Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Cryptozoic's Non-Sport Trading Card Event at Comic Con International
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cryptozoic's Non-Sport Trading Card Event at Comic Con International
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Good find Kennywood. That's really cool that they put this up. Would love to see the store after all the stock is filled in and it's ready to open to the public.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Say the store yesterday, very nice. I was told they had only 6 boxes of TWDS1 for sale at the event. Made me feel a little better for missing the invite. NSU members enjoy and let us know whats in your goodie bags!

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Miranda:
Tattoox,
Promo Cards:
The Walking Dead Comic - At the Skybound booth (A foil logo version of this is available in the binder. Card Number: P3
AMC's The Walking Dead - We helped them create a promo card for distribution on their booth. It is more of a promo card for the show, but does mention the trading cards on the back. Card Number: SDCC1
Castle - At the ABC booth. Card Number: P1
Limited copies of P3 will be available at store.

People on Saturday morning will have first chance at product, but will also be limited to how many they can purchase. Any left over after the event will be available to others.

Miranda, it seems like you've left out some important info.

I'm very disappointed with the information I just received from a buddy that is attending SDCC and trying to find promo cards for me.

1st. People at the ABC booth don't have the card. Said they have no idea why people keep asking for the Castle promo.

2nd. One of The Walking Dead promos is only being handed out if you're dressed like a Zombie.

BTW, for those still searching, I'm trying to verify which card that is.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tattoox:
People at the ABC booth don't have the card. Said they have no idea why people keep asking for the Castle promo.

This seems to happen every year now where a promo is supposed to be a booth and one/some of the employees at the booth doesn't know anything about it when collectors ask. They seem to often turn up though.

Hopefully the woman your friend asked will get enough questions to ask others at ABC until she gets to the right person who says "oh yeah, we were supposed to hand these out" and they'll turn up. Might not be until Sunday. Tell your friend to keep asking, Tattoox. Or perhaps they could inquire at the Cryptozoic store and someone there can make inquiries with ABC.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Word is, it's the AMC card that you had to be in costume. Image booth doesn't have a clue either.

It's bad enough asking a buddy that doesn't collect cards to go on a hunt, but to give him false info really sucks for both of us.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paul hart
posted Hide Post
Its true i think at my age dressing
Like a zombie to get a promo is a little
Tough Smile
I did look like one when arrived un la after
A long flight but imigration failed
To give me any cards!

Posts: 353 | Location: uk | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
AMC Booth you have to be dressed up. But I'm guessing come Sunday they'll be easier to get ahold of because there's not a TON of people in zombie costumes really. If not, I'm going to ask a cosplay friend of mine to paint a little blood trickling down my neck and say I just got bit lol

I got the Castle P3 promo by asking about it at the Cryp's store when I was checking the place out.

Tbe Walking Dead promo at the Skybound part of the image booth, you have to ask for it there or there will be a girl handing them out at the corner of the booth to passer by's. If you go to the rest of the image booth they won't have any idea as it's not their part.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cryptozoic trading card event was very DISAPPOINTING - rating on info - B - not so gooody bag - D-, and and having the ability to buy product at retail price - D- - very very sad on what could have been a great idea - would not attend again - the 40 should have been able to purchase at dealer prices - there were no free raffle giveaways except I think a few sketch cards - I am sure others may not agree with me on this event but it is my opinion

Posts: 198 | Location: United States | Registered: December 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sherlock2:
Cryptozoic trading card event was very DISAPPOINTING - rating on info - B - not so gooody bag - D-, and and having the ability to buy product at retail price - D- - very very sad on what could have been a great idea - would not attend again - the 40 should have been able to purchase at dealer prices - there were no free raffle giveaways except I think a few sketch cards - I am sure others may not agree with me on this event but it is my opinion

Wow, little harsh aren't we?

They always said they would have hard-to-find product at their normal price. Their normal price is full retail if you buy off their website. What on earth makes you think they'd offer wholesale prices in a retail store?

