diego Comic Con this year?

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There will, indeed! On Saturday evening again. Thumb Up

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Clap

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcole:
There will, indeed! On Saturday evening again. Thumb Up

Like Debi shared, will post here mid May about SDCC Cardtalk dinner. We changed venue but on Saturday again. We will also send pms to the usual suspects or anyone who contacts me.

Surf

NL

Posts: 806 | Location: san diego | Registered: December 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pendragon
posted Hide Post
Save the date 7/22/2017 7:30 pm at Seasons 52. Details coming soon...

Posts: 429 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: January 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
SDCC CARDTALK DINNER 2017

Hi Card Peeps,

Been uber busy but the dinner is on Saturday, July 22 @ 7:30 pm and no Harbor House (sorry Jules lol) but changed to Seasons 52 restaurant.

We hope to see new faces as well as the usual suspects and we're changing up a couple of things.

We know it's about the cards but since it's Con we might add a surprise this year!

Please rsvp here or pm me, Pendragon or Debi Cole so we get a more accurate count for the venue.

Chatting and chewing with y'all is the highlight of Con for me. Looking forward to seeing you all again. Maybe Sir Furry paws might show!

Ciao!

NL

quote:
Originally posted by pendragon:
Save the date 7/22/2017 7:30 pm at Seasons 52. Details coming soon...

Posts: 806 | Location: san diego | Registered: December 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NL:
SDCC CARDTALK DINNER 2017

Maybe Sir Furry paws might show!

Ciao!

NL

I shall as allways be with you in spirit, i hope you all have a wonderful time. Wavey

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will try to make it, I'm not sure how long I can stay. I will need to get some rest that so I can try for the Supernatural signing with my wife Sunday morning.

Posts: 193 | Location: Ca | Registered: June 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'll be there. Looking forward to it.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
As always, I will be jealous from far away. Though I get the feeling that SDCC is becoming much less about collecting and comics etc and much more about launching sci-fiction movies or TV shows.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any reports yet? If any of you ventured through during the sneak peek last night.

Posts: 420 | Location: USA | Registered: October 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like Cryptozoic has at least 9 new promos there, 3 for Outlander and 6 for Bombshells.

The Outlanders are P9, SDCC1 and 2

Bombshells are

P5 – Black Canary
P6 – Katana
P7 – Zatanna (very limited Cosplay cards)
P8 – Elvin Hernandez Stargirl
P9 – Scott Blair Harley Quinn card
P10 – Harley Quinn (The National box break)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David R,

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
So, not content with releasing two sets exclusively at SDCC and ignoring all those that supported the products for the first releases, they're now giving promos to those that dress up (with a good bet most don't know what a trading card is), and something called the National Box Break, whatever that is. Great way to alienate collectors.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
I just realised Topps is at SDCC (which I should have remembered from previous years). if anyone is going to their stand for some other reason and is not a digital card person, could you drop my digital name on their list please (tangentJB)? Thanks

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
We do not sell promo cards. We are selling SDCC1 / SDCC2 as a 2-card Preview set for our Season 2 set which we'll release within weeks.

P9 is the only promo card for Outlander Season 2 that we're (freely) distributing at Comic Con.

P10 will not be distributed at Comic Con. It will be distributed at The National.

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Looks like Cryptozoic has at least 9 new promos there, 3 for Outlander and 6 for Bombshells.

The Outlanders are P9, SDCC1 and 2

Bombshells are

P5 – Black Canary
P6 – Katana
P7 – Zatanna (very limited Cosplay cards)
P8 – Elvin Hernandez Stargirl
P9 – Scott Blair Harley Quinn card
P10 – Harley Quinn (The National box break)

Posts: 69 | Location: CA | Registered: October 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
The Outlander promo is up for $120 Eek Eek I Give up

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mgeo:
We do not sell promo cards. We are selling SDCC1 / SDCC2 as a 2-card Preview set for our Season 2 set which we'll release within weeks.

"a 2-card preview set" - I've heard it all now. Call it a promo and it's free. Call it a preview and you can charge.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There also appears to be a NEW Orphan Black card at SDCC with P2 and B1 written on the back

However, the back doesn't really advertise anything. Not sure what it is supposed to be, a chase card or a promo

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I understand why you guys are disgusted by this greed, it truly does undermine the hobby, but it is also the natural extension of everything that has come before. Exclusive cards have been successful, so a good thing morphs into a bad thing.

Exclusive promos, exclusive cards and various event freebies have been highlights for shows, big and small, for years. It used to be a bigger deal for promo collectors and the subjects were mostly more obscure.

Then we started to get exclusive promos for major titles tied into Cons and Breygent came out with Mystery Packs and other manufacturers joined in and now we have Orphan Black season packs that can only be picked up at the event. Once cards featuring major titles started to be brought out this way, it had to effect the card collectors that followed those titles long term and you knew it would go to far.

So that's where we are now, too far. You can still find these cards of course, you just have to pay the person who has them. If someone wants to pay $120 for an Outlander promo, that's their business, but it just supports the problem.

For those that don't want to see these things continue at this level, my suggestion would be to just not buy the cards until the prices make sense. Demand always controls pricing and if there is no demand the practice will be curtailed by the makers themselves. Other than that, I'm not concerned about it because I know I'm not supporting it.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
How about the craziness with the promos at the recent Star Wars show in Florida ?

A new 4 card promo set by Topps. You had to buy a $ 100 box of SW cards and they gave you 1 promo. So you had to spend $ 400 to get all 4

And to top it off, there were variants on these 4 promos given to volunteers who set up at the show. These are discussed below in the New Promo section

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post