Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Wizard World New Orleans
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wizard World New Orleans
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted
Spent the weekend at the Wizard World New Orleans show. This convention is definitely getting bigger and more crowded. Lots of Captain America fans there, since Chris Evans was a guest. Not as many people dressed up as Deadpool like I normally see. For that matter, there seemed to be less cosplay this year than in prior years, but this could be due to the increased attendance.

I was very surprised to find a dealer who was selling sealed boxes of cards and some inserts from SHIELD (autographs and wardrobe cards). I picked up a box of Firefly The 'Verse and SHIELD Season One at very reasonable prices. The only other dealer I saw with cards was a table selling Pokemon and Yugioh. I was also surprised at the lack of comic dealers at this show. While there were a few in attendance, it seemed that we had more dealers last year. I didn't pick up any books this year, as most of the prices I found were on the higher side, so I decided to pass.

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
One day when I am in New Orleans we need to meet up, Will. Unfortunately I missed out on Wizard World New Orleans this year. I missed out on last year too but made the first two years. It usually is a good show. I had friends that went and said attendance was crazy this year.

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Lots of people made it to New Orleans this year. I think many of them were there because of the guest list, including Chris Evans, Jeremy Renner, and Hayley Atwell. We only went Saturday and Sunday, so I don't know what Friday was like. But, Sunday was much better than Saturday. The crowds were much lighter and way more kids were in attendance the second day. While the show was in the same convention center, it got moved further down the building than in past years. Also, to make things even more interesting, the food court was not open on Saturday. Needless to say, the couple of restaurants within walking distance did a good business this weekend!

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I flew down for this show, mostly because - yes - Jeremy Renner and Chris Evans. I did all my vendor shopping on Friday, since it was pretty quiet and there were only two guests there that day. Bought a box of Agents of SHIELD cards from the dealer you mentioned, since the price was good! Smile

I think my favorite part was all the Star Wars going on. Dealers, cosplay, games, everything. It sort of took over the show, in spite of there being no Star Wars guests. As a lifelong SW fan (and someone who's seen Force Awakens *mumblemumble* times already), it totally made the convention for me. Big Grin

Posts: 608 | Location: MA | Registered: April 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You mentioned a lack of comic dealers at the show. I thought that the Wizard shows that they have been doing all over, the past 20 years, have primarily been dealers selling comics

has this changed so dramatically ?

A comic show with no comics for sale ?

Posts: 4011 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
Convention/show culture over the last few years has been swinging heavily towards media guests and away from the traditional comic related stuff and the dealers area of such shows have been evolving to reflect that.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
There were some dealers there, but it seemed that the numbers were smaller than previous years. Lots of dealers with Popz figures, autographed pictures, etc., but not as many comic dealers as in the past, in my opinion. And, as Obi-Wan noted above, the shift seems to be more to the media/celebrity guests and away from comic stuff.

So, calling it "Comic Con" seems to be a misnomer. Of course, the big show in San Diego every year is Comic Con, and I have no idea how many comic dealers are in attendance. I would guess the answer is--not many.