Looking at the pictures of their shop, it's much more than trading cards they are focusing on. But lots of games too, which is a big portion of their portfolio.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sherlock2:

Since very few people were actually at the event care to elaborate why you are giving the ratings you are, or what info and swag was given?

It was a free event, right? I think it's cool they had a presence at all. . . then again I wasn't there. . .

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
Um Sherlock did you stay for the whole thing? They raffled off a bunch of costume and autograph cards as well (I won a Walking Dead costume and my friend won a Dean Cain Smallville auto!).

They were very straightforward on answering questions when asked on a 1 to 1 level. There weren't any big annoucements or reveals though but that to me isn't a big deal.

For me, the good bag was really cool! A couple loose packs, a shirt, a cool keychain, the WD SDCC1 promo card which means I don't have to dress as a zombie to get it! LOL

Sure the boxes were all retail prices. But show me someone willing to sell me a Walking Dead Season 1 binder for $30 or a box for $84? Same goes with Big Bang Theory or even now the Walking Dead comic series in most cases. None of the vendors have EVER sold us anything at dealer prices at a breakfast (at least that I know of)

My group had a great time at the breakfast and would go again in a heartbeat!

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
You went to a free event, got some nice items, and all can do is complain? Why do you even have the right to expect anything? Unbelievable, people like you ruin it for the rest of us. Shake Head

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
I feel sorry for the 42nd person that emailed and couldn't get in. They would have probably appreciated it a whole lot more. As far as I'm aware, this was the first set-up of this kind at San Diego. Rejoice should be the only word used for this event.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
If Cryptozoic would like to come to Memorabilia in November i promise that we will be happy just to see you. Wavey

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
If Cryptozoic would like to come to Memorabilia in November i promise that we will be happy just to see you. Wavey

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was one of the ones fortunate enough to attend the VIP party and I loved every minute of it. Free breakfast, one on one conversations with Scott and Miranda, free prizes and gift bags, what else can you ask for.
Do I see any of the other non sport card companies hosting a party or even having a presence at SDCC? No. Cryptozoic even went out of their way to open a store front for us Non sport folks. During the event, I was able to chat with Scott about future products and production runs on items. When I asked him if the amount of sketch cards per artist will be loaded soon, he shot an email right away to the person who handles that. What other companies COO spends early saturday morning out with a bunch of collectors? I dont see Richard Mcwilliams buying me a cup of juice.

As for Sherlocks response, I m very glad you posted what you did. It kept me awake while driving the 10 hours back here to San Francisco cuz I was so mad.

Why would Cryptozoic sell you items at dealer prices? Wouldnt that just offend every card dealer displaying at Comic Con?

In the gift bag, I received a Tshirt, a nice keychain, a bottle opener, promo cards and four packs. Were you expecting VIP autos that you can fling on Feebay?

Even though they had announced that there were 6 big prizes to be raffled off, everyone won something. That wasnt announced until later.

Come to think of it, you must be the kid that asked for your gift bag like 10 minutes after the event opened saying you had to go back to the convention. Must have realized at that point, since you cant buy boxes at "dealer prices" and probably not gonna win one of the six, I m not gonna make too much money there. Lets hurry back to the convention center so I can buy some exclusives there at least.

This email is going too long but I have much to say. I ll end by, do you even buy non sport cards or even care about the industry? Were you stalking the internet that day for Comic Con exclusives and just happened to see the VIP party and signed up?

Norm

Posts: 33 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: April 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robomole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gst177:
Come to think of it, you must be the kid that asked for your gift bag like 10 minutes after the event opened saying you had to go back to the convention. Must have realized at that point, since you cant buy boxes at "dealer prices" and probably not gonna win one of the six, I m not gonna make too much money there. Lets hurry back to the convention center so I can buy some exclusives there at least.

Actually, I was that kid! I had a ticket to the Breaking Bad Autograph Signing and there was no way in heck I was gonna miss that! My only complaint is that I wish the event was earlier, so that people who have other events to get to can go to both. But for the short time I was there I had a great time! Pastries... yummmm.

