Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    October Chicago Non-Sport Show. . .
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

October Chicago Non-Sport Show. . .
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Just got back from second day of show, had a good time, enjoyed talking and trading with many Card Talkers, xTime, Rod S, Hippiejewel, Stevetrek, WebJon, Igman, Greg Geerts, Scott Thomas, Bill DeFranzo, Venom5Liter, and Lovesmesomecards, hope I'm not forgetting any of you, thought I saw Kennywood for a while too but he must have left early.
We had some surprise guests - Mike Bowman of Barrington Square Cards stopped by, and Allen Caplan of Inkworks.

I have a few pictures, will try to get something on the blog.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hippiejewel
posted Hide Post
Was a great time......And who showed up but Uncle Allen Caplan. Good seeing everyone. And yes Iggy threw something at me.....

Jewel Big Grin

Posts: 2035 | Location: Western Burbs of Chicago | Registered: April 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Had a good time seeing everyone -- as always it's a fun show. . . Really enjoyed the Treasure Chest's silent auction!

Seeing Uncle Allan was awesome, wish I had a chance to speak with him before he left. . .

Wish there were more people through the door. . . While there were a few new faces, which was awesome it seems like the show should bring a lot more people through the door. . . what's it going to take to boost attendance? I can't believe one of the largest metro areas in the country can't support even 100 people through the door on a Saturday. It's a free show, with free parking, and you get a bunch of promos when you walk in the door! It's even relatively centrally located. Post suggestions if you have 'em I'm sure they'd be of interest.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hippiejewel
posted Hide Post
Kevin.

Uncle Allan is moving back to Illinois. That's what he told me.

Jewel Big Grin

Posts: 2035 | Location: Western Burbs of Chicago | Registered: April 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
I had a great time at the show as well. I would like to thank Ed and Kevin for promoting the show and providing a great venue.

At this show I traded cards, bought cards, and was given cards. The best part was meeting a lot of people and renewing old relationships. Here is a list of people that I interacted with: Hippiejewel, RodS, Dead74, Greg Geerts,, Kennywood, Lovesomecards, X-Time, Iggy, Paul, Bill DeFranzo, Uncle Allan, Don Norton, Scott Thomas, and Ron Gahan. It was a great show.

The artist Gabriel Bautista did a fantastic sketch for me. I will try and get some pictures posted.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stevetrek,

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Finally, back home. Worn out to say the least.

No 4-hour traffic jams this trip...only one 45 minute delay this time. At least 4 slow downs due to construction on I-55 going to the show.
The I-355 tollway was an ugly combination of road construction and heavy rain coming home. So, traffic was the one BIG negative.

Now for the good stuff.
Very good show. Great seeing old friends...Don, Jon, Carl, RodS, Greg, Steve, Lovesomecards, Mike, and lots more. Made some new friends as well. Thanks to Ed & Kevin for organizing.

Lots of buying, selling & trading both days. A great selection of cards, packs, boxes and more.

The BBQ gathering went well. Won the Dawn Red Robin promo...quite a surprise!!!

Overall, over 600 base commons, 3 sets, 2 promo sets, 150 parallels, 1 sketch, 11 autos, 4 relics, chase & stix set, 750 packs, and 80 chase cards. A lighter load this time.

Looking forward to spring. Thumb Up

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
The children and I had a good time at the show. Traded some and bought some to fill a few holes in many different sets. Got a cool sketch at the Treasure Chest silent auction. Caught up with the usual suspects and met some new people too. Wavey

I was glad to be able to get together after the show and have the chance to win the Red Robin promos! It was a pleasure to meet with other collectors as I don't know another soul who collects non-sport cards in my area. There is so much I don't know and I always like to learn more. Thanks for sharing your time and knowledge. Thumb Up

I am already looking forward to next year and I will be looking to put more trades together before hand.

Thanks to Ed and Kevin for promoting the show!

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
I hope there's another show next year!

Mark your calendars. Show is scheduled for April 11th and 12th.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Nice to see the reports, glad you all had a good time. Smile

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Don has written a show review for the blog including some photos from the show. You can find that here:

Fall 2013 Chicago Non-Sport Card Show: Old Friends and New Traditions

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
I hope there's another show next year!

Mark your calendars. Show is scheduled for April 11th and 12th.

Ed

It's a Show I would REALLY like to go to

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post