Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Wizard World Philly Report
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wizard World Philly Report
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted
It turned out to be a great day weather-wise in Philly after a night of severe storms in the Tri-state area, arrived right at 11:30 to meet up with Alan and Harris for lunch at Maggiano's Italian restaurant, had the chicken and spinach manicotti which was good (Thanks, Alan!) and we were off to the show!

Many of the celebrities had not yet arrived yet, but we did see a numebr of them and Alan and Harris got some great interviews and photos, but you will have to check out the NSU blog at the end of the weekend to get the full details, but I can tell you that they got some top-notch people who all have ties to trading cards, and maybe even more so after you see the photos, you must check them out as you will be missing something special if you don't.

We spent almost five hours walking the show, it's a much better show than the WW NYC show, we saw Tbear, who was the only vendor at the show with a nice selection of cards, also saw Derek who was helping out at a comics vendor, and we also saw Stuffguy walking the show floor. There was a decent sized artist alley, we saw Sara Richard, Brian Kong and his wife, John Hughes who was working on some impressive Kree Skrull cards for the upcoming UD release, and a number of other artists who had worked on various sketch card sets.

Norton had a Captain America "security" exhibit, which was really just a pitch to sell anti-virus, but it was an interesting diversion. We got our photos taken with an action scene from the film, but only Harris has access to these, so I have not seen it yet.

We did find some cards, including a couple of interesting finds. First up was a 15 card set that you could get singles of from phl 17, a Philadelphia TV station. There are 5 Family Guy cards, 5 Two and a Half Men cards, and 5 Big Bang Theory cards. I managed to get 12 of the 15, nice cards I will be looking for the missing three cards. We also found a table where they had the elusive Conspiracy of the Planet of the Apes promo # 0/9. We tried to get extras, but could only get one each. We also found 501st Legion cards, I got 12 different ones.

Left the show and had a beer at the local sports bar, Harris then set off for a music store and Alan and I made our way back to our cars. It was a long but enjoyable day, and got some cool cards, too. Next up, SDCC in July, NYCC in October, and then Allentown the following week. Looking forward to those shows already!

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had a very good day Thumb Up

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
God thats a nasty looking ape on that card. The Dr Cornelius is allright though. Big Grin Wave

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear everyone had fun.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
Harris is my HERO. Oh heck, I forgot to put on my glasses. Clap Roll Eyes Eek

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Great report Bob!! The only thing that I would add is that those Family Guy, Two and a Half Men, and Big Band Theory "cards" are business card sized.

The pictures are now up on the blog. Go take a look!!

Wizard World 2011 Photos

Here are a few more of some fools clowning around. Big Grin

Whare are the celebrities??

Batman, Batman, and General Lee

Adam West?

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:

Batman, Batman, and General Lee

And Luke Duke in the background!! Big Grin

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Great pics but where are the ones of Harris wearing some weird hat? Smile

On the blog photos... were those little LEGO Daleks?

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
Hey, if you go to the new NSU Blog to check out the pics....I saw my brother {NSU member McCheese8472} in pic # 17. Him and his wife {Mrs. McCheese...} are behind actor Jake Lloyd.
He's in that maroon colored tee-shirt and his wife is barely visible behind Mr. Lloyd's right ear, laughing.

Too funny.

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Lizzy:
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:

And Luke Duke in the background!! Big Grin

Isn't John Schneider a pretty good signer, too ?

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
And he's Mr. Kent!

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Batman with Batman - Great Picture Thumb Up

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WandringRebel:
Great pics but where are the ones of Harris wearing some weird hat? Smile

On the blog photos... were those little LEGO Daleks?

Yeah, they are. I thought they were really cool. That stand was for an enthusiast group (unfortunately, I neglected to pick-up any literature with their name). They had the Star Wars cafeteria shot that I posted and the Daleks as well as Universal Monsters and more. Really cool stuff!!

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
We had a great time at the overpriced and overpacked show! Seriously, WW prices are out of control, that said, I had fun at CT member Tbear's table, so thanks Ted!

Harris, I enjoyed your interview w/Clare Kramer. Hope to read more in the future from you.

BTW - I think Clare Kramer is by far my favorite ever convention guest, but we met the Julie Benz and Mercedes McNab(first time for that). I had to skip Nick Brendon(but we met him last year in NY, so that's OK).

I will say Julie Benz does a great panel, so if you ever get a chance to go to one of her panels, do so.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to thanks everyone who stopped by our booth even though Wizard had us listed in the wrong spot =)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MrBlueofnyc,

Posts: 522 | Location: New York City | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jane:
Harris, I enjoyed your interview w/Clare Kramer. Hope to read more in the future from you.

Thanks very much Jane! Appreciate that.

I am glad we went Friday. From what you've said here and on Twitter, it sounds like it was madness there on Saturday. It wasn't too bad on Friday.

Glad you got to go to the Julie Benz panel. That would have been cool.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
The show was a lot of fun and I am glad I got to meet Mercedes McNab and Clare Kramer, but that might have been the most crowded Wizard World I have ever been to on a Saturday. I also was glad to see TBear there since card dealers are rare at comic cons these days.

Loved the blog as well Harris.

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much Val. I appreciate that. Smile Smile Too bad we missed you guys though, though from the sounds of it, I might have had trouble putting up with the Saturday crowd so I'm glad we were able to go on Friday.

Alan has an interview to post tomorrow that everyone should like (I think it'll be tomorrow, anyway) and then I'll have one more to post in a couple of days as well.

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Alan Biegel spoke with Nicholas Brendon at the show and that interview is now up on the blog, for anyone who cares to read. Big Grin Thanks.