Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    NYCC - Who's Going?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NYCC - Who's Going?
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted
The usual (or unusual, as some may see it Big Grin) contingent of Alan, Harris, and myself will be there on Friday, October 14th. Anyone else planning on going on Friday?

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
The usual (or unusual, as some may see it Big Grin) contingent of Alan, Harris, and myself will be there on Friday, October 14th. Anyone else planning on going on Friday?

I think my brother and his wife are going {McCheese8472}?
I'd like to go but I have to save my knee for the NSU Philly show. LOL

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
A poor excuse! Big Grin

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'll be there on Thursday. From 6:30 - 7 I'll be at the Sidekick Lab booth selling (hopefully) my artwork. Should be a lot of fun.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
We'll be there too, both in "official" capacity and for fun. As Batman posted, we'll be walking around all day on Friday (Batman, Alan Biegel, and myself).

Also, like Laura, we will also be a guest at SideKick and Onell Design booth. SideKick has come up with a pretty ingenious idea. With the cooperation of the next booth over (Onell), they will be hosting a number of guests at a special table between the two booths. This gives them the opportunity to sell their stuff and also, attracks others who want to see guests like Nathan Hamill, The Sucklord, Laura, and NSU. I've written a piece about this today on the blog:

Non-Sport Update to be part of NYCC Special Guests at SideKick/Onell Design Booth

If you click on the link, you can see some further details as well as a schedule that is complete as of now (they are still working on it).

Hope to see some familiar faces on Friday at 1:00 at the SideKick and Onell Design booths (booths 576 and 578).

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my wife and I will be there on Saturday. Any word on promos being offered?

Posts: 378 | Location: New Milford, CT | Registered: February 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mccheese8472:

Hate to keep pimping the blog but we've got a story tomorrow about a promo card from SideKick.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
quote:
Originally posted by Mccheese8472:

Hate to keep pimping the blog but we've got a story tomorrow about a promo card from SideKick.

The story about SideKick's free NYCC promos is up now:

Free Sidekick Media Cards to NYCC Attendees

posted Hide Post
quote:

cool I will keep my eyes open for this card. Thanks Harris.

Posts: 378 | Location: New Milford, CT | Registered: February 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I had a great time at the 2011 NYCC. Like last year, Titan ended up being my first stop and I purchased 20 pounds of books that I had to carry around for the next 3 hours. Smile As a result, I didn't take a ton of pictures so hopefully Harris will.
The show itself seems to get bigger every year, this year the Autograph Area is separate from the convention floor/artist alley so I never did see it (although most publishers are having author signings at their convention floor booths). Besides the new layout, there were some new vendors such as Hasbro. Hasbro had several "photo op" areas similar to what they do at SDCC and they had some show exclusives as well.
After my initial purchase I sent over to the Animal Planet booth where they where having a happy hour (free beer!) on Thursday evening to promote their searching for Bigfoot series. The series looks interesting and the beer was good. Smile Next to them was a video game company where you could have your photo taken kicking some type of plane (has to do with a video game, sorry I can't remember the name). They'd print the photo out for you which was pretty cool. The Doctor Who store had a life sized Dalek on display (picture below) and they are going to have the actor who played Winston Churchill signing at their booth during the weekend. Other neat props on the convention floor included the Sesame Street booth where you could have your picture taken with Oscar the Grouch. Grover will also be there at some point during the weekend.
Artist alley also seemed to be much larger than last year and sketch card artists included Brian Kong, Cat Staggs, Renae de Liz, Katie Cook, Penelope Gaylord, Jerry Gaylord, "The Flash", Kristen Allen and Michael Dooney among others.
My final stop for the evening was at the Sidekick booth where they partned with Onell Design to set up a table where different artists will appear during the weekend. The Sucklord will be there each day (I think) and I was there for a half hour on Thursday. When I wasn't talking to customers/fans I had a great time talking to Tom at Sidekick about the new Sucklord trading card series which was just released. One of the neat inserts is a 9 card lenticular puzzle set. Unlike most puzzle card sets, these are actually card shaped puzzle pieces. I thought it was a cool twist on the whole "puzzle card" idea.
Here are a couple of my photos from the show.

Cartoon Network had their booth in the Javits Center lobby. Best thing about it was there were comfy places to sit down. Smile

Also in the lobby, Spidey made form MegaBloks

Full-sized, uncut version of the lenticular puzzle cards from the new Sucklord trading card series (maybe Harris will get a less blurry photo).

