Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Memorabilia Birmingham - 18/19 November 2017
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Memorabilia Birmingham - 18/19 November 2017
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted
So I assume for the first time in 10+ Years NSU will NOT be at the Memorabilia Show next week? BIG SHAME if they are not.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paul hart
posted Hide Post
Agreed! Also first time in 25 years im not doing the show! Going up for a wander! But ever larger table prices makes the decession

Posts: 353 | Location: uk | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ill be there on the Sunday, mainly to get a few autos ( David Bradley, Dan Starkey, and Bernard Cribbins ). Not holding out much hope I will find anything for the card collector Frown , looks like the organisers have finally priced dealers out of the show Shake Head .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Will Unstoppable or Cult Stuff have any new promos there ?

Probably not Cult Stuff, as we have not heard from them in almost a year...No word on whether they are still around. No new product

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:

Extremely unlikely.!

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:

Probably not Cult Stuff, as we have not heard from them in almost a year...No word on whether they are still around. No new product

There has not been a manufacturer presence at the show for years, no backing from the show organisers and the virtual takeover of the event by cos-players means it is just not worth the expense for them and it appears to now be the same for dealers. The only show exclusive promos were the ones from NSU special editions so I don't expect to see any promos at all this year.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
So I assume for the first time in 10+ Years NSU will NOT be at the Memorabilia Show next week? BIG SHAME if they are not.

Unfortunately, Non-Sport Update will not be set up at the show this year. Bummer! And also upsetting that Paul is also not setting up. Hope those that go have a good time and hope someone posts a show report.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Was I the only Cardtalker to go? Can't say I'm surprised as there was very little card related at the show. Only dealer set up that I could find was Derek.

At least it meant I could spend more time talking to the artists and celebrities. For a Sunday it was really busy in terms of people attending even if as usual these days most of them were just wandering around in costumes Roll Eyes .

I got into the halls ( they were using 3 of the smaller halls, I think 8,9, and 10, with the partitions between them taken down ) around 09.40 and went to the autograph area first where I had nice chats and signed pics with Ian McElhinney from Game of Thrones and then Janet Fielding from Doctor Who . Got her to sign my Original Who 16 x 12 print that I have been getting signatures on for many years now Smile .

Then found Huy Truong in the artist village and talked to him about some of the projects he is currently working on ( watch out for his superb work on the next Perna set as well as both Star Wars for Topps and Star Trek for Rittenhouse ).

Bought some of his sketchbooks and also a couple of beautiful original A4 ( 8.5 x 11.5 ) sketches that sadly my camera can't do justice to.

Then had a quick chat with Carolyn Edwards and bought a couple of her great value framed prints.

By then it was 12.15 and getting really crowded in some of the more popular areas and I decided it was time to go. For me it was worth it just to get the autographs and talk to two of the UK's best card artists but from a card collecting standpoint the show is very poor now.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report, i'm glad to see you were able to get some really great stuff. Thumb Up

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Thanks for posting the report Triple-Frog. I was sorry to have missed it. Your Doctor Who signature piece is very impressive.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cardcollectors uk
posted Hide Post
Hi, I was at the show, but only with the remnants of my folders. The shows have changed completely, with a new younger audience who dont know what the product is. It's a shame but it's the way the hobby seems to have gone, aiming for the ever higher price tag.
I now sell Pokemon and Yugioh! cards which sell in exactly the same way the trading cards used to sell in the 90's because they are priced and presented in the same way. It's not rocket science. Rant over Smile

Posts: 128 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
I didnt go either, i wasnt impressed last year and decided to skip. Im guttted for dealers like Derek who are great to deal with. I dont know how im going to renew my nsu subscription?

Then theres the state of the hobby in the UK. I cant see how its going to survive without things changing. If memorabelia as the premier event is a litmus test for collectors then the UK is in big trouble.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve j:
I didnt go either, i wasnt impressed last year and decided to skip. Im guttted for dealers like Derek who are great to deal with. I dont know how im going to renew my nsu subscription?

Then theres the state of the hobby in the UK. I cant see how its going to survive without things changing. If memorabelia as the premier event is a litmus test for collectors then the UK is in big trouble.

I don't think we will ever get the equivalent of the show special we got when Harris came over so it looks like $60!!!! Eek Eek

As for card collecting/Memorabilia I'm not sure if it's the litmus test as the show isn't about what it was 10 years ago. The litmus test would be if somebody put a card show together in the UK - firstly would dealers support it and secondly would collectors go? I think our hobby has become a mainly internet based hobby and collectors in UK and USA do not bother to support shows even if they are relatively close to them.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post