Cryptozoic's Non-Sport Trading Card Event at Comic Con International

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6236037711/m/7237042126

July 16, 2012, 03:48 PM
Chris Cline
Cryptozoic's Non-Sport Trading Card Event at Comic Con International
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
If Cryptozoic would like to come to Memorabilia in November i promise that we will be happy just to see you. Wavey

and to the Denver Comic Con next June! We would love to have you! The Con ran lots of card games and there were a few dealers that had some stuff but nothing like the great stuff you guys had at SDCC.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/
July 16, 2012, 04:43 PM
Triple-Frog
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:
If Cryptozoic would like to come to Memorabilia in November i promise that we will be happy just to see you. Wavey

If they come - We will take THEM out to lunch

I second that although given the culinary options at the NEC they may not thank us Big Grin .
July 16, 2012, 04:58 PM
Graham
I'd treat them to Jellied Eels and Liquor Big Grin
July 16, 2012, 06:31 PM
Kevin F
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
How can you 'treat' anyone to Jellied Eels ? Big Grin
July 16, 2012, 07:25 PM
Batman
Yuck! Maybe I should cancel my trip! Big Grin

July 16, 2012, 10:48 PM
John Tirohn
Though not getting an invite to the NSU event I had a very nice time getting autos from Lauren and Steven!
July 17, 2012, 12:47 AM
Scott Gaeta
Hi All,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the feedback and I'm glad that so many of you had a good time. I know I did. It's not often that I get to geek out with fellow collectors.

We definitely want to do something like this again next year and maybe at other shows we attend too.

Best,

Scott

July 17, 2012, 01:03 AM
NL
I attended and it was a very nice event.

We were able to chat with the artists and look at their portfolios which are always awesome. Being able to meet some of my favorite artists (Marat Mychels and Tim Shay) was definitely a treat.

There were various sketches and samples of upcoming products (loved the DC stuff) around the room at various tables.

A continental breakfast of fresh fruits, assorted pastries, OJ and coffee was provided. There was enough seating for everyone and it was nice meeting other fellow NSU'ers.

The staff tried to make sure everyone got a shot at getting something that they wanted as there were limited quantities of some items but enough of some for all. They had a lottery system as well as giveaways to accommodate most of us. Each of us got a goody bag which was also very cool.

Getting tired of the entitlement phenomenon. If someone goes out of their way to do something special, the least we can do is to show some appreciation. I want to thank Cryptozoic for having this event and look forward to seeing you all at the next Con.
July 17, 2012, 01:33 AM
hammer
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:

Not at the NEC!!! Fish and Chips will do nicely
July 17, 2012, 08:35 AM
Kevin F
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Not at the NEC!!! Fish and Chips will do nicely
As long as McDonalds haven't sponsored the event, in which case chips would be off the menu* Twak

* For those outside the UK, that's a topical Olympic reference Big Grin
July 17, 2012, 09:46 AM
wolfie
What do McDonalds know about chips?

July 17, 2012, 10:26 AM
Kevin F
quote:
Nothing whatsoever but that hasn't stopped them from getting the Olympic organisers to ban other 'restaurants' at Olympic venues from selling chips to their customers:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...ips-unless-FISH.html
July 17, 2012, 10:31 AM
MrBlueofnyc
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
quote:
Originally posted by Gst177:
Do I see any of the other non sport card companies hosting a party or even having a presence at SDCC? No.

This isn't strictly true, as Upper Deck had their little booth where they were selling Iron Man, Cap, Marvel Beginnings II, and Avengers card packs at a very reasonable price. They even had an deal for one of each pack plus a random sketch card for $15! Granted, it sold out immediately on preview night as did the lone hobby box of Avengers cards they brought. They also had the Avengers retail rack packs at a good price in the first place, and I saw a guy swinging a good deal for what they had left literally as the show was closing Sunday. Apparently those have a goodly number of costume cards in them, good luck to him, he's where I got the information on what happened with the sold out stuff on Wednesday, since I wasn't there Preview night.

Additionally, Panini was there with a classy little booth and while card-wise, they only had base cards from Studio Americana, Justin Beiber, and Michael Jackson to give out, they did so very politely, and gave out a TON of them as they had a good location for a lot of foot traffic. They even had a good reason for not having specially made promos for the show. They'd only secured their space on the floor just days before the convention and thought they wouldn't be able to go at all. Ironically, it might've been Artbox cancelling their booth that created the space for them. The friendly fellow at the Panini booth told me they'd be there next year in a big way with show specific promos and merchandise for sale. Beyond cards, they also gave out uncut Panini sticker sheets from Disney's Brave, among other cool items. Like I said, classy.

As for Cryptozoic, what they did for the collectors by even having a special event was a fantastic show of love for collectors so to hear it derided in any way does make me fearful it could make CZE hesitant to do something similar in the future. So I think a simple two words, "Thank You" from all 40 attendees is warranted on this board, maybe a description of what happened there, and not much more.