Big Avengers display.

Selection of funny hats for Harris to check out (because there must be a goofy hat for the Red Robin gathering at the Philly show)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WandringRebel,

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report!

Were there any card dealers at the show?

Jon

Posts: 5412 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Thanks for the report!

Were there any card dealers at the show?

Jon

I didn't see any but... I think I missed some aisles in the dealers area. I know 258W Authentic was supposed to be set up. In terms of promo cards, I picked up the ones that Sidekick had but that was all I found. If any of the artists had promo cards with them they didn't have them on their table (although I'd say about 25% of the artists weren't set up when I was there).

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Derek Woywood was there, I got a Captain America box from him, and he had over 70 different boxes available, other than that, not much at all, but it was still a fun show. Onward to Allentown!

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Laura, you must have ESP as the hat that we selected is in your photo, from the very same booth! It was a tough chioce, but with input from Alan and Harris we have a winner for next Saturday's gathering! Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Laura

Many thanks for the report and just to let you know Ian McNiece played Winston Churchill in Dr Who.

regards

John

Posts: 2118 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Sorry we missed you Laura. That is really funny about the hats, as Bob pointed out. A lot of your pictures look really familiar! Big Grin

The only other card dealer we saw, other then what Batman point out, was Hills (not sure of their full name), they had mostly gaming but also had some Inkworks releases. We saw miscellaneous cards on some tables like a Garbage Pail Kids box here, some Marvel cards, there, but that was it.

I had a great time but am really tired today from all the walking around. I said to Bob that I didn't think it was all that large of a show but I think it was a good bit larger then I thought, especially since the artists were sort of off in their own area, with another large area of dealers over there too. We never did find some of the celebrities that were supposed to be there like James Marster. Our illustrious editor, Alan Biegel, was on the hunt for some of the celebs. I really think he would have liked to have found Fred Mertz but never found him either. Frown

Bob's working on a write-up for the blog and I will post a few pictures with that and then a lot more pictures on some photo galleries.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry we missed you Laura. That is really funny about the hats, as Bob pointed out. A lot of your pictures look really familiar! Big Grin

The only other card dealer we saw, other then what Batman point out, was Hills (not sure of their full name), they had mostly gaming but also had some Inkworks releases. We saw miscellaneous cards on some tables like a Garbage Pail Kids box here, some Marvel cards, there, but that was it.

I had a great time but am really tired today from all the walking around. I said to Bob that I didn't think it was all that large of a show but I think it was a good bit larger then I thought, especially since the artists were sort of off in their own area, with another large area of dealers over there too. We never did find some of the celebrities that were supposed to be there like James Marster. Our illustrious editor, Alan Biegel, was on the hunt for some of the celebs. I really think he would have liked to have found Fred Mertz but never found him either. Frown

Bob's working on a write-up for the blog and I will post a few pictures with that and then a lot more pictures on some photo galleries.

I can't wait to see the hat you guys picked out. Smile

I think the celebrities were in another part of the convention center (I didn't find them either, although I didn't look too hard). I'm surprised there wasn't signage somewhere to direct people on where to find autographs, especially with all the tweeting NYCC is doing about autographs in general.

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WandringRebel:
especially with all the tweeting NYCC is doing about autographs in general.

I don't know about you but I could not get data service in the Javits center to save my life. I could not get tweets to send or do anything that required data. Phone service was pretty horrid too. Maybe this was AT&T only?

I saw that one company had a Foursquare competition going on but I can only imagine that turned out to be disastrous.

Anyway, if NYCC was tweeting about autographs, they must have been doing it from another location!

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by WandringRebel:
especially with all the tweeting NYCC is doing about autographs in general.

I don't know about you but I could not get data service in the Javits center to save my life. I could not get tweets to send or do anything that required data. Phone service was pretty horrid too. Maybe this was AT&T only?

I saw that one company had a Foursquare competition going on but I can only imagine that turned out to be disastrous.

Anyway, if NYCC was tweeting about autographs, they must have been doing it from another location!

WiFi was spotty. Sometimes I could get the internet other times I couldn't (I tried to tweet the photo of the hats while I was at the show but it didn't work). It made it hard to use the NYCC app. Smile I have seen plenty of tweets from people in the "Cultyard" area and artist alley. I guess it all depends on where you are standing.

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Our first show report (by Batman!) is up on the blog now:

New York Comic Con 2011 Invaded by NSU!