Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    San Diego Comic Con Mystery Packs
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Diego Comic Con Mystery Packs
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:

I'm not sure why 5FINITY and other products wouldn't be considered a premium pack. . . A $25 pack of Archie from 2009 with a print run of nearly 2200 packs containing a single sketch card. . . seems to fit in the definition to me. Are you saying that only sets with base cards can be considered premium packs?

If that's the case then the release that Nar! put out with a few base cards and a sketch is a premium pack, but the couple of dozen sets that 5FINITY put out aren't. . . That doesn't make sense to me. . . If the 5FINITY releases aren't premium packs then what are they?

I think that the present of base cards in a Premium Pack means that there is a bonafide set. However the absence of base cards does not automatically make it a Mystery Pack. Please remember that the only thing I was talking about was Premium Packs and Mystery Packs.

I am unfamilar with 5FINITY releases and Archie in 2009 was probably before the term Premium Pack went into general use, but if these releases have a defined theme and known contents than I would certainly agree with you that they are premium packs. By that I mean, if you know that you are getting one Archie sketch in the pack, that is the product. If you know that 5FINITY has X sketches, that is the product. What you get maybe a 1/1 sketch of varying quality, but you at least know the parameters of what it will be.

The Mystery Pack has no such guarantees, not in the title or the type of hit you may get. That is both the fun and the risk involved.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

I'm not sure why 5FINITY and other products wouldn't be considered a premium pack. . . A $25 pack of Archie from 2009 with a print run of nearly 2200 packs containing a single sketch card. . . seems to fit in the definition to me. Are you saying that only sets with base cards can be considered premium packs?

If that's the case then the release that Nar! put out with a few base cards and a sketch is a premium pack, but the couple of dozen sets that 5FINITY put out aren't. . . That doesn't make sense to me. . . If the 5FINITY releases aren't premium packs then what are they?

I think that the present of base cards in a Premium Pack means that there is a bonafide set. However the absence of base cards does not automatically make it a Mystery Pack. Please remember that the only thing I was talking about was Premium Packs and Mystery Packs.

I am unfamilar with 5FINITY releases and Archie in 2009 was probably before the term Premium Pack went into general use, but if these releases have a defined theme and known contents than I would certainly agree with you that they are premium packs. By that I mean, if you know that you are getting one Archie sketch in the pack, that is the product. If you know that 5FINITY has X sketches, that is the product. What you get maybe a 1/1 sketch of varying quality, but you at least know the parameters of what it will be.

The Mystery Pack has no such guarantees, not in the title or the type of hit you may get. That is both the fun and the risk involved.

Ahh, I see what you are saying. . .

But. . . Breygent's mystery packs do make guarantees -- they set parameters, you'll get 3 hits per pack, and the hits will come from one of a defined list of properties. All of the licenses and potential cards were well defined before the product was released. . . To my 'Mystery Pack' is just the set title, an advertising term, where Premium Pack is the format it is released in. As I said, I think if they called these SDCC packs no one would even be talking about this.

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

To my 'Mystery Pack' is just the set title, an advertising term, where Premium Pack is the format it is released in. As I said, I think if they called these SDCC packs no one would even be talking about this.

Jon

Yeah, I think you're right, but what would we do with our Saturdays then. Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I bet we would still be talking, or at least inside our community here. Two weeks after SDCC, I did a search of the eBay Trading Cards section for active auction titles referring to the Con and 2012. Of 1200 items, 885 had "Breygent" in the title. Only 315 did not, and about 60 of those were Mystery Pack items.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post