P.S. Aaron Paul gave me some prop meth from the show! Smile

Posts: 209 | Location: El Cajon, California | Registered: October 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

If they come - We will take THEM out to lunch

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
Would have given my left --- to go to the Crypto soiree Wink

Reminds me of the great events that Uncle Alan (Inkworks) and Non-Sport Update (the lovable Tosers) used to provide to us fans at Comic Cons past Clap

Such generousity is not forgotten!

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gst177:
Do I see any of the other non sport card companies hosting a party or even having a presence at SDCC? No.

This isn't strictly true, as Upper Deck had their little booth where they were selling Iron Man, Cap, Marvel Beginnings II, and Avengers card packs at a very reasonable price. They even had an deal for one of each pack plus a random sketch card for $15! Granted, it sold out immediately on preview night as did the lone hobby box of Avengers cards they brought. They also had the Avengers retail rack packs at a good price in the first place, and I saw a guy swinging a good deal for what they had left literally as the show was closing Sunday. Apparently those have a goodly number of costume cards in them, good luck to him, he's where I got the information on what happened with the sold out stuff on Wednesday, since I wasn't there Preview night.

Additionally, Panini was there with a classy little booth and while card-wise, they only had base cards from Studio Americana, Justin Beiber, and Michael Jackson to give out, they did so very politely, and gave out a TON of them as they had a good location for a lot of foot traffic. They even had a good reason for not having specially made promos for the show. They'd only secured their space on the floor just days before the convention and thought they wouldn't be able to go at all. Ironically, it might've been Artbox cancelling their booth that created the space for them. The friendly fellow at the Panini booth told me they'd be there next year in a big way with show specific promos and merchandise for sale. Beyond cards, they also gave out uncut Panini sticker sheets from Disney's Brave, among other cool items. Like I said, classy.

As for Cryptozoic, what they did for the collectors by even having a special event was a fantastic show of love for collectors so to hear it derided in any way does make me fearful it could make CZE hesitant to do something similar in the future. So I think a simple two words, "Thank You" from all 40 attendees is warranted on this board, maybe a description of what happened there, and not much more.

And how awesome to see a card shop in downtown San Diego! Being at the convention only Thursday and Sunday with LOTS to do, I didn't get to go to it, but I did get see it on the way home yesterday, and it looked great from the street.

Even so, there was one small snafu with Crytozoic cards at this convention and it was with the distribution of the SDCC1 Walking Dead promo at the AMC booth. For the first few days, people who actually came and asked for the card specifically seemed to have had a hard time getting one. That in and of itself is fine, if a card is tough to get, so be it, and all the better for the those who were willing to dress as a zombie or else just got lucky some other way and acqured one.

The rub is, that on Sunday, when I think the AMC booth workers saw how many they were going to have left over, towards the end of the show, they were handing them out in good numbers to passersby not even necessarily interested in The Walking Dead, either the TV show or the cards based on it. Indeed, once I spied this occurrence and had gotten my own card, I was able to, in the immediate area, simply bend down and pick up two more off the ground discarded by the people they'd just been handed to. While I rescued those cards before too many people had stepped on them, it does seem a bit sad that at least some of the others distibuted in that manner met a harsher fate on Sunday afternoon while interested collectors who specifically asked for them (therefore prospective or even worse, actual Cryptozoic customers) only days, if not hours before, had been refused them.

Even so, big thumbs up to Crytozoic, Panini, Upper Deck, and while I'm at it, also Topps and Breygent at this year's Comic Con.

Tom's mystery packs again offered an incredible combination of quality and value. I picked up 3 packs on Thursday and 3 more on Sunday, and had a blast opening them both days. The Topps Mars Attacks promotion had collectors walking nearly the entire floor for the puzzle set, and they made enough of them (I think 3,500 per card) so that anyone who really wanted them could get a set in less than an hour. Still, I wish there was a Topps booth like in the good ol' days. Fingers crossed for next year!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post