Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    D23 Disney Expo trip report
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

D23 Disney Expo trip report
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
I was able to go to the D23 Disney Expo on Friday. I was considering going on Saturday as well, but they sold out of tickets halfway through the day on Friday.
The place was packed with people. They definitely sold too many tickets for the amount of panels and presentations that were in place.
I wasn't able to attend three of the presentations I wanted to attend due to them reaching capacity early including the two in the 4000 seat arena.
This was a big difference from the last show in 2009 when I was able to attend any presentation I wanted as long as I was there 20-30 minutes early.

Anyways, on to the show.

The first presentation I attended was a screening of the new Prep & Landing: Naughty vs. Nice animated Christmas special. It was followed by a panel Q & A with Directors Kevin Deters & Stevie Wermers, Producer Dorothy McKim, Composer Michael Giacchino and Voice Actors Dave Foley & Chris Parnell.
It was a very fun presentation punctuated by great responses from the awesome Dave Foley.

Here's a photo of Dave Foley, Chris Parnell, Michael Giacchino & the moderator.

I also won this during the presentation.

And afterwards there was a signing with the directors and producer.

The next presentation I attended was the US Postal Service Pixar Stamps 1st Day of Issue Ceremony. I only stayed about halfway through. I attended to hear the remarks from John Lasseter and as soon as he was done, I left.

The last presentation I attended was the reason for going on Friday, Dick VanDyke and the Vantastix in concert. I showed up 2 hours early and ended up in about the 150th spot in the standby line for a 1000 seat room. Luckily, after a 2 hour and 40 minute wait, I was able to get in.

Here are a couple of photos.

Also, I was able to pick up an autograph from Margaret Kerry (Tinkerbell model, mermaid in Peter Pan, Our Gang actor).
I probably shouldn't have waited the hour and 20 minutes, but the line seemed shorter than it actually was.

Finally, here are some photos of props and costumes that were on display.

Pirates of the Caribbean boat miniature prop

Pirates of the Caribbean mermaid coffin

Pirates of the Caribbean Black Pearl in a bottle

Pirates of the Caribbean assorted props

Pirates of the Caribbean Captain Jack Sparrow costume

Disneyland Opening Ceremonies Mickey Mouse doll that rode with Walt Disney on his train arrival

Assorted Walt Disney memorabilia

Zorro costume

Sleeping Beauty opening and closing titles book and pages

Annette Mouseketeers outfit

Who Framed Roger Rabbit window shades prop

Who Framed Roger Rabbit dip truck miniature prop

Alice in Wonderland Mad Hatter and Alice costumes

Posts: 649 | Location: California | Registered: November 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report and the photos. I've seen videos online but this is the first batch of photos I've found. I love Prep and Landing, it's cool to see the shirt and signatures you were able to get.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the photos...I saw some of the show from the WDW radio show live broadcast, but I wish I could have been there.

Posts: 378 | Location: New Milford, CT | Registered: February 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Artist
posted Hide Post
The Margaret Kerry autograph, it this a poster or a oversize card?

Posts: 231 | Location: South of the border, TX, USA | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Artist:
The Margaret Kerry autograph, it this a poster or a oversize card?

It's a page from the program.

Posts: 649 | Location: California | Registered: November 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was there too last year but on saturday. For an average convention and for a convention that wasn't comic con, it sure was an expensive convention to attend. They had a dealer or two who sold cards there but I never found the booth(s). Disney has a history of comics and trading comics but you wouldn't know it from this convention. All I saw were the new and recent comics by the current writers and artists. Still, there was alot of things to see and do, so it wasn't that bad after all (Now, nobody start singing "It's a Small World, Afterall."). Unfortunately, the Disney Convention (or D23 Expo) will not return until 2013. You'd think with the Disney Convention being in the same city as Disneyland, they could plan the convention every year. But, nooo... Roll Eyes

Posts: 9 | Location: Vista | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures. Some neat things there.

Mike.

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post