And how awesome to see a card shop in downtown San Diego! Being at the convention only Thursday and Sunday with LOTS to do, I didn't get to go to it, but I did get see it on the way home yesterday, and it looked great from the street.

Even so, there was one small snafu with Crytozoic cards at this convention and it was with the distribution of the SDCC1 Walking Dead promo at the AMC booth. For the first few days, people who actually came and asked for the card specifically seemed to have had a hard time getting one. That in and of itself is fine, if a card is tough to get, so be it, and all the better for the those who were willing to dress as a zombie or else just got lucky some other way and acqured one.

The rub is, that on Sunday, when I think the AMC booth workers saw how many they were going to have left over, towards the end of the show, they were handing them out in good numbers to passersby not even necessarily interested in The Walking Dead, either the TV show or the cards based on it. Indeed, once I spied this occurrence and had gotten my own card, I was able to, in the immediate area, simply bend down and pick up two more off the ground discarded by the people they'd just been handed to. While I rescued those cards before too many people had stepped on them, it does seem a bit sad that at least some of the others distibuted in that manner met a harsher fate on Sunday afternoon while interested collectors who specifically asked for them (therefore prospective or even worse, actual Cryptozoic customers) only days, if not hours before, had been refused them.

Even so, big thumbs up to Crytozoic, Panini, Upper Deck, and while I'm at it, also Topps and Breygent at this year's Comic Con.

Tom's mystery packs again offered an incredible combination of quality and value. I picked up 3 packs on Thursday and 3 more on Sunday, and had a blast opening them both days. The Topps Mars Attacks promotion had collectors walking nearly the entire floor for the puzzle set, and they made enough of them (I think 3,500 per card) so that anyone who really wanted them could get a set in less than an hour. Still, I wish there was a Topps booth like in the good ol' days. Fingers crossed for next year!

You forgot about us!!!( 258 West Authentic ) We had our Tom Hiddleston SDCC exclusive for only $50 (vs Upper Decks at $500)

July 17, 2012, 12:32 PM
Sidewinder
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
Nothing whatsoever but that hasn't stopped them from getting the Olympic organisers to ban other 'restaurants' at Olympic venues from selling chips to their customers:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...ips-unless-FISH.html

OMG, you've got to be joking! Macca's don't even call them chips, they call then fries.
July 17, 2012, 12:54 PM
chesspieceface
quote:
Originally posted by MrBlueofnyc:
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
quote:
Originally posted by Gst177:
Do I see any of the other non sport card companies hosting a party or even having a presence at SDCC? No.

Tom's mystery packs again offered an incredible combination of quality and value. I picked up 3 packs on Thursday and 3 more on Sunday, and had a blast opening them both days. The Topps Mars Attacks promotion had collectors walking nearly the entire floor for the puzzle set, and they made enough of them (I think 3,500 per card) so that anyone who really wanted them could get a set in less than an hour. Still, I wish there was a Topps booth like in the good ol' days. Fingers crossed for next year!

You forgot about us!!!( 258 West Authentic ) We had our Tom Hiddleston SDCC exclusive for only $50 (vs Upper Decks at $500)

Absolutely, I stand corrected.
258 Wast had a booth with some great values. There were even Emilia Clarke autos for only $20, a nice alternative for those not wanting or able to pay the $200 for the Game of Thrones one.

July 17, 2012, 01:20 PM
BILLZEE
quote:
258 Wast had a booth with some great values. There were even Emilia Clarke autos for only $20, a nice alternative for those not wanting or able to pay the $200 for the Game of Thrones one.

Emilia Clarke autos for only $20??! Eek
Stop! Your killing me...!
July 17, 2012, 01:46 PM
Kevin F
quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:
OMG, you've got to be joking! Macca's don't even call them chips, they call then fries.
Nope, not a joke Shake Head
July 17, 2012, 04:21 PM
Roxanne
Cryptozoic has been a great addition to the non-sport hobby. When we recently held the first-ever Pop Art Con, they sponsored a Saturday evening buffet-style dinner for more than 50 people, including show attendees, manufacturers and artists. They also sponsored two artists: Tim Shay from California and Gary Kazele from the state of Washington.They make the trips from California to Allentown, PA for the Philly Non-Sports Card Shows. They do not deserve criticism but deserve a big "thank you."

July 17, 2012, 05:22 PM
chesspieceface
quote:
Originally posted by robomole:
.... I had a ticket to the Breaking Bad Autograph Signing and there was no way in heck I was gonna miss that!....

P.S. Aaron Paul gave me some prop meth from the show! Smile

HaHa, that's great! If there were a "Breaking Bad" card set, can you imagine some of the messed up prop cards they could make from that show?!

Just curious but how was the prop meth, um, packaged?

July 17, 2012, 06:06 PM
Ace of Hearts
I can understand why some people kiss up to the manufacturers but the others... makes no